back to article Panasonic CF-Y5 Toughbook laptop

The CF-Y5 sits at the executive end of its Toughbook range, which if you're actually a stubble-sporting, rugged type, is realistically nearer the bottom of any table of toughness. So you won't be able to drop it down a crevice in the Antarctic and still expect to send an email. Panasonic CF-Y5 Toughbook laptop But if you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel Silver badge

IBM ThinkPads are tougher

IBM's ThinkPad T series laptops have been featuring a magnesium alloy cage and pretty much all this 'tough' stuff for years - they just didn't feel the need to name their entire laptop range around the fact....

It's a well known fact the IBM laptop salesmen would stand on their laptops during customer demonstrations, along with tipping them off tables and the like.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you miss the point

I work for BT Openreach and this is exactly the kind of laptop that they look for. Road Warriors ? bunch of pussies who need a laptop that can withstand a splash of Evian!

Reality is something that can withstand UK rain while still functioning enough to provide wireless access to customer records.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Husky

Out of curiousity, who makes real ruggedised laptops? These "toughbooks" have the air of a sports utility vehicle. I envisage a company out there that makes 386-based laptops out of granite, that can withstand a nuclear blast and dunking in acid - the kind of company we never, ever heard about, but that exists and sells to the government.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM? Hah!

Yes, I know the IBM gimmick, and I've seen it too.

And when our (60? kg) team leader tried it, she cracked the screen. Needless to say, IBM replaced the machine FOC.

Yes, just like with the toughbook, you *can* do it if you position your feet over the edge of the machine. But in the middle, they're still pretty 'bendy', which I assume Panasonic has dealt with.

5. Greg

Re: Husky

"I envisage a company out there that makes 386-based laptops out of granite, that can withstand a nuclear blast and dunking in acid"

That company exists - or existed - and it was Panasonic! The old ToughBooks were invincible. Feller I know used to have one. Wasn't massively powerful, but he once demonstrated its toughness to me by dropping it on the floor, kicking it across the room, smacking it off the worktop a few times and running a tap over it. He then opened it up and went right back to his letter. Needless to say, I was impressed.

For a ToughBook, or at least the ToughBooks I know and love, this sucker looks rather weedy.

6. Stephen Byrne

This is a bottom of the range model

Panasonic do make some really tough notebooks, but you'll pay 4 or 5 grand for them.

Check it out

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/testimonials.htm

7. Hayden Clark Silver badge

Thinkpads bounce

Twice, I have seen a Thinkpad hit the floor. These were open, in use, and somebody caught the power cable while walking past. Meeting room table, concrete floor coated in thin office carpet.

In both cases, the owner picked up the machine, confirmed it wasn't damaged, and carried on working. The smart hard-drive protection has a lot to do with it, but the stiff screen casing and flexible sytem case helps too.

If it was my money, I'd buy one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like