back to article El Reg space bureau firms up PARIS kit list

Our Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) programme is moving briskly along, and we've now put together an initial kit list for both the main payloads and Vulture 1 vehicle. PARIS: Sponsored by Peer 1 First up, after mulling the main payload, and just what we need it to do, we decided that we didn't really want to get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John70

Constructions

Will you be releasing photos of the construction and testing of PARIS and Vulture 1 before the final launch?

1. Jerome 0
      Black Helicopters

Top secret

If the actual construction/testing process is deemed to be a commercial secret, a playmobile reconstruction would do admirably.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Reconstructions

Will there be a Playmobil reconstruction of the construction?

3. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

re: Constructions

Good one, there, John.

I, for one, would love to see some of the wind-tunnel test footage.

Can't say your "vehicle rollout" would look too inspiring, though, as I'm sure wherever El Reg is working on this thing isn't exactly your KSC VAB.

2. Steve Swann

Time Scale?

Do we have a tenative idea of launch date?

3. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

This is Made of Awesome

I thought I was reading an actual NASA press release, particularly when it spoke about "kit clapping out."

4. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Yay!

Thought you'd forgotten about it.

"To be honest, the prospect of entrusting the release to some form of electronic device gives us the willies"

Sounds like it would have been perfect for PARIS then.

5. Edwin
    Boffin

Release mechanism

Hmmmm - syringes may be susceptible to the somewhat more dramatic temperatures you get up there...

What about an electromechanical release triggered by the needle of an aneroid barometer closing a circuit?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

You must be kidding

And your electromechanical device and barometer will be more resistant to extreme cold than a glass syringe how, exactly?

1. Edwin

Not kidding...

Both systems can be tested for functionality in a deep freezer or over a bath of liquid nitrogen. I'll wager, however, that a solenoid+battery triggered by a barometerwill provide more consistent results than a system relying on the amount of air in a syringe.

That's because the syringe system depends on friction and pressure, and friction is also dependent on things like moisture (is the glass wet or is there frost on it, etc).

Barometers can be bought ready for outdoor use, something that doesn't factor into syringe manufacture...

6. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Exciting stuffs!

If the PARIS mission succeeds are there plans to go to the moon? If so, may I suggest the name "PARIS: Apollo 69"

7. Tom Paine
    Grenade

Curses

A couple of mates and I were planning our own stab at amateur high-altitude phun this summer, but El Reg talking about it public means we'll probably be beaten to it by hordes of over-enthusiastic IT people flinging vast quantities of disposable income at it. I'd just like to warn anyone else thinking of having a go that it's REALLY REALLY HARD, and very expensive (apart from anything else you've no more than a one -in-two chance of recovering the payload, going on past launch stats, which means your custom flight computer, GPS, cellphone, shortwave transmitter (if you're going for the whole packet-radio live telemetry route), not to mention an expensive digital camera... plus all the blood sweat and tears you've put into it. So please don't bother trying. Not til next year, anyway...

PS Oh yeah and you need to give the CAA a month's heads-up to get a NOTAM out. Pilots tend to frown on aircraft drifting randomly through their flight paths, especially if they're not carrying a radar reflector and the first they know about it is a windscreen full of amateur geekery.

Grenade because _this is war_!

8. Anonymous John
    Happy

Love the logo.

Will there be T-Shirts? Mine's an XXL.

9. Grumpy Fellow
    Go

Pyros

Explosive Bolts (a.k.a. pyros). The only way to release anything in space. If you don't use this opportunity to play with them, what are you saving your fingers for?

10. Mr Young
    Thumb Up

cool!

I still want the batteries hanging below the wings with wee cones and fins and wires. Struts as well obviously? Hope it works:)

This topic is closed for new posts.