back to article BBC iPlayer rejects open source plugins, takes Flash-only path

The BBC has quietly updated its hugely popular iPlayer with a verification layer that closes the door on open source implementations of RTMP (real-time messaging protocol) streaming, The Register has learned. The Beeb applied the update to its online video catch-up service on 18 February, just four days after Adobe Systems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petzlux
    FAIL

Does this apply to Boxee as well ?

Oh crap, I just dont get it why they seem to think that people only want to use Iplayer on their desktop PC. I have used Boxee on my MediaPC hooked up to my TV for the past months and been watching a fair bit of Iplayer content through TV that way ...

IPTV is the future Beeb, why do you want to restrict how the license paying public can consume your content!!!!

1. Petey
      Paris Hilton

I use Boxee too BUT (big but)...

... I know a lot of people who are ditching their TV and TV service entirely in favour of netTV. In the UK this means you don't need a TV license.

BBC iPlayer is specifically for UK TV licence subscribers as the content held therein is not even available in the Republic of Ireland, yet BBC has always been broadcast there.

DRM etc is a load of shit but I can see why they would want to do this. I don't agree with it.

p.s. Boxee ROCKS. And yes, this will apply to Boxee as well.

Paris, because she lets the whole world see her Flash for free.

1. The BigYin

No license

"In the UK this means you don't need a TV license."

Potentially wrong.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

1. Velv
          Flame

Broadcast ?

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast."

Interesting legal situation - does a stream constitute a broadcast. Could be argued either way. User is selecting a channel and the BBC are broadcasting that stream to them. Could be argued it's a narrowcast?

Ironically, the download of the complete program clearly isn't you watching "as it's being broadcast"

1. Rob
            Unhappy

Bet your last pound...

... that a stream will be considered a broadcast.

At the end of the day when a TV Licensing van is driving round trying to catch the non-payers all that van will hear on it's parabolic mic is house no.xx is watching spooks and there's no license on the database for it. Expect a fine and no way out of it :(

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No license required...

.. if you only watch the non-live streams from the iPlayer. This was confirmed on one of the BBC iPlayer websites not so long ago by a big boss there.

I guess I still agree with you that it might even be difficult to class the live iPlayer streams as broadcast since at best they could be multicast and almost certainly unicast for iPlayer from a network perspective.

2. EddieD

Ah...

This explains the iPhone apps that the bbc has spent our license fee on.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Licence Fee

You're missing the point with your throw away comment about licence fee payers. At the moment you only need a licence to watch or record live TV. So you don't need a licence to use iPlayer. Therefore any complaints along the lines of "I pay my TV licence fee so I demand that iPlayer supports my chosen client software" are pointless.

You could of course stop paying your licence fee, stop watching live TV and use only iPlayer, 4OD and the rest. If enough people did so maybe it would have some impact. Or maybe they'll just change the licenc terms so you'll need a licence to watch iPlayer content...

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

You're missing the point

No, I think you are missing the point. Think: What funds iPlayer....?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Licence Fee

As the AC says above; where do you think the money comes from to create iPlayer in the first place? In fact the same goes for the entire BBC web site (which Licence payers without internet access pay for, but don't benefit from at all).

If the BBC want to get all proprietary and place all sorts of arbitrary restrictions on content access then fine, make BBC channels optional and charge a subscription instead of the Licence fee (then they can do whatever the hell they like). Otherwise the BBC should remember their public service remit to serve ALL licence payers, not just some of them.

4. s. pam Silver badge
    Headmaster

So -- when can rest of world use it?

Consider our hard earned are used to flood the known physical universe with BBC HD, BBC World, Ceebies, etc in other countries why don't they just open the d4mn thing up, get with Akamai (or similar) and broadcast all their content.

Yet another joke from White City -- "Feh, let's consume more RAM on end users systems, open more security holes with SWF, and give the punters less".

Love the logic, if commercial companies like the Beeb (oops they're a gov't "entity") did this, everyone would be broke. That's unless your coffers aren't controlled by those paying for them!

5. Bethany Corcoran

beebPlayer too

Just tested this with the third party Android program beebPlayer, looks like this has been shut out too. Lame.

1. Shaun 1

beebPlayer

I tested that too, live streaming seems to work (as does live radio on the UKRadio app)

2. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Up

Still working for me:-

Just tried "Banded Brothers" as a test and streamed OK.

1. Chris Pearson

Works for me.

Just watched Mock the Week, seems to be working as well as ever. And I am now watching the live stream of BBC One, which is a bit low quality but it always has been for me.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects 1

Define low quality

I think the best proof of innocence if charged with illegally having a TV capable machine is the Radio Times.

