back to article AMD's 'Magny-Cours' Opterons surface on eBay

If you can't wait until the end of March or so to get your hands on the dozen-core "ys" Opteron 6100 processors due from Advanced Micro Devices, then some cagey system builders have a deal for you out on eBay. Oakville Mehlville Services, a service provider based in St Louis, Missouri, has put four of the Socket G34 processors …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

So the 15 Minute...

...Blue-Ray .iso that is now 2 hours and 20 minutes into a 30 hour render* would be finished in 15 minutes or so. That would make life better, but i am not sure it would make life $15,000 better.

beer because it makes life $1 better. **

beer doesn't really make the computer faster, it just makes you slower.

* Pentium 5 @ 2.8Ghz 100% Cpu Use

** 24 Ounce can of 211

1. captain kangaroo
      WTF?

1 Pint Beer = Life being £1 better....

That's bad economics my friend. any excertion toward a better life needs positive outcomes.

£2.90 = 1 Beer...

1 Beer is therefore life - £2.90 + enjoyment....

uuurghghhh i can't be arsed....

2. blackworx
    Coffee/keyboard

"Mangy-Cours"

Slip of the finger was it?

1. James Goddard

re: "Mangy-Cours"

AMD name CPU's (have done for a while) after F1 locations, Mangy-Cours is in France I think, but it's genious naming for the 12 core product....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably not a typo...

...more likely a spell-checker run amok.

They tend to want to replace "Magny Cours" with "Mangy Cours" at any opportunity - something which reasonably summed up my attitude toward the eponymous F1 track. Or at least it did, until Herman Tilke's bore-o-dromes took over enough of the calendar to make a flat splash of French tarmac look like the Nordschleife. Hell, these days even Paul Ricard is looking soulful.

1. blackworx
        Happy

Re: Mangy-Cours

@ David - your reply falls into the "you learn something new every day" category. Thanks to you (and the internet) I now know who is responsible for so many of those circuits I always thought were a bit shit - cheers!

@ James - erm, I think you missed my point.

3. Bo Pedersen
    Happy

Very cool

I would have one just for bragging rights in my gaming rig.

would be nice ot have a 4Ghz cpu though :)

4. Annihilator

Flashy flashy

If you want to sell something at that price, you really need to do something about the flash-glare bouncing off them there chips! Could be anything he's flogging.

@Disco Legend Zeke - what on earth is a Pentium 5??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Annihilator

An eBay seller posting clear focused pictures of the product he is genuinely selling AND without glare? You can't be serious.

You're lucky enough he didn't just pull an unrelated image off Google like 90% of eBay sellers do.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

We need the glare.

Were it not for that, the reflective sufaces would clearly show that the photographer is actually a fat, sweaty bloke who's stark bollock naked. (c.f. El Reg reflectopr0n (tm) articles passim).

I'll go with the glare thanks, it's an improvement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like