back to article CpW unveils new identity excitingness

Details of the forthcoming Carphone Warehouse demerger are emerging: the company is to become "New Carphone Warehouse" and er, "TalkTalk". New Carphone Warehouse will hold half of Best Buy Europe (Best Buy USA holding the other half), and almost half of Virgin Mobile France, while TalkTalk runs the fixed and mobile businesses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dunstone remains chair of both companies

And so gets two remuneration packages rather than one.

Though presumably it adds up to much the same income as the workload would be the same.

2. Frostbite
    Thumb Down

2 new companies

but same old crap

3. MrWeeble

Virgin Mobile France

If the idea is to split CpW into an entity selling electrical goods and an entity selling communications services, why is Virgin Mobile France (a communications service) ending up in the electrical goods one?

1. Steve Foster

WAG...

There's probably a change of control clause in the licensing of the Virgin brand, which transferring the operation to Talk Talk would trigger. And presumably Charles doesn't want to give Beardy the opportunity to [further] meddle.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Virgin Mobile France

...is run by Omer Telecom based in Vitré (east Brittany) which acts as virtual provider by reselling Orange at slightly better rates (as do many other services, like Breizh Telecom).

As a user of Virgin France, I have two questions:

1. Will this be better or worse for me?

2. Will this put an end to those sleazy Virgin catalogues that looked like they're aimed at sex-starved teenagers?

If anybody mobile-related reads this, I need my mobile for work if hours change or I'm late for whatever reason. I am winding down my Orange phone and keeping Virgin (mainly because I can remember the number!) but would dump them both AND tell mom to drop SFR in a HEARTBEAT for any provider that is willing to offer a PAYG without mandatory credit expiry. I tend to forget my dates and lose my credit (2-10 euros). My poor mother is more organised and keeps adding credit. I think she's up to around 50 euros now. WTF? We get FREE national and international calls via Internet box, so really asides from being contactable and the odd SMS home (and back) while on break, it is there as a "just in case" so credit expiry is really annoying.

The network needn't worry about me trying up their transmitters either. I'm a firm believer in mobile phones being extremely dangerous to your health (no medical evidence, but I saw what happened to my video camera when it got too close to a mobile phone "in use" - if it does that to an electronic device, think of your wetware) so I turn it on maybe for around 20 minutes a DAY (i.e. work break times). I carry it everywhere, but rarely have it on.

So, "New" Carphone Warehouse (hope it won't be like "New" Labour) is looking to get in on some Virgin action over here. Is this good or bad?

This topic is closed for new posts.