back to article Michigan man in DIY rocket sled explosion

A Michigan man required hospital treatment when a rocket sled stunt went explosively wrong, ClickOnDetroit reports. The unnamed 62-year-old was holding a "sledding party" at his Independence Township home last Saturday night, and after a few liveners decided it was a really bright idea to assemble an improvised go-faster …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DI_Wyman
    FAIL

Failed..

.....to get a Darwin Award!

Let's hope he has another go!

:-)

2. John Robson Silver badge
    Grenade

Youtube link

Someone videoed it - please

3. S Larti
    FAIL

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

...aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!

4. Code Monkey

Don't be too critical

That's magnificent! This safety conscious world needs more damned-fool drunken stunts like this. Shame it's not on YouTube though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BANG!

"using a motorcycle muffler, a piece of pipe, gunpowder, match heads and gasoline".

In the UK that would get you chared with some terror related offence.

1. Spot the Cat
      Coat

Re: Bang

Looks like in the US he just plain got charred!

6. Captain TickTock
    WTF?

Possible criminal charges?

Is it a crime to be stupid in Michigan?

Need a Dodo icon, for Darwin Awards.

7. Richard 120
    Thumb Up

Well done

He got part way down the hill before it exploded, that's what I'd call a partial success.

8. Martin
    FAIL

Even if it had worked...

....he still didn't qualify for a Darwin Award. He's presumably already had any kids he's going to have at the age of 62, and the idea is that you remove yourself from the gene pool before you get an opportunity to pass your stupid genes on.

1. Chris Hart

Darwin Award qualifications

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/rules1.html

"The existence of offspring, though potentially deleterious to the gene pool, does not disqualify a nominee. Children inherit only half of each parent's genetic material and thus have their own chance to survive or snuff themselves. If, for instance, the offspring has inherited the "Play With Combustibles" gene, but also has inherited the "Use Caution When..." gene, then she is a potential innovator and asset to the human race. Therefore, each nominee is judged based on whether or not she has removed her own genes, without consideration to the number of offspring or, in the case of an elderly winner, the likelihood of producing more offspring. "

9. Rodrigo Valenzuela

No candidate for Darwin award

If the bloke is 62, is very probable that he has children.

If it is so, then he qualifies for a honorary mention or something like that, no the Darwin award

R

10. Lionel Baden
    Thumb Up

when im 62

62 :)

i hope im that stupid i can still ive like a 18 year old

1. Matt 13
      Thumb Up

Genius!

It takes a special breed of man to come up with ideas like that...

Top bloke!

2. Nebulo
      Thumb Up

Brilliant!

As Viv Stanshall might have put it, "in his early sixties and still unusual".

@Lionel - No worries! I'm only a few years short of 62, and I feel just as stupid as I did at 18. :)

1. Ted Treen
        Pint

Likewise @ Lionel

I turned 60 some 3 weeks ago. Best beloved reckons I'm still about twelve.

Growing old is mandatory.

Growing up is optional.

11. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

...and I think it's gonna be a long, long, time...

I was just perusing the related articles listed at the bottom of this one, and noticed a long string of my fellow Yanks injuring themselves in really stupid ways. Perhaps the Reg should group these together in a regularly featured "American Roundup".

Y'know the really sad thing, though, is that these dipshits actually vote in elections. We are so very, very fucked.

1. stupiddairyfarmer
      Flame

Watch yer mouth, Limey...

How would you like us to go all War of 1812 on your arse again?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

What, you mean burn down Washington?

12. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Joke

And in related news...

Acme corporation spokeswolf Wile E. Coyote declined comment on the incident. However, the local Roadrunner population were said to be flooding social networking sites with lots of "ROFLMAO!!!!"

(for my British cousins who may not know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wile_E._Coyote )

1. Ted Treen
      Happy

Any "British cousins"..

..who are unaware of Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner may be deemed to be culturally terminally deficient.

Such ignorance is not acceptable.

(And I'm English).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wow, after reading the Darwin award rules posted above

I have to say that the people who offer that award have no idea how natural selection works.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re:...and I think it's gonna be a long, long, time...

Re Darwin: might not reproduce further, but if he never votes again it's still a gain.

15. S 11
    Go

Whos says Michigan is Bankrupt!

This guy restores my faith in America ingenuity! There's gotta be a way to leverage this to profit.

16. jake Silver badge

As we say around here ...

Stupidity SHOULD hurt!

17. elderlybloke
    Dead Vulture

I remember

a film of a similar event , in the early days of aviation before WW1.

They were silly buggers back then , maybe this 62 year old is a descendant of the original rocket man.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Put him on a charge?

My God! the man was nearly killed and you want to prosecute. How cruel can you be.

Ill tell you what I want to be that drunk when I go pop.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pissed idiot goes "POW".

Fair Dinkum.

Too bad they all were not standing around it when it went up.

Nothing like the "engineers" proof testing their own work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrPydeJlhrg&feature=related

This topic is closed for new posts.