back to article Toshiba commits to Freeview HD

Toshiba is preparing a Freeview HD set-top DVR. TVs with Freeview HD tuners are coming too. The HDR-5010 digital video recorder will contain a 500GB hard drive and a pair of tuners so you can record one channel while viewing another. Toshiba HDR-5010 Toshiba's HDR-5010: ready to record terrestrially broadcast HD Not that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Harry

HDMI input needed too?

"For output, the HDR-5010 has one Scart and three HDMI connectors."

I'd hope one of the HDMI can be used as inputs (for daisy chaing) too. Otherwise, if your existing TV has just one HDMI input and is already in use with other equipment, you're stuck with using the presumably-inferior scart.

1. RichyS

Not a biggie.

My fairly ancient Sharp Aquos has only one digital input (DVI, though it is HDCP compliant). I get around the problem of multiple digital sources by using an HDMI switcher box. They can be had for under 25 quid these days... Works well enough.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I hadn't noticed (naturally)

I hadn't noticed that Freeview HD is transmitting now. http://www.techradar.com/news/television/freeview-signal-check-databases-get-an-hd-upgrade-669351 describes limited coverage - not everywhere where Freeview is - and how to tell whether yoo'll get it.

I have Blackhill TV, I think, and good, so this may work for me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going to wait a while I think

We're not scheduled to get Freeview HD for quite a while yet, so there's no reason to buy anything while the early-adopter gouging is going on.

I'm happy to wait for a bunch of sets which support Blu-Ray 3D (at least optionally) in combination with DVB-T2 tuners and the enhanced FreeviewHD interactive service. I think it'll all be fairly standard stuff for 37"+ LCDs from the big manufacturers in 2 years or so, unless 3D dies on it's arse.

Right now it looks as though Sony 3D-capable sets are not going to have a huge markup over their other new high frame-rate LCDs, which is as it should be I guess since they don't come with glasses.

4. Tim Cook

Get on with it

Get the thing in the shops with a stupid price, realise that Freeview viewers aren't about to spend stupid money on HD any more than they were ready to spend stupid money on anything else, and then just get on with providing decent HD kit at a reasonable price.

I've no patience for the greed of manufacturers whenever anybody says "new format" anymore. The primary reason why it's taken so long to get HD on Freeview is because deep down, nobody really cares about HD on Freeview, least of all most Freeview viewers. Most aren't about to throw out their old kit for a LONG time yet, and the rest certainly aren't going to line up for the early-adopter tax.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony gear was announced at CES

Why all the Toshiba stuff due in June. Sony announced product range at CES.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/bravia-lcd-televisions/3/5?cpint=HubTV05

http://sony.co.uk/content/detail.aspx?NewsAreaId=2&ReleaseID=5502

They are even appearing in Argos now although not yet in stock:

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5296118

Looks like products will mostly arrive next month.

6. Dick Emery
    Unhappy

Grr!

I just want a cheapy 24" LCD with built in Freeview HD for my bedroom! Why is this so hard?

7. jon 77

@Dick Emery

you cannot see HD on a 24" screen... PC monitors may do this, but that is not a TV!!

- so you either have a giant bedroom, or have £££££££ to spare!

If so, why is 37" not ok???

8. jon 77

@AC 10th February 2010 15:38 GMT

'Full HD' is NOT freeviewHD - and neither is that argos TV!!!

Unless it says **freeviewHD**, the only HD it will do is by a HDMI input socket....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like