back to article Bathroom scale plugs into Google Health

Not content with knowing where you go, both in real and cyber space, Google will soon know how much you weigh too - thanks to wi-fi-connected scales. The scale in question come from Withings, and it was launched last year with connections to various fitness websites and an iPhone application. But now Withings has managed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kay Tie
    Thumb Down

And the power supply?

WiFi runs on a coin-cell battery. NOT. So where in the bathroom are you going to plug in its power brick?

1. Alex 75

Uses 4-AAA batteries - No power brick

I have this scale and have been using it for the last 3 months. It uses 4-AAA batteries and only turns on when you stand on it. I have not replaced the batteries yet. Works great and syncs with my iPhone. It can also handle multiple people and if their weights are not identical it can distinguish between them.

2. Just Thinking
      Happy

Power supply

The extension socket, just like I do with the hairdryer and electric fire.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

UK bathrooms - no power outlets

LOL

Weird!

2. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    WTF?

I had thought about...

...a similar mass determining device (USB powered) in the form factor of a remote controlled vibrating cushion.

The supposed purpose would be for cybersex fun, the stealth weighing functionality to determine the truthfulness of your virtual partner's sveltness claims.

The Chatty Fattie (tm).

3. deadlockvictim
    FAIL

Useful data for anyone interested in your weight

Now which interested parties would be interested in your weight? insurance companies, airlines amongst others.

Can you imagine the targeted ads you'll be getting in your browser once you start gaining a few kilos? Gyms, Weightwatchers et al. would love it.

Could this product be any more Market-friendly?

4. Parsifal
    Paris Hilton

Corporate Voyeurism

Next stop weight related targeted advertising from Google. It's bad enough the Government wants to play big brother, voluntarily allowing a commercial company to be a voyeur into your private life is enough.

Whats next, an intercourse monitor to see how long and how well you perform, and advertising based on that! :)

Paris because, well just because

5. Jeremy 2
    Stop

All the world's information...

Google really weren't kidding, were they?

6. jake Silver badge

Why?

If you can't read the scale yourself, you are too fat[1].

Maybe google can email you with the news that it's not the bathroom scale or Ralph Loren that makes you look fat, but rather it's the extra 5 stone you're packing that makes you look fat? Other than that, I see absolutely zero use for this thingie.

[1] With a nod to people with eyes less functional than optimal (like me :-)

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

"I see absolutely zero use for this thingie."

Not thinking very far, are you? The point of this "thingie" is to prove it's possible. As time passes, similar devices will be "encouraged" via tax breaks, insurance discounts, etc. Shortly thereafter these will become mandatory in order to even get some form of health/life insurance. Around the same time it will be mandatory to have health/life insurance.

In other words: you will pay your health premiums, and you will reduce the risk to the insurance companies of ever having to pay out, and you will do so because it is the law.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bathroom power

In the UK RCD protected power sockets have been allowed in certain places in bathrooms since 2008.

In many other countries (including the US) RCD power sockets have been allowed for a long time (and have less strict rules on their positioning). Surprisingly, millions of people aren't killing themselves on a nightly basis.

1. Steve X
      Thumb Up

Archimedes

But Daddy, I just wanted to see if Fido weighed less when he was in the bath.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like