back to article PS3 sales up, says Sony

Sony recorded a strong rise in PlayStation 3 hardware and software sales during its third 2009 fiscal quarter. During the three-month period ended 31 December 2009, Sony shifted 6.5m PS3s – up from 4.5m units of the console during the same period in 2008. Sony also saw a rise in PS3 software sales, from 40.8m units in Q3 2008 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs

Cheaper, leaner PlayStation3 sells well! Who'd have thought it?

I was waiting for just such a beast, and for the last week or two I've been thoroughly enjoying my shiny new PS3 Slim.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Troll

Cue X-Box trolls

in 3... 2... 1...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Anonymous Coward

However for £100 more, you could have had 3yrs of enjoyment from one and still spend less than a Xbox Live subscription every year...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

meh

If SCE had bothered with a European release of Demon's Souls, I would have bought a PS3 slim- it being about the first platform exclusive that interested me. That would have booster their overall sales by 33.33333%!

However, they didn't, and I don't see why I should have all the hassle of getting an import copy, so screw them- for that and the lack of proper hardware BC, which means I need to keep my PS2 when I get the urge to play Shadow Of The Colossus..

I'm afraid that MGS4, LBP and the brain-achingly generic Uncharted 2 didn't do it for me, and the wait for GTA5 stopped being funny a year ago. Last Guardian will probably be my first unmissable reason to drink the Sony kool-aid this gen.

All the stuff that isn't exclusive looks and runs better on a modern PC or a GatesBox360 anyway, so I do feel a bit miffed at Sony for not giving me a better reason to indulge my shiny toy buying urges this time around- was a happy early adopter of PS2 and Playstation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Hang on..

Why don't you buy Demon Soul then? It's not like games on a PS3 are locked by region, you know... Import Copies? It's a game, is a game, is a game. Doesn't cost the earth for an import, nor will it. You might be one of 10 people that wanted that game (or one of thousands), but it would seem the devs didn't think they could market Demon Soul in the EU.

"All the stuff that isn't exclusive looks and runs better on a modern PC or a GatesBox360 anyway" - I will dis-regard the GatesBox comment as purely benign (I have both, and can see little major differences between them.. for now anyway), but a Modern PC: Yes. you are quite right, and you would need something that would have a graphics card that costs more than a console in it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Measure

"Sony also saw a rise in PS3 software sales, from 40.8m units in Q3 2008 to 47.6m units during Q3 FY2009"

Sure. But they dropped the price of the console, so PS3 revenue went up or down ?

Why all the curves on the newer slimmer PS3 ? Make it look like a BD player and see the sales rise (for those who have to justify buying a games console).

7. Peter 66
    Alien

Meh

Traded my xbox for new ps3 before xmas, not fussed about it really - xbox seemed more fun even through you had to pay for xbox live and the controller was miles better.

Oh I never suffered from the red ring of death

alien face because they know all about red rings

1. asdf
      Flame

one unmentioned fact

I bet a lot of Sonys sales for the quarter are disgruntled xbox owners who got banned before Thanksgiving. I know several that just game their xboxes away as gifts to less addicted gamers (ie friends and family). They figured if they have to buy the games anyway why give another dollar to M$ and still have to pay for online gaming. Piracy on a system moves hardware. I am sure it doesn't hurt Nintendo from a hardware sales perspective.

8. Shades
    FAIL

Bullsh*t Translator

"Sony blamed some of that drop on a decrease in Bravia LCD TV sales, which it claimed were “affected by intensified priced competition”"

We have been trading on our name for far too long and our Bravia TVs are just much too expensive for what they are. As a result "lesser" brands have been giving us a kicking!

While I'm here:

Is Gran Turismo 5 >STILL< not out yet Sony? Gran Turismo was the ONLY reason I purchased a PSX (and subsequently bought GT2). Gran Turismo 3 was the ONLY reason I got myself a PS2 (and then got GT4). Hey Sony, guess when I'll get a PS3...

9. Si 1
    Happy

Got a slim for Christmas

It's a very nice piece of kit, been enjoying Uncharted 2 and God of War Collection on it. It's been a bit underused recently though as Mass Effect 2 arrived. ;)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple explaination

Most of the Final Fantasy fanbois are gearing up for Final Fantasy XIII. I myself bought my PS3 two months ago just because the game is coming out in a few more months.

I even know of people dumping their existing PS3 on eBay, even if it's a month-old PS3 slim, then buying the Japanese special tie-in Final Fantasy XIII tie-in console, just because it has Final Fantasy XIII written in pink on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like