back to article IBM attempts Google Vulcan death grip

Another Lotusphere is behind us, with news for IBM's business hivemind and collaboration software aplenty. But why does Big Blue host its shindig way over in Orlando, Florida, when it's easier to peek at Google's portfolio on the other coast? Lotusphere 2010 was a bit unusual in that it didn't completely revolve around the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

If IBM is doing it..

.. it will be expensive, but also scale like there's no tomorrow - the virtualisation they have managed to set up on the Power range is impressive.

In addition, an IBM product I may be able to lock down to an enterprise so it ensures continued compliance with various pesky laws like HIPAA and Data Protection which Google ignores, but which can bite a company making the mistake of Google for business in such a setting a potentially costly mistake.

There will also be one other thing happening: only those with a clue will use it. IBM has traditionally been, well, totally crap at marketing. Even if it has a good story you'll never hear of it other than by accident :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Can they make it light and user friendly as well as dev friendly?

Because currently you need a Core2Duo with 4+ GB or RAM just to run the damned client. It's utterly ridiculous.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Runs fine in 2GB

But that is on an XP SP3 machine. I do have a shedload of stuff in the sidebar though, which only gets slowed down by network access issues. Like GFWC, hence AC

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wtf

At the risk of sounding like a fanboi, but how on earth can you suggest that Notes copies Google wave?

Notes has been producing network and web centric collaboration tools going back to the 80s!?

I remember those heady days of notes 3.1/R4.... not an interweb in sight!! Then cam domino etc..

5. Ysean
    FAIL

Author not experienced enough?

IBM is FAR from copying Google. Even the Google Labs comparison is invalid. IBM has been releasing pre-production code & technologies to the masses since AT LEAST the late 90s.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like