back to article Appeal Court: TV menu decision was irrational, but not unfair

A broadcasting platform did not break the rules on the placing of stations in its electronic programme guide (EPG) even though its decision was partly irrationally based and it used criteria not specifically listed in its policy. The Freesat platform is a satellite service broadcasting free to air stations. Television shopping …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SuperTim

Nevermind....

if i want to buy an ironing board cover or a ped-egg, i will just go to wilko's instead of scrolling through an extra page of tat-foisting channels on my cheapy-ass teevee!

Who do JML think they are? QVC?

2. Number6

Re-arranging the list

If I have the facility to re-arrange the ordering of the channels, the shopping ones end up right at the bottom out of the way. I applaud Freesat for taking my preferences into consideration.

3. heyrick Silver badge
    FAIL

JML?

Surely if they wanted some sort of specific EPG placement or consideration, this should have been written into the contract? Failing to do so KNOWING the importance of placements is a FAIL, and to get legal because of a less than perfect placement when it was more or less left to chance is a FAIL, and because it is a teleshopping channel, FAIL. That's it, three FAILs = Epic FAIL. :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

JML shouldn't worry

If I see JML (or QVC or any of the other ones) in an EPG, the first thing I do is go to the menu to remove/hide the entry. So, if their entry appears later, they actually have a better chance of hanging around for a bit :-)

5. MJI Silver badge
    FAIL

I delete the shopping channels

None on any of my Freeview PVRs or Freesat HD PVR

6. davenewman
    FAIL

Spelling mistakes in categories

How can the courts take EPG listings seriously, when Freeview (and Freesat) cannot even spell their categories correctly?

One of the categories has been

Social/Policial/Economic

for over 5 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Not Freeview

The category text is hard-coded in your box, and not transmitted over-air. Any spelling mistakes are the fault of your box manufacturer, not Freeview.

7. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

Titles? We don't need no steenkin' titles

Lets hope they allocate JML some channel numbers beginning with Z. I don't want to see their trashy shopping channel anyway...

8. chr0m4t1c
    Joke

How did I miss this?

JML have a shopping channel?!?

That's your killer-app right there, I'm going to rush out and buy some Freesat gear this very weekend.

In fact, I might not wait that long, I think my local Comet is open until 8 tonight.

Anyone want to share my taxi to Real Street? I understand that the Real Orchestra is performing the Get Real Symphony at the Reality Theatre tonight.

Sheesh.

9. Simon B
    Thumb Up

Common sense prevails!

Glad FreeSat won, they made a common sense decision based on common sense data. Well done that judge :)

10. Red Bren
    WTF?

Lucky to be there at all!

Bandwidth is a limited resource, and OFGEM should allocate access on the basis of distinctive programming, rather than the ability to buy a slot. How many outlets for bling jewelery do we really need? Or channels showing onstantly repeating loops of Only Fools and Horses and Have I Got News For You? Or +1 channels in case you missed the repeat of the repeat?

Now what channel is ElRegTV on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ElRegTV

With presenters such as Sarah Bee and Cali Lewis it might get a top spot on the EPG :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Nice try, but...

The Moderatrix is not so easily taken in. Kind words and whipped cream will only get you so far...

11. Old Harry

Shopping channels... What are they?

I'm watching Freesat using a Comag satellite receiver which cost me £30 in a supermarket.

I've got all of the channels arranged as I want them and all of the Telly-Selly channels deleted.

Shopping Channels. Never see them.

This topic is closed for new posts.