One look at the contents available and the judge would throw it out as said TV would not be watched.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Content protection my arse

If the Beeb want to protect the content, why don't they put some proper content on it, like their back catalogue instead of picking and choosing the stuff that is usually there. Some interesting programmes are available for a week or two before being taken down. Then there's a load of crap on there that's up for months.

The Beeb has messed about with this for too long already. It's my license fee that helped to pay for the programmes and the development of this service and they're just f***ing about.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

<video> and Flash security

Not helped by the brewing browser war over which codecs will be supported in <video> in HTML5.

Flash will die sooner if browser developers side with something like Ogg or if the suspended sentence of 5 years for h.264 is made unlimited.

Will the BBC be culpable with Adobe if a Linux system is hacked because Flash is installed?

1. The BigYin
      Flame

Google...

...they should release the On2 v6 codec (Ogg is based on On2 v3) under an irrevocable free license. Then we can all standardise on that and tell Adobe to ram Flash where the sun doesn't shine.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

BBC is pandering to the Content Provider bullies

It seems that the BBC, even being so large, cannot stand up to the bullying of the content providers who partially/wholly rely on their BBC revenue stream. The BBC are just being weak. If the BBC said "No, f*&k off, we are not going to apply DRM which is never in the consumer's interest" the content providers would just accept it in the vast majority of cases despite complaining about the fact.

Even though the open source get_iplayer with flvstreamer is slightly inconvenienced by this move (it resumes the stream every minute automatically), if you use it with rtmpdump instead of flvstreamer it works perfectly. (you have to add the rtmpdump swf verify option to the command using --rtmptvopts in get_iplayer)

rtmpdump is the open-source tool that had the Adobe DMCA takedown notice last year but has since restarted development at a much accelerated rate outside of the US.

9. Mark C Casey

I use XBMC here

I use XBMC and the iPlayer plugin seems to be working just fine, I keep my plugins up to date so maybe it has been tweaked.

I just tested it by watching a bit of Dr Who and a couple of the live streams (BBC 1 and News 24) and it worked without a problem.

Anyway, if this does ever affect XBMC they can do what Boxee (a fork of XBMC) do and just use a browser with flash.

Funny thing is I use the iplayer plugin on my XBMC HTPC more than I do watching the tv via my freesat pvr and more than I use iplayer on my desktop or laptop pc. I'd rather watch streamed tv on my 40" HDTV with XBMC at my convenience than having to sit in front of a computer monitor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Still works for me too

Not an xbmc user, but I am using the get-iplayer Debian script with Flvstreamer and it works just fine.

2. The BigYin

I shall update...

...and check at the weekend. I have an old xBox, so I doubt it has the jucie to handle Flash.

Thanks for the ray of hope!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

@Mark C Casey

To be clear: in XBMC (bizarrely) live streams are still working. Any "catch-up" streams will cut-off after about 2 minutes of playback.

10. NB
    FAIL

gah!

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with the BBC, surely as a publicly funded body that is meant to be open to all license fee payers they should be focusing on accessibility with a view to promoting open standards?!!

Well fuck 'em. The iPlayer is shit anyway. It doesn't work properly on half the machines I've tried to access it from (all Linux boxes but as it's flash it should be platform independent). So far the most reliably relatively non-shit online tv service I've found is Channel 4's 4od and even that can be quite buggy.

11. Tom 7

I'd be intrigued to look back in 10 years

and trace the career paths of the idiots who decided this:

BBC for a 'decent' period

Short term job in San Hose - just long enough to get their replacements on side.

Then sacked?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a change of heart?

it wasn't long ago that the BBC actively encouraged this plugin

http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/news/archives/2008/05/bbc_iplayer_on.html

13. Rob 101

I wonder...

How that will affect the iplayer application for the iphone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

I wonder...

It doesn't cos iPhones will not do flash - they use simple progressive download using HTTP.

And since BBC is always in bed with Apple's iPhone it will carry on that way.

BTW: Have you noticed how on 'Click' the webscape slot has now been replaced by an iPhone app love-in??

14. BlueFish1104

Aunty Sucks

This REALLY sucks I use the iplayer in media centre and the family really enjoy and use it a lot, now we can't.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/11/26/how-to-bbc-iplayer-in-windows-7-media-center-uk was where i got it from

15. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Doh

Bugger. I hope this doesn't nix the iPlayer Downloader Mac app I use to fetch Dr Who episodes. I'll be miffed if it does.

16. Ben 47
    Thumb Down

No more mobile devices

Bang goes the unofficial iplayer app for Android then :(

17. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

SWF Ver has been around a while now

SWF Verification has been around for a while, the problem (or time it takes) is implementing it with your back-end, this can be gotten around but I won't list the ways (that is what google is for!).

