back to article Politico sues politico

UK right-wing blog Tory-Politico.com has been hit with a cease and desist order from US site politico.com. The lawyer's letter claims the domain name is "confusingly similar to the POLITICO mark in that it wholly incorporates the "Politico" mark and merely adds the descriptive word 'tory' to the Domain Name." Even stranger, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I Like The Reasoning

"Even stranger, the ambulance chasers then use Alexa.com rankings to claim that as only 57.3 per cent of its traffic comes from the UK, much of its remaining visitors must be from the US."

Because it's well known that the only two countries on the interwebs are the US and the UK.

Actually it wouldn't suprise me at all if you told me that 40% of the traffic hitting the site was actually web crawlers. I've seen minority interest sites where more than half the requests came from web crawlers of one sort or another.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Alexa

I've seen Alexa's information about my site, and some of the pretenders too. The information tends to only agree on my site not being ranked in the top 10,000. You can probably add another few zeroes to that. :-)

What I'd like to know - how the hell does Alexa (etc) get their information? Is this the result of stuff like google-analytics?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arkell vs Pressdram...

...should be their only responses to such C&D nonsense...

Where's the 'kerrching!' icon to represent the lawyers fees?

3. Number6

Choice of Registrar?

As a precaution he might want to move his registration to a non-US host, just in case a US court tries to force a handover.

4. Tom 13
    Unhappy

Sorry about this one mates.

I'm not so sure this one is a case of bullying. Trademark laws on this side of the pond are insane, and if you don't make legal moves to protect your trademark you lose it. So it is possible that politco.com doesn't give a whit one way or the other about the results of the case, just so long as their mark in The States is protected.

Of course, it also isn't obvious that it isn't a case of bullying. And that alone ought to be enough to get the law changed, but that's rather more difficult when the ones making the laws are the ones profiting from them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Very Different

Over here in the UK things are very different so they really would be better off making sure that they move the registration to the UK and make sure it's hosted here too.

As I understand UK trademartk law as long as they are not guilty of "passing off" (that is purporting to have something to do with politico.com) then they will be safe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like