back to article Humax ships Freeview HD box

Set-top box maker Humax has begin shipping its HD-Fox T2 Freeview HD receiver to shops. Priced at £179, the box incorporates the DVB-T2 tuner necessary to pick up Freeview HD broadcasts and the MPEG 4 decoder needed to convert data stream into pictures. Humax HD-Fox T2 Humax HD-Fox T2: in the shops now Programming is fed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hedley Phillips

Humax make good equipment

I have a 9200 (Standard Def, twin tuner) I bought a few years ago after spending a not considerable amount of time reading reviews and I have been delighted with it.

Customer support is great, the box works and works very well, and we are very happy with it. We even managed to get a new remote sent out to us last week as my kids have dropped the original one so many times it becomes a bit hit or miss whether it worked or not. I was half expecting them to say I had to buy a whole new box but no, they shipped out a new remote straight away. Top marks.

My only criticism of the whole system is that the remote has a silly plastic sliding cover which hides the recorded programs list button and the back and forward buttons. These must be the most used items on the remote and I can't understand why they have a cover over them. Thankfully it does come off but then spoils the look of it a bit.

We are still resisting the move up to HD. To us it seems to be quite a considerable amount of money to pay for a TV and new tuner box. And if you don't have an HD tuner then watching SD on a big LCD TV is awful, the picture quality is rubbish, blurred and washed out (I have spent a lot of time at friends houses who have new LCD's and the picture on our CRT is much clearer). So, until our almost brand new 28 inch Sony CRT dies that we bought on Ebay for £25!! or our Hummy dies, we will be sticking with SD for the conceivable future.

Bit of a ramble but I just wanted to post and say how much we like our Hummy.

2. Nathan 13

No HDD?

A tad expensive for a freeview box on its own, even if it is HD. Needs to be a PVR with a 500gb or more HD before im interested.

3. nigelp74
    FAIL

Is this price some sort of sick joke?

Someone is having a laugh with this whole Freeview HD debacle

4. Rowan
    Stop

phones?

What does "it'll send video, phones and music to the small screen" mean?

How do you send phones via a usb?

5. cs94njw
    WTF?

WTF!?

Like Nathan13 - Add a harddisk and we'll call the price fair. Just because a Blueray box costs megabucks, doesn't mean every other company has the right to screw the customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just for the record

@ cs94njw

"Just because a Blueray box costs megabucks".

You can buy brand new Blueray players for under £70. I don't consider that to be megabucks. I do however agree with you on the high expense of this HD receiver.

6. Tony Jarvie
    Go

Phones?

Reading through the specs on the website, I think this is supposed to say "photos".

"Play media contents in external HDD or memory through USB (MP3, JPG, XViD) "

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdfoxt2.aspx

7. My Opinion
    WTF?

Hedley Phillips - find some new friends!

"And if you don't have an HD tuner then watching SD on a big LCD TV is awful, the picture quality is rubbish, blurred and washed out (I have spent a lot of time at friends houses who have new LCD's and the picture on our CRT is much clearer)."

All I can say is that your friends must have made very poor choices of TV sets or not set them up right.

We have a 42" Pioneer - OK, I admit it's plasma, not LCD. But then many people either lump ALL flat-screens under just the "LCD" label or the "plasma" label. Many simply don't know they are the different types!

Anyway, 95% of our source material is through a Humax 9200 - the very piece of equipment you say you have - so all SD source.

The picture is stunning! Even my wife, who is as great a technophobe as you can find, has said that she finds natural world type programs on this combination truly amazing. Her words "this is when your new TV really comes into its own".

Our pictures are not blurred; they are not washed out - they are awesome!

I suggest you tell your friends to buy decent sets - or perhaps they just need to spend some time setting up the ones they have!

And yes, I agree the Humax 9200 is a superb piece of kit - I trust you have made sure it has been updated with the various software updates that have come along from time to time. The updates have made this the only piece of consumer equipment I have ever owned that gets BETTER over time with great new features being added as time goes by.

Get the right set, make sure it's set up right, and you can really enjoy SD material.

8. Alex Walsh
    Thumb Down

Lordy

On several counts: 1) the venting on the top of that box looks like a first gen OnDigital box, how hot does that thing get? 2) you can get a Bush Freesat HD box for 50 quid if you have a dish or want to put one up yourself. Thats £130 less than this, which is a massive premium to pay for using your existing ariel.

9. MJI Silver badge

No HDD No sale

I want a PVR - I NEED to scrap my useless Pace Twin, and need a post DSO compatible PVR, no point buying non HD.

Bring out the PVR and I will be interested.

This topic is closed for new posts.