back to article 'Optionally manned' spy plane to fly this summer

A make of spy plane known to be in use by the British forces is now confirmed to have an "optionally manned" version, allowing it to be crewed - for legal reasons, or to save bandwidth - or to fly itself, as desired. The DA42 Twin Star. Credit: Diamond Aircraft Ideal for the misanthropic parachuting enthusiast. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I always wondered...

... why you see DA42s so often in the UK...

Best fetch the tin foil hat.

2. The Indomitable Gall

British Weather vs Big Brother

Pah... Johnny Our-Government won't spy on us that easily -- we have our bally clouds to bally well protect us! Tally ho!!!

3. Steven Knox
    Coffee/keyboard

Caption

'Nuff said.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

above hostile local resident

"above hostile local residents" - is that a polite way to say Merseyside?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8517726.stm

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OR.....

Perhaps they just want to control their aircraft from less than 7,000 miles away?

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Black Helicopters

hmmm...

"... and will be delivered from 2011. Its first customer will be NASA, who plan to use it for surveying the Greenland ice pack."

Here's where the "optional" pilot becomes a liability. Can't have any pesky "human" pilots with their "observable facts" and "photographic proof" getting in the way of nutburger, er, I mean climate scientist data.

My tinfoil hat is out being cleaned and blocked. Might I borrow one of yours?

7. Andus McCoatover

Do they still work at 27 MHz?

Or, has Citizens Band nadgered that? Or, maybe I'm way behind the times. (Bet the plane doesn't use "Galloping Ghost" technology You'll have to search for that...)

OK, I've done it for you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBSRmlIGSWQ

To think, I used to fly (a model) using that...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

The Revolution

will be only partially automated

9. Adrian Esdaile
    Coat

Any aircraft can be "optionally piloted"

You just open the doors in-flight.

Or install an Airbus-manufactured FCU!

Coat, please.

10. elderlybloke
    Welcome

Wot's it for?

What are they going to monitor?

Maybe everything , all the time like Big Brother of 1984 fame.

What with Google Steet view and sky view , we don't have much chance of privacy.

In my small town in New Zealand , we have just had a local driver in the Google street view car driving around. Usually we are about 30 years behind the rest of the world .

At least the rest of the world will know what we look like.

11. Holtsmark Silver badge
    Pint

Diesels

The reason why the DA42 is so popular in the UAV scene is that it is powered by two diesel engines with very high fuel economy. There are reports of DA42 UAVs with 40h endurance. This is impressive for a system using a conventional (infernal combustion) propulsion system, allowing for persistence at the target.

The beer? Well if it is a "Sink the Bismarc", then it can probably be used to fuel the DA42...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like