back to article Nokia slashes prices to up market share ante

After a year almost in the shadows, Nokia is back in the cellphone limelight and is showing its aggressive face to those seeking its crown. It has already thrown down the gauntlet to Google with its free mapping and navigation promise, a move that is already shaking up the personal navigation space. In the first weeks of this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MarkOne
    Stop

I just want..

a phone as small as my Nokia 6300 that runs S60, so I can take advantage of the maps. I don't want a stupid iBrick and look like a iPrick.

Nokia are you listening?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you looked at..

The 6110 Navigator? It's pretty small (not as slim as the 6700, of course), but it has GPS, is S60 and is available pretty cheap unlocked..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

iBrick? iPrick?

No fears there then. You just look like a common or garden prick!

2. David Hicks

Any news on N900 dropping soon?

Or ever?

Want one but don't really fancy being the guy that buys it two minutes before a price plunge.

1. Nick Kew
      Pint

@David Hicks - N900

Dunno about it dropping, but having bought mine just in time to pay 15% VAT, I think I might take just that to FOSDEM this weekend and leave the macbook at home. Better still, a pocket-puter I'm happy cycling or trekking with is worth a few squids.

BTW, you're not by any chance the David Hicks who was at Girton round about ... well, let's not reveal my and possibly your great age.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

If Nokia wants to encourage customers ...

Then it should start by making its products compatible with open standards instead of microsoft sub-standards.

At present, nokia's calendar can sync ONLY with mega-expensive outlook. It should get somebody to implement thunderbird compatibility as an absolute FIRST priority.

1. Stuart 22
      Megaphone

Nokia Calendars

@AC "At present, nokia's calendar can sync ONLY with mega-expensive outlook. It should get somebody to implement thunderbird compatibility as an absolute FIRST priority"

My N95 syncs with Google Calendars using Nokia's own free 'Mail for Exchange' applet ... a completely free solution which is ICO compatible.

4. cs94njw
    FAIL

Too little too late...

I have a N95 8GB. I've just finished my 18 month contract and am looking for a new phone.

Nokia is trying to bait me with free navigation software. But I can't test it because my 18 month old phone isn't *allowed* to run it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

It's your Network, not Nokia

You are not 'allowed' to to use the maps as your Network has not approved the new firmware version for your network associated phone. Some networks take ages to do this. My N95 (not 8Gb) works with Ovi maps, but you need to flash it to a generic unlocked version first. Use your favorite search engine to find ways to do this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

RE: N95 8GB

Due to no real improvements for a technical user on the newer Nokia smartphone devices, I'm still using my trusty N95 8GB, having used other newer models.

The N95 and N95 8GB, and other even older Nokias, DO take ovi maps, and is really noticeably faster with the latest 'final' firmware, and I used the free navigation the other day, it really was excellent. Why was it not released with the following firmware though when it came out? 3 years later is almost laughable really...

A new firmware, 35.0.001 (and 35.0.002 for the N95) was released last month unbelievably for the N95 8GB; I couldn't believe it, but certainly it fixes 99.9% of bugs and annoyances.

TO ALL NOKIA MAPS USERS:

The ovi Nokia maps download site is slightly annoying, because you really do have to click on 'show more phones' in various sections to download the 'ovi maps updater', which is actually just the installation package to install ovi maps to your phone; a bit of a misnomer. The 'map loader' to actually un/load moaps is a separate application available, on the same webpage.

I'm not impressed with touchscreen phones, but it's good to see that Nokia are driving prices down; although I can't help but feel, through using both a Nokia 5800, as good as it is, from a product feel and quality point of view my N95 8GB feels better 'made' component-wise.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

RE: Flashing Firmware Yourself

I just wanted to clarify something regarding changing firmware on your Nokia from 'operator branded' to generic, ie: the way it was meant to be in the first place!

You can use Nokia Software Updater (NSU) to update your device, but it will still have the relevant network branding, and you may find your network hasn't bothered to stay with the times, so you may be stick with old firmware forever.

On a device like my N95 8GB you can change the product code with a tool, for example NSS or Phoenix, then use Nokia Firmware Updater with the new 'generic' product code; but this will void any warranty you have. There are reports of Nokia not honouring active warranties as their Nokia Software Updater identifies the product code and your phone's unique IMEI number during update; so they know if you have changed the product code! On an older phone (older than 2 years, in Europe) the warranty will have expired, so fire away and enjoy yourself.

On a newer phone, for educational information only, you COULD change the product code, then use flashing software on your PC and the USB cable to actually flash the phone yourself OFFLINE, ie: using phoenix or other software. Then nobody apart from you would know your product code was changed. In the event something buggers up down the line? Well, in most cases you can still at least get your dead phone to change the product code at the very least, so it's not so much of a worry.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sat Nav on Nokia E72

It is as good as my standalone Tom Tom.

Only problem is that whenever you are close to where you need to be someone rings you....

6. Goat Jam
    FAIL

I still don't want a Nokia

and I doubt I ever will.

Horrible, horrible things.

7. chendry

Nokia go to hell

Stupidly I bought an N97 when they were first released...... I didn't want to be a iPrick but after 6 months of the N97 i wish I was. Words fail to describe how crap the N97 is....

The support faltered as word spread about how shit it is.... 400 quid down the toilet. If you are determine to buy a No'fucking use'kia i'd wait at least 9 months after the initial release, just in case its another N97.

8. MarkOne
    Stop

Finally....

Seems my wish of a 6300/6700 S60 dream is coming true..

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/02/04/nokia-c5-leaked-smallest-smartphone-yet/

The Nokia C5...

I don't want a huge iBrick, be an iSheep, and look like an iPrick using one. I can have one of these...

Thanks Nokia. You haven't bowed to the pressure to make a iJackOfAllMasterOfNone phone...

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why bother with touschreens?

Touchscreens are difficult to type on, fact. Even the iphone in landscape is still not comfortable for sending longish SMSs.

Having just resorted to using a Nokia 6100 tiny wee phone that actually performs basic functions, with the odd business sleight thrown in; I was surprised to learn just how much I can live without a touchscreen, or for that matter a phone that basically has the all-singing all-dancing technology that really we could use when we end up staring at a computer screen.

For most of us in employment, accessing the internet will be done so regularly that the more modern features - speaking as a younger male - are sort of unnecessary. I find few actual benefits to accepting a Nokia 5800 over a second-hand cheapo N95 8GB for example.

It's just style over substance. Although a camera, podcasting, streaming radio etc is all useful, I certainly feel much safer knowing my battery isn't going to die after using some of these features for a short time, as my Nokia 6100 can only basically get used for calls/texts/MMS-texts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like