back to article Toshiba tunes into TransferJet

Toshiba will bring Sony's TransferJet technology to its product range in the latter half of the year. The company today demo'd the near-field communications technology today, using it to transfer photos taken on a specially modified TG01 Windows Mobile smartphone to a similarly prototypical Qosmio laptop. TransferJet was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DMH
    Jobs Horns

If so implemented this could work like the scene in Avatar, where the scientist touches his iPhone like tablet to the computer screen and swipes a 3D image off the screen on to the tablet. He then walks across the room and swipes the image on to a window.

I wonder though if we'll have to endure Bluetooth-like authentication and related clunkiness.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Boffin

@DMH

"where the scientist touches his iPhone like tablet to the computer screen and swipes a 3D image off the screen on to the tablet. He then walks across the room and swipes the image on to a window"

This would be EXTREMELY easy to implement if the whole "web-based OS" platform idea took off, where everyone's computers were simply localized data-chunking systems and your actually desktop is "out there." Then it's just a simple matter of dumping your desktop session to whatever device you desire. You can already do this with Citrix remote sessions or Virtualized Desktops, just not so seemlessly as in Avatar. With a 30mm range for the TransferJet, I don't see a huge need for complicated authentication. If they reduced the range some more and REQUIRED the device to be sitting on a landing pad of sorts, then it really should work just like a USB device IMHO.

2. Tom_

3cm?

You might as well just stick a USB plug onto the gadget.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ruggedised kit

I can see this been used on ruggedised kit - one less port to be filled with a bit of rubber/plastic that will break off and get lost

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

RF intimacy

If two touching computers may yield only 370Mb/s, what kind of act is needed to achieve the full 560Mb/s?

1. Andrew Dowd
      Big Brother

I'll never know

I live in Aus, so the Kruddy Kurtain will protect me from that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Wires

"You might as well just stick a USB plug onto the gadget."

And that would actually work all the time !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like