back to article Montblanc's Gandhi pen run out

Luxury pen maker Montblanc has suspended sales of its £16k* Mahatma Gandhi fountain pen pending an Indian court decision as to whether it's legit to punt the extravagantly-priced writing device. The release of the limited-edition pen last year prompted a chorus of protests in India, despite Montblanc's assertion that it was " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. disgruntled yank

back to tech

Does the foundation get anything for the use of Gandhi's image in Apple's "Think Different" ads?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

A 16 grand pen?!?

"His charitable foundation also gets between £130 and £650 per unit shifted."

That makes it all right then!

1. Chris007
      Coat

I read this as

"His charitable foundation also gets between £130 and £650 per sucker shafted"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"He'd have thrown it away"

I understand he had no concern over the purported monetary value, but its not very green is it? He could at least give it to an appreciative small child to use at school.

AC to avoid the flying sandals

4. The Indomitable Gall
    FAIL

Uh-huh...

"£16k says the Beeb, £14,400 according to reports last year."

I think -- and I may be wrong here -- that the rupee is stronger than last year...?

5. archengel46
    Megaphone

Inflation

reason for the extra £1600

6. Mike Kamermans
    FAIL

And the pen looks like...

this: http://www.montblanc.com/products/11867.php

Why it's anything over £100, I have no idea.

7. skeptical i
    FAIL

If Jesus would have wept ...

what would Gandhi have done?

This is so wrong, words fail me.

1. MarkS

why?

It's not like they are associating his name with a poor quality product.

8. Eduard Coli
    Alert

Idealism is so cute

It is doubtful that M.H. Gandhi would have thrown it away as he knew the value of a pound.

He may have disposed of it because of the "Britishness" of it or so that it could be sold.

Perhaps if the pen were developed by a firm native to India this would not have even made the news?

9. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    WTF?

Hang on...

... the article makes it pretty clear that the pen *is* endorsed by the more famous Gandhi's *grandson*. As said grandson is named "Tushar Arun Gandhi", he has as much right to endorse Montblanc's pricey pens as anyone else who shares his surname.

And yes, Montblanc's pens are expensive. They're aimed at *collectors*. They're made using ridiculously expensive components and are designed for the kind of people who consider very, very neat handwriting one of the highest forms of art.

No, I don't get it either, but most people wouldn't "get" vast tracts of the IT sector either. Deal with it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone spending over £50 on a pen

Should be dragged to somewhere like Haiti and be forced to bury the bodies.

1. MarkS
      Thumb Down

and I guess

the same should go for people who spend a small fortune on computers when there are £300 netbooks available?

11. Crazy Operations Guy

Ah capitalizism

This reminds me of the 'Che the Revolutionary' shirts that are so popular in here in the US, funny how Che fought AGAINST capitalism and yet his face makes Millions of dollars a year.... Or how 'Castro Hats' have become popular....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like