back to article HDD suppliers bound for choppy waters

Graphed IDC numbers from Stifel analysts Aaron Rakers tell us that Western Digital is poised to overtake Seagate as the hard disk drive (HDD) shipment share leader, reversing a decade or more of Seagate dominance. HDD vendor shipment shares Q4cy09 Seagate's share in the last quarter of 2009 was 31.1 per cent while WD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kurgan
    Unhappy

Please don't kill Hitachi GST

Hitachi are the only (consumer and small server grade) disks that actually work and are reliable. But since they cost marginally more than the cheap competitors, they will soon die. I should start a campaign: "Save Hitachi Disks NOW!"

2. StooMonster
    Grenade

Pet loves, pet hates

I love WD for their Raptor drives, never had a problem with a WD drive; Seagate, I had dozens go wrong in RAID arrays in servers, bloody things were a PITA, also lost a few in non-servers too. Vowed to avoid them like the plague.

Friends curse WD and love Seagate for similar reasons.

There must be some sort of cosmic karma for hard drives.

But in the long-term hard-drives are going away so we can only expect consolidation, and then further consolidation, in a dying market.

3. brym

Hardly surprising

Almost every time we need to test Seagate HDD's, they've mechanically failed. Almost as predictable as Dell or Toshiba laptops going tits up because of motherboard failures. We replaced Seagate with WD HDD's years ago.

4. Jay 2
    Grenade

Not surprised

After Seagate's recent form with firmware ("...yeah we've shipped loads of drives with firmware that will brick the drive...") and rather slow response in getting a coherent message/fix to punters I decided that from now on it's WD for me.

5. Ben Rosenthal

not surprised there

Seagate are priced as a premium product, but are as robust as a fart in a force 10

WD all the way these days.

6. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

How the mighty have fallen

Seagate's cost cutting included reverting their 5 year warranties to 3, closing their Singapore plant, instead now having all the drives manufactured in China.

Other nice notifications of failure include the end of Seashells (now they only ship in standard anti-static bags).

They've stopped trying to be the best, and sales undoubtedly show this.

It's a shame, because I always swore by Seagate drives, and purchased only Seagate drives for my home machine/servers.

7. Taemar

Drives, drives, drives...

I used to swear by Seagate drives. Was never really impressed with WD but they seemed to improve just as Seagate started to deteriorate. However, I was recently told by a friend in data recovery that current WD drives are a real pain to recover and have a mediocre recovery rate compared with Hitachi, Samsung, etc. And let's not even get into Maxtor drives...

Personally, I now only use Hitachi or Samsung drives with a preference for Hitachi. Or Samsung's now discontinued HD501LJ - excellent drive.

8. Eddie Johnson
    Grenade

Blame it on the .11 drives

I have 2 of the crap firmware .11 drives in a RAID array. They haven't bitten me yet but I'll be damned if I ever buy another Seagate drive. Well, at least for another 5 years until we've gone full circle. The fact that Seagate's response to the .11 fiasco was a flood of .10 drives on the market wasn't exactly a confidence builder.

<= What your Seagate drive is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like