I don't see why people don't understand that the BBC doesn't own most of the content it shows, have you never wondered what those productions companies are at the end of the credits? Like all other commercial providers the BBC have to show they are willing to protect the interests of the content produces.

It's not like we can just record what we see on television anyway!!! Oh wait a sec!!! In the end the content produces have created a system where you don't ever own the content yourself your 'leasing it' and then that leasing comes with plenty of conditions.

Welcome to the future!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: SWF Ver has been around a while now

>> "I don't see why people don't understand that the BBC doesn't own most of the content it shows, have you never wondered what those productions companies are at the end of the credits?"

Try these two links:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/copyright

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/credit

You will notice they have different meanings, this is important for what your about to read....

The BBC *may* own the copyright (right to copy), but the author / contributors (of significance) deserve "credit" (praise / acknowledgment for their work). In broadcast media this is a common practice to attribute 'credit' to someone who worked on / created this type of content.

If the BBC commissions works by a third-party company, I would expect the BBC to request / demand it owns the copyright once the bill is paid and work complete - this is entirely normal practice. Just like in the real world, where your company likely owns all output of the work you do for them - so long as your paid, you relinquish the copyright - even though you may be the author!

These two terms (copyright & credit) are being misunderstood by your good-self, as the BBC likely owns most of the copyright for these works (or has paid a license to to copyright owner), so has the legal obligation and right to protect them from unscrupulous thieving freetards who think anything that's left unattended can be pinched and redistributed without any regard for the law. Its also common for the freetards to think because they may have paid their TV license that they "OWN" the content. Whilst this is an understandable view, the world and the laws are never quite this simple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Re: You will notice they have different meanings, this is important for what your about to read....

You are right to point out that credit can be given but that doesn't always imply ownership, but it can do so. For example BBC broadcast http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/heroes/. They pay for distribution rights (or at least I think so) but also have the content on iplayer, this means that they have to put protection in place to protect this content at the request of the content producer.

>thieving freetards

The problem as I see it is that producers and distributors think they deserve 'buckets' of cash for it, no matter the quality of said content, so while there will be thieving freetards there is also thieving moneytards.

>"OWN" the content

I wish, I think MOST people are fully aware that they don't own what they buy any more.

18. Mark C Casey

Oh...

I only tested it a little bit with XBMC, apparently it'll work for a while but then it'll fail.

I haven't watched any programs this week on iplayer.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Whats the point of content protecting iPlayer anyway?

Anyone who wants to keep a copy of the program can just video it off air anyway!

Some braincells need banging together down in what passes for the BBCs IT department.

20. Daniel 1

Herein lies the problem

Ripped off content is often more usable, better quality, and more enjoyable to consume, than the legitimate, paid-for content.

The reason we all know the "You wouldn't steal a car... You wouldn't steal a bicycle... You wouldn't steal a half-eaten doughnut..." advert, is that we've all been forced to sit through it, at some point in our lives (usually a short time, prior, to switching the damn thing off and saying "Fuck this. Where can I download a proper copy of this movie?")

For every aggrieved artist, complaining about freeloaders stealing their stuffz, there are cohorts of pointy-haired executives, who want to take control of our personal electronics, and turn home entertainment into some bizarre variant of the Ludovico Technique.

21. frank ly
    Thumb Down

Auntie Never Lies ?

"Since launch in 2007, BBC iPlayer has always used content protection in order to provide UK audiences ......"

I believe that from launch, the BBC iPlayer has in fact used 'access protection', based on the IP-address of the incoming request, to shut out non-UK viewers (which is reasonable).

This new arrangement is in fact a form of lock-in to a particular technology and I wonder if Tom 7 has hit the nail on the head.

The BBC statement is misleading to say the least.

22. MattW

I pay for this content BBC!

Looks like it's broken beebPlayer on Android too.

Words fail me with the BBC.

23. Craig 2
    FAIL

XBMC

As a long time user of XBMC it is really sad that they have gone down this route. The kids use it mainly to watch iplayer CBBC / Cbeebies and it means there are the shows they want, when they want, without adverts. Something good that worked and the whole (non-tech) family can and did use is now broken. Now iplayer comes through the Wii, and the interface is just awful compared to XBMC. Plus, instead of digital all the way, it's now coming through a component cable.

Bad times.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Great News

At last the BBC are being a bit less anti-competitive by levelling the playing field.

Their ability to not use DRM gave them a huge advantage over all the others and now they are playing by the same rules. They are still cheating by delivering to the iPhone (sans-DRM) but maybe that will be stopped soon.

1. The BigYin
      FAIL

Troll much?

