back to article Yahoo! Nectar deal to link online ads to offline buys

Shoppers will have internet adverts displayed to them based on their offline shopping habits in a new scheme being developed by internet publisher Yahoo! and customer loyalty scheme Nectar. The two companies will link their databases in a bid to better target consumers with relevant adverts and to improve the tracking of ads' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason I don't have a nectar card

At least I'd have to get one for them to do this, so it's better than phorm.

2. Julian Lee-Webb
    Thumb Down

Stop

Looks Like a good reason to stop using my nectar card, and therefore a reason to stop making a special trip to the stores that offer Nectar points.

1. jackharrer

Why?

Article says quite clearly: it is opt-in. Also every store card you can imagine does the same. That's the reason you get those funny little discount vouchers printed with your receipt. And somehow they always have something you bough recently (or been buying regularly) and you probably would like it.

If you really want to be anonymous, use cash only and wear oversized dark sunglasses, as maybe they can find something on store cameras about you. It is just simply impossible not to leave trace anymore.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and why not

I need to sign up,

Get the free points, use firefox, no script and adblock and stuff the adverts where all online advertising should go

4. ShaggyDoggy

Cut

That's my Nectar card cut in half.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incentive?

A pittance of an incentive for a goldmine of consumer information. It's time consumers charged marketers a realistic fee for the privilege of advertising to us. How 'bout royalties? That way we would all be guaranteed an income.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well we know one thing...

There are at least 20,000 retards out there that think selling their online personal information for 0.001% off a choc bar at the soopermarket is good value!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Hold on a moment

Does this mean that if I know someone's nectar card details I can opt in to receive adverts showing me what kind of things they buy using it?

8. Jerome 0

Things to come

Making this opt-in only is a great way to allay everyone's fears, but this is just the thin end of the wedge. The scary part is how innocent the whole thing must seem if you don't think about it too deeply.

What possible harm could there be in being presented with adverts which are more relevant to your interests? Surely it might even make the adverts less annoying? It's only when you think through where this will inevitably lead in five or ten years time that you see the sinister side.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like