back to article Two Chinese schools implicated in Google Aurora attacks

Two Chinese schools with links to the armed forces have become implicated as suspects in the ongoing Operations Aurora attacks against Google and at least 33 other western conglomerates last December. Security experts, including investigators from the National Security Agency, now reckon the attacks date from April last year, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

My $0.02...

For what it's worth, anyone who's seen "Freedom Downtime" (the indie documentary that sought to deFUD the Mitnick case) can attest to the fact that John Markoff will write anything that gets him on the front page, fact-checking and verified research be damned.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

"The best minds in computer security have been applying themselves to unpicking the Operation Aurora attacks"

So far I've only seen people who want to spin it for their own agendas and reporters talking about/investigating it.

I bet google are chuckling away to themselves, "watch those idiots ramble, oh well lets feed them some more shit to smear over themselves." It suits everyone at the moment that this goes on and on, nothing like a Red Menace story to get the proles up in arms. The red menace is up there with, global warming, child abuse, terrorism and, cuddly animals, for getting the proles up in arms. At least one will make them support the government in making their own or someone elses lives more miserable.

The number of places I've seen the old "rar this is what we get for letting the Chinese drag themselves into the modern world, ramble ramble, steal jobs, ramble ramble, evil ideas, ramble ramble, they eat dogs!"

Just the fact they can feed their whole population now days is pretty impressive becouse they sure as hell couldn't 30 years ago.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For some reason that concluding statement reminds me of one of the lines

from the recent Flash Gordon movie: "Officials say this morning's unprecedented solar eclipse is no cause for alarm."

1. James O'Shea

'recent'?

<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080745/> says that that particular movie dates from 1980. If you think that that's recent, I think that you're on the wrong pills and perhaps you should execute your trainer. (Yes, I'll a fan of Sam Jones' finest ever work)

Of course, you _could_ mean that vile mass of excrement that was the 2007 tv series. (Sam Jones' worst ever work) In which case I _know_ that you're on the wrong pills.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

ip addresses.

Any decent hackers would use a web of hacked shell accounts to mask the origin, also cleaning logs on the way out, making it impossible to track.

Universities are idea for this, good bandwidth, low security and easy passwords.

5. Daniel Brandt

Markoff's unnamed sources are unreliable

I suspect that Mr. Markoff's unnamed sources are pulling his leg again, or perhaps he is over-dramatizing some hearsay. The only time I've spoken with Markoff was to insist on a correction to an article that appeared in the New York Times on June 22, 2004. Here's the correction that was appended to the article:

"An article in Business Day on Tuesday about a revised prospectus for the initial public stock offering of Google misidentified the source of a 'Google bomb,' a form of online manipulation that causes a designated Web page to appear as the first response to a particular phrase search. (In this case, the tactic caused the search engine to reply to the phrase 'out of touch management' by displaying a Web page that described Google's top management.) While a person close to the company said Google employees had engaged in the practice, Daniel Brandt, the operator of a Web site critical of Google, later acknowledged that he was the source."

My effort was a modest little bomb that caused the phrase "out-of-touch executives" or "out-of-touch management" to show Google's corporate-executives page at number one. It took only a few links on a few domains to do this.

By the way, Google did a "hand job" and killed my bomb the following month. Now here was some real news, because Google constantly claimed at that time that they never mess with decisions made by their brilliant computers. Guru Danny Sullivan himself swore up and down that Google would never do such a thing, and he and I argued at length over this. The bomb still works in Yahoo and Bing, by the way, even though I took down my links immediately after Google's hand job.

This important news about the hand job didn't get reported by NYT. My next Google bomb will be "out-of-touch reporters." Will that one get blamed on his NYT colleagues, or will Markoff's editors catch him this time?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not really

"Evidence collected around the malware operation suggests that Operation Aurora is simply an example of highly effective malware penetration," it concludes."

Yup, that's why they targetted specific individuals. "Malware" is getting very personal these days? Nope, I don't think so.

Yup, "Reallly," this is just a google conspiracy. Sure. Whatever you say. And wingnuts don't exist.

7. n3td3v
    Stop

Time for an independent investigation

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

I'm calling for an independent investigation to get to the truth, not one that is relying on information from a spy agency who houses some of America's top hackers who's job it is to support US foreign policy and could be involved in the attack.

http://n3td3v.blogspot.com/2010/02/comment-on-two-chinese-schools-said-to.html

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Unnamed sources

Hmmm... there was an interesting thing on Newswipe about how unnamed sources can sometimes be journalists' way of saying "I made this up".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like