So because everyone else decided to cut their own legs off and stab themselves in the eyes before the big race, it is not a "Good Thing"(tm) that the BBC has done the same?

FFS.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Unlucky freetards

Am I the only one that doesn't care? I can already watch a program on TV, record it on a PVR or watch it via iplayer on a PS3.. Unlucky if it affects peeps abroad who never paid a penny towards the license fee anyway or those that want it in some weird arse format to play on a spectrum 64 can just read books....

1. The BigYin
      FAIL

This has nothing to do with...

...watching overseas (that's done by checking your IP).

This has everything to do with breaching standards and applying DRM where it doesn't need to be.

Luckily we are outside the DMCA in the UK, so hopefully a patch will be forthcoming.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
        Unhappy

ECD

But we *are* subject to the European Copyright Directive (ECD), which is broadly equivelent to the DMCA and also prohibits DRM cracking.

2. Number6

Overseas

When I'm overseas I just stream via a UK-based proxy server and that works fairly well. Obviously it's a private one (in my home) and as I pay (OK, my wife does) a licence fee I don't see why not. I assume that if it was an open proxy then the BBC would quickly block it.

2. Michael 28
      Alert

You mean " Lucky" freetards...

No support for iPlayer means that i DON'T need to pay a licence fee. Poor windows users have to pay, because they CAN access iplayer. (wether or not they do)

I'm looking for the app that allows content streaming over something like VLC from a fixed server , or maybe i'll just use ol' fashioned Bittorrent . XVID's only... i hate bluray.

Either way, no loss.

BTW... what OS do the PVR's mainly use ?

1. Eponymous Cowherd
        Thumb Down

Incorrect

You do not need a TV licence for iPlayer (apart from live streaming) and you certainly don't need one just because you have a device that can receive streaming content (though you do need one if you have a TV card).

The argument is that because iPlayer is funded by the licence fee then licence holders should have free access to it without recourse to propitiatory software. In other words the BBC should use open standards because to do otherwise may deny some licence payers access to services they have paid for.

It has nothing to do with the legality of accessing iPlayer.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well...

As Google are pushing towards HTML5 anyway, that means You Tube will go that way, so Adobe Flash will have a tougher time of it .. Aunty Beeb will eventually have to ditch Flash, sooner rather than later.

The other problem is that the Beeb pays licences for some content, just like other broadcasters do, and there are occasions where this content (films, and bought in shows) that prevents them putting that particular content on the iPlayer.

I just wish that Adobe would get off its fat arse and sort out a proper 64 bit flash for Linux that doesn't need a process kill every 24 hours.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Still works with...

...like I'd post it on here!!! LOL

28. The BigYin
    FAIL

BBCtards

What a bunch of morons. I love using my old xBox to watch iPlayer (I live in the UK, I pay my license fee) and now I can't because some ass-hat is sucking the Adobe phallus.

We need DRM like we need a freaking hole-in the head. With the coming of HTML5, hopefully the world will wake-up to what utter crap Flash is and we can move on. but probably not.

29. Eponymous Cowherd
    Alert

BeebPlayer not affected:

Works for me and the developer says it isn't affected (for the moment):-

http://www.google.com/profiles/johnsto

1. Ben 47

Strange goings on

All I get when I try to access anything through the BeebPlayer is 'Not yet available'

30. Mike Gravgaard
    Stop

A title

I would have thought the BBC would play this safe but they are possibly forced into this by their content providers (i.e. some companies which make content for the BBC).

The problem is this hurts the BBC both ways; they either annoy the viewers or their content providers - if they annoy their content providers may stop providing content to the BBC (Spooks, etc) and if they annoy their viewers then they will annoy there monetary stream and anyone which uses the service.

If I were them I would just tell their providers to put up or shut up as once the viewers are gone they are gone so is any of your power and money; in fact by that stage they are effectively a dieing corpse.

I wouldn't mind ditching the TV as I don't really care for it anyone (other that Channel 4 news which I can watch online) and Question Time on Thursday and it would save me like £170ish a year. TV isn't really required any more anyway as I can watch older versions of programming for both Channel 4 news and Question Time.

I think the BBC's future lies with IPTV and they are cutting their kind of shooting themselves in the foot on this one - if they haven't realised IPTV is the future then they are living in the past.

Mike

1. ThomH

I think Canvas/whatever is their IPTV solution

They'll stick to Flash in the browser (and MP4 for the iPhone if they absolutely have to), but give most people IPTV through custom boxes. They'll probably even stick to the faintly ridiculous idea of broadcast listings for deciding when content is available for, ummm, another 30 years.

2. Rob
      Unhappy

Short & Curlys

"...they annoy their viewers then they will annoy there monetary stream and anyone which uses the service."

