back to article Chinese Avatards scale Hallelujah Mountain

Chinese tourist bosses in Hunan Province have jumped energetically onto the Avatar bandwagon by renaming a peak in honour of the paradigm-busting sci-fi epic. Earlier this week, the South Pillar of Heaven (南天一柱, in case you're wondering), located in the Zhangjiajie "Scenic Spot", officially became "Hallelujah Mountain" - a nod …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

Gald to see Hypocrisy and "Communism" are still so closely linked.

Nice to see the fuckwits in China are carrying on the old Soviet style of hypocritical communism -- banning their own subjects from seeing all things "decadent and western" while relying on said decadent West to fund the decadent lifestyle of the country's owners.

2. Richard 120

Is it me?

Or is this film being hyped beyond hyperspace?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Hyperspace Failed!

I guess that'll leave a lot of people fighting the Thargoids, then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

it took me 20 seconds...

you sir are a genius :D

3. LuMan
    Flame

Brilliant

Now those movietards who can't differentiate films from real life have somewhere more tangible to go in order to end their somewhat pitiful lives. Can we start a rumour about odd little dragon-type things that you can learn to fly in order to speed up the process?

BTW - saw the film in 3D and thought it was OK. The hard-assed General-bloke was the best!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Office

What the H....... Do you not know to turn off smart tags ? ? ? 南天一柱

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

They're sending a message all right !

"By changing the name from South Pillar of the Heaven to Hallelujah Mountain, we are sending a message: " Zhangjiejie accepts MasterCard, Visa and American Express.

Who said that China was communist already ? This is about as capitalistic as it gets !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like "South Pillar of Heaven" better

But then I was perplexed why Titanic did so well critically, and now I am perplexed why Avatar seems to be such an awards contender......

7. Ammaross Danan
    Black Helicopters

Correction

The people may be ruled by a communist government, but doesn't mean they (the government) can't be capitalistic in their pursuits. Usually with people in power, it's all about the money. If you can keep your people from having it, it just leaves more for yourself....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like