I wish it could be like that, but the reality of the situation is that it would not have any effect on their monetary stream, if you don't like the BBC you still have to pay for a license to watch the other channels and any on-demand services.

1. Mike Gravgaard

RE: Short & Curlys

"I wish it could be like that, but the reality of the situation is that it would not have any effect on their monetary stream, if you don't like the BBC you still have to pay for a license to watch the other channels and any on-demand services."

Well if enough people dropped the BBC it would affect their funding or atleast put a small dent in it- I would happily give my TV to their detection team in bits of course.. I'm sure in the future TV will just be replaced with internet TV and possibly not the BBC especially if they continue to act like this.

The thing is the government would possibly just start charging anyone for internet access but they seem to be doing this already with the 50p tax - I think they will increase this tax for BBC online services possibly or that will be their said reasoning.

I don't care for interactive TV; I watch TV for information but the quality of it in the last couple of years has been terrorable - remind me of a decent series, sitcom, drama, etc which you cannot watch elsewhere!? There are every few services which I use; Channel 4 news and Question Time are about it.

I think the BBC days will be numbered when IPTV really kicks off.

Out of curiousity if I setup a satellite dish to a monitor; do I still need to pay for a TV license?

I know you need a license for online services like live BBC news though.

Mike

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects 1

Terrorable icon wanted

Liked it.

Ever since the Blair Which project took over the BBC we have not learned of the weapons of mass destruction now killing the inhabitants of Iraq. And there is a lot more where that isn't coming from.

2. Semihere

TV Licence

Yes Mike you need a licence for ANY TV reception equipment. So if you only had an old video with no TV you'd still need a licence, because the video has a tuner built-in... and that's probably STILL the case despite the fact that analogue's been switched off!

1. Dave Henderson 1

Not necessarily

Afair, the wording is 'capable of receiving and displaying' , so no, an old analogue VCR wouldn't count.

3. Semihere
      Black Helicopters

BBC Content

You misunderstand the relationship between some of the content providers and the BBC. I'm sure the BBC are sometimes 'sold' a portion of their content (pre-made series, particularly from the US), but more often if they don't make it themselves (news, current affairs) they commission the work - ie, they pay someone to make it for them. If that production company refuses to make the programme because of rights issues, then another production company will make it, unless the programme idea/concept was devised by the production company themselves.

Even if the production company owns the rights to the idea and have 'sold' it to the BBC in exchange for funding to make the programme they'd be pretty stupid to refuse the BBC rights to broadcast without DRM as they'd risk missing out on their biggest possible distribution channel and viewing figures.

Most production companies are actually very small - maybe a handful of people, even just one or two. The rest of the crew needed for production (including pre and post) are freelancers brought in by the line producer on the behest of the exec prodcuer. They work for a pre-arranged contracted fee and then the crew disbands afterwards to go on to work for other production companies. So the production companies just don't really have THAT much leverage over the broadcasters.

The most likely scenario is that the BBC are implementing DRM to sell their services to international media corporations and movie studios, NOT the grassroots/homegrown industry talent. It also segways nicely with the contemporary major corporate mindset over topics like DMCA, ACTA, Mandybill etc.

31. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

BBC iPlayer Mobile not working

Since yesterday I have been trying to watch a program on the iPlayer and its not available. I wrote to the BBC and their response was:

We're currently suffering from some severe technical problems which mean that programmes are not being delivered to BBC iPlayer for mobile. We're very sorry for any inconvenience that this causes and would like to assure you that we're doing our best to fix the problem as soon as possible.

32. Steve Anderson
    Boffin

DRM in Adobe Flash

From what I recall, there's three pieces of information used to secure an RTMP; two strings that say something along the lines of "Genuine Adobe Flash" and a big long string of bytes. The problem that rtmpdump had last year was that these three pieces of information were baked into it, and with that Adobe could toot their DMCA DRM-bypass horn to cause grief.

Now, if those three strings were provided as command line options, without their values being documented anywhere in the code, the DMCA nonsense is unlikely to stand up. Adobe would have to DMCA Google, Yahoo, Twitter and so on over and over again. We all know how well that worked with DVD's CSS...

33. Whitter

BBC corporate neutrality

Aren't the Beeb enforced to remain neutral as regards to promoting private companies? Thus the "sticky backed plastic" of Blue Peter fame. Surely using a Flash-only mechanism would breach that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Wake up

Just watch breakfast news (or a whole host of other programmes like The One Show, The Weekend Show, etc. etc.) and just watch the shameless advertising and promotion of products, films, bands, authors, etc. etc., all masked with an extremely thin excuse of either "interview" or "review".

The BBC used to require public money to fund a service that was not for profit, but look at how much they sell now to consumers and other broadcasters!

I wish I could run my company (badly) with nothing but public funding and no accountability for the crap I produced.

34. Pinky

And theDMCA gets a mention because..?

Considering that the iPlayer is only supposed to work in the UK, there is no reason to worry about the DMCA being invoked (at least by the BBC). I have been in discussions like this before (on RDCP license requirements when looking at HDMI connections), and every time the fact that something MAY lead to a POSSIBLE legal question in the US prevents UK businesses doing things (entirely within the UK).

Can anyone tell me which door takes me out of the 51st State?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. blackworx

Because

It's got nothing to do with the BBC. The DMCA is mentioned in reference to the fact that if XBMC (available in the USA) were to spoof "SWF Verification" then it could be seen to be frustrating a copyright protection system built into SWF, owned by Adobe who are, um, American. And since frustrating copyright protection systems is against the DMCA, um, in America...

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Threre are legal compromises.

1. create a cutter tool that obtains the required functionality from the flash player/plugin (just like firmware is extracted for some wireless windows drivers under Linux).

2. Create a proxy app, utilises flash for some functionality and redirects the video output to a different render app/code.

3. Use a cutter tool to modify flash plugin/player to redirect output to an external application.

Sadly I can't see a generally legal (from my limited knowledge in this area of law), that would avoid having to obtain adobe flash.

All options use the protection and do not attempt to bypass and redistributing will be legal as long as the flash plugin/player is downloaded separately and not distributed with the modification tools.

Of course there is the POTENTIALLY ILLEGAL option of trying to bypass the protection...

36. Dan 10
    Unhappy

Legality?

I'm not the person to ask about this kind of stuff, but maybe you lot can shed some light on it.

A publicly-funded organisation, which we have little choice but to pay for (ok, strictly speaking this is wrong,but you see where I'm coming from) mandates that all users need to use specific technology provided by a third party, to the anti-competitive detriment of competing third parties.

Furthermore, when those third parties adapt their product(s) to ensure continued operation, they are then sued by the favoured third party, preventing access to a state-run asset by any means other than their own.

This seems out of order to me. Thoughts?

37. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Irony of Freedom

What amazes me, is that the people that pay and own the BBC, the general public of the UK, now suddenly are not allowed to watch their very own TV shows in their own country.

The shows on the BBC are made, by and for, the UK public and thus are a vital part of the implementation of the freedom of speech.

I don't believe that the UK public wants this limitation to the freedom of speech. What's worst, you UK guys, actually pay a lot of taxpayer money to an American company to get censored! And here's what's really funny about this: you are doing nothing to stop it, even though you own the joint hahaha! It's like, you want to be censored!?!

I live in the Netherlands. And the BBC also broadcasts here. Big fan of Spooks :) and luckily this series can be seen in many countries where the BBC airs. I would really like to thank the UK public for airing in my country! What's annoying is that, I cannot use the IPlayer to watch stuff that also gets aired here. Although I have the rights, given so generously by you guys.

Thinks really need to change how we will pay our creative people for their excellent work in a just manner. I hope we can quickly come to a solution. Limiting the freedom of speech by locking down media like the ACTA proposes and is being displayed here by the BBC is not the way forward IMHO.

1. OffBeatMammal

follow the money

In the UK the BBC is a public trust and while it's supposed to be open to the majority I imagine using things like Flash are fine in the same way they only support Freeview ... it's available to everyone (if they choose to run Crusty Chicken on an old i386 then they choose not to be able to access the content online)

Outside the UK though you're dealing with the murky waters of BBC International (or whatever it's called) who are a for-profict company who do territory based deals - in line with most international distributors (just look at region codes on DVDs, movie release dates and, topically, geoblocked Olympics content) ... those rights cover both broadcast and internet distribution.

The sooner we get to a model where the networks don't weild the power they have today and distributors have a realistic way to engage directly with consumers (a sensible billing model is required here) we can tear down the boundaries and move away from 3 minutes of content followed by four minutes of adverts

2. DoorHandle

Do something about it

https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/departments/bbc/bbc-on-demand-offerings/consultation/consult_view

38. blackworx
    Megaphone

Yeah!

Never mind Flash refuseniks! How about all these people who don't even want a computer?! Surely they too should be compensated for not being able to watch BBC programmes online? Some sort of electronic viewing device that receives and decodes a broadcast signal perhaps?

Seriously though, the Beeb are damned if they do and damned if they don't. For the BBC and its customers there's zero benefit to this SWF verification thing, ergo this is either Adobe twisting auntie's arm or auntie being petty and/or incompetent (again).

Hate to find myself in agreement with anything Steve Jobs says but really - the sooner Flash becomes irrelevant the better.

39. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Mr.

"Ironically, third party utilities that download files (which presumably the verification is there to prevent) still work fine. It is possible that this move will actually increase the occurrence of downloading files which will not be time limited, or torrenting of copyrighted material."

WHEN WILL CONTENT PROVIDERS FINALLY GET THIS???

Also, it's impossible to have a secure encrypted service when by it's very nature, it's decrypted on your computer (therefore your computer has to have the decryption keys)

More detailed info here: http://lkcl.net/rtmp/

40. LAGMonkey
    Thumb Down

resource hungry flash

Having been the one to originally throw up the debug log on the xbmc forum (same username), its appaling that the BBC rely so heavily on adobe flash to impliment their iPlayer platform.

Adobe have always shown no interest in improving their platform resulting in bloated software which can tax even the most powerful of systems.

I have to remind my partner that her system is running at full tilt due to her playing a flash game or because there is a flash advert running on the web page she is looking at.

My ION box (which i use for XBMC and therefore the iPlayer plugin) was THE best thing since sliced bread. Easy to use, and perfect quality with hardware accelerated BBC. Now im stuck having to load up a web page and suffer artifacting and slow quality.

hopefully Aunti will actually sort this out, or ill have to go and get my content via less official means.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Lots of improvements

For example, they've added extra RTMPE encryption types and algorithms for added DRM support lately. And you say that they don't improve their platform - bah!

2. cosmogoblin
      Flame

An analogy:

1. The BBC, in partnership with Panafonic, develop television programming methods which work perfectly on Panafonic TVs.

2. Sonny and Sumsang develop TVs which also work perfectly with the BBC's methods.

3. Panafonic send a remote update to all their TVs, and urges the BBC to encode their transmissions so that only TVs with the remote update can translate their programs. The BBC, incredibly, capitulates, and anybody using a Sonny or Sumsang TV can no longer watch BBC.

Wait a minute. That's barely an analogy, that's fact, minus a couple of search/replaces.

I've also developed a cheap, silent Linux ION box with XBMC, and it plays literally every medium I've ever come across without problem. Except iPlayer (Flash's CPU-heavy non-Linux-friendly version skips like an 8-year-old girl riding a kangaroo). I've had several people ask me to make them a box, and I've been eagerly awaiting the Flash update (proper video card usage) or, better, the BBC update (OSS support) which would make this feasible. Instead we get this.

I kind of wish I'd know about the iPlayer plugin before this thread. Then again, I'm glad I didn't get used to it before it was pulled out from under us.

Addendum: My box also fails spectacular with YouTube, of course. But then that's one of its selling points.

41. Steven Raith
    Go

So how long...

...before someone implements get_iplayer in a Ruby/Python app which has a nice GUI and EPG, and simply grabs the FLVs, rips to MP4 and plays back in MPlayer with a single click?

I'd use that happily - get_iplayer is good, but anything that involves less terminal sessions is a good thing as far as I'm concerned...

Steven R

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Web PVR Manager...

is a web based GUI of sorts I thought. It still requires that get_iplayer script but it is at least a point and click to play in VLC affair. I think there are a few other front ends mentioned on the get_iplayer site also.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Short & Curlys

There is already an application which can be used to pull out all the DRM.

A friend of mine does it to get around the time constraints.

3. Michael B.

Use the get_iplayer Web Gui

use the Web based GUI and there is no need for terminal sessions and despite this change get_iplayer seems to work fine. I have noticed a few more RTMP_ReadPacket errors recently but this does not seem to have affected the downloaded programs, at least noticeably.

42. Allan 1
    WTF?

Meh

Ubuntu 9.10 + firefox + bbc iPlayer flash website + old laptop (1.3ghz 2GB ram) = No go.

Ubuntu 9.10 + get_iplayer + vlc + old laptop (1.3ghz 2GB ram) = works perfect.

Why are the BBC trying to either force me to upgrade to a dual core system + windows just to view shows over their iPlayer?

Still, get_iplayer still works OK at the moment, but for how long before they close the door on it?

43. Mage Silver badge

Satellite PVR

Available most of Europe,

Record better quality than IPlayer rubbish

No PC needed

Watch on TV any time you want.

even if iPlayer worked here, it would eat all my Cap in a few days.

Until we all have FTTH with little contention and no Cap, these streaming apps like YouTube and iPlayer are just wasting the Internet.

A Freesat or Freeview box with 500G to 2T byte drive and record everything on a rotation, deleting wanted content and ingoring flagged unwanted programms.

44. davenewman

Technology breaking licences

Quite a number of organisations have licences to record an replay TV programmes to audiences. Any UK university can get one from the Copyright Licensing Agency for a few hundred pounds a year. We can play recordings to students for ever, not just for seven days.

But the DRM restrictions pay no attention to the terms of any licence you have. They reduce the rights we have paid for.

45. Alex King
    Stop

Pardon?

Sorry, but I seem to be missing something here, but if you're a legitimate UK user, what's the proem with using iPlayer and free adobe software? I'm confident that this will piss off maybe 0.1% of legitimate users who have willfully decided to go down an unsupported path - if you fly without a parachute then don't go whinging when your plane stops working.

You wouldn't expect to be allowed to rollerskate down the M1 just 'cos you'd paid your road tax, would you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

feeding the troll

I think plenty of people have covered the reasons why they'd prefer not to use a proprietary, closed source, piece of carp to access the content that they've paid for. Maybe read up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Hmm

What's the problem with eating dog shit? It's free too.

I think you get the point.

(As for Adobe, it's CPU intensive, bloated, unstable, a security risk, not a standard and runs poory on 64-bit systems). Did I mention dog shit yet?

1. Alex King
        Grenade

So what

99.7 percent of people DO NOT CARE about bloat, instability etc. etc. - they just want to be able to watch Top Gear on demand, which iPlayer does just fine, thanks. If you don't want to use Adobe stuff, fine, go without and buy a PVR instead.

There's a reason why this is a Reg exclusive - because for readers of any mainstream publication, life's too short to worry about this shit. Adobe won this one, rightly or wrongly. Get over it.

46. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

RE: Technology breaking licences

"Quite a number of organisations have licences to record an replay TV programmes to audiences. Any UK university can get one from the Copyright Licensing Agency for a few hundred pounds a year. We can play recordings to students for ever, not just for seven days."

But the ERA licence doesn't apply to on-demand services. At all, only programmes obtained from a broadcast source, which iPlayer isn't (the legal definition of broadcast excludes any and all on-demand video services).

So that isn't an issue here.

You probably should try reading that licence of yours.

47. Devious_Dan
    Thumb Up

bbc

Heres a link for all those xbmc users who want iplayer back on their machine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F7331806?thread=7320127

Hopefully the beeb will see sense, otherwise its back to torrents to find their programs we have already paid for!

48. Neil 6

*angry*

I use XBMC on an Acer Revo because the Atom CPU can't handle 1080p flash in the iPlayer on Windows.

Booting XBMC has allowed me to use the Iplayer HD content perfectly, now that cord has been cut.

Absolute bastards. It's like the BBC telling us we can only watch their channels on a Sony branded TV.

49. hexx

ps3 borked too?

not sure if it's because of this 'update' but yesterday i tried to watch some episodes of Top Gear on iplayer on ps3 and results gave me 6 episodes but when i chose one it redirected me to bbc page and then when i restarted iplayer it gave me only 2 episodes. hmm....

50. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

get_iplayer web gui suggestions

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at that :-)

El Reg Comments - they deliver.

Steven R

PS: I noticed that get_iplayer is having a LOT more reconnects to get content [10+, whereas previously it would get the whole thing on one shot] but it still plays back fine without any problems.

51. Richard Porter
    FAIL

Platform agnostic?

When the BBC consulted on iPlayer it promised that the service would be "platform agnostic". Of course it has been nothing of the sort from the outset.

52. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

platform neutral?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/online/online_servicelicences/bbc_co_uk_servicelicence_30apr2007.txt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/pvt/on_demand_neutrality.shtml

"BBC Executive fulfils iPlayer platform neutrality criteria - August 2009

In June 2009, in its fourth progress report to the Strategic Approvals Committee the BBC Executive reported the final implementation of a solution to provide BBC iPlayer downloads for the Mac and Linux platforms. The solution, which went live on 20 April 2009 means iPlayer is available on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac and Linux, thereby fulfilling the Trust’s requirement that the BBC provide a cross-platform download solution."]

Is only the OS a platform? I'm confused..

1. cosmogoblin

Sit back and relax

"Is only the OS a platform? I'm confused.."

Not to mention that the wording, especially the phrase "final implementation", implies "We've done everything we need to, now we can sit back and relax and not take any notice of emerging technologies or issues."

A bit like Microsoft in 2001 - "We've finished IE, let's let it fester for years and frustrate customers."

Do the iPlayer team not understand that technology is a moving arena? Is providing services nothing more than a tick-box session in a project management meeting?

53. DoorHandle
    Go

Tell them where to put it

Heres a link to their consultation

https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/departments/bbc/bbc-on-demand-offerings/consultation/consult_view

I've already expressed my love* for all things Flash and proprietry.

* Love may not be used in the conventional sense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like