back to article Facebook busts ground on first custom data center

Facebook is building its first custom-designed data center, after years of leasing data center space from third parties. Yesterday, the social networking giant broke ground on a new facility in Prineville, Oregon, a small rural community in the northwest United States. "We are designing a facility that will be highly efficient …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Thumb Up

Closer....

2/3 of power is used to cool the heat Generated by the other third.

Building smart cooling into your plant can easily save half.

Utilizing the "Waste" heat for office heating is just the first step toward matching data centers to heat loads, making the heat a commodity instead of a liability.

As i have stated before, a building full of humans is a reliable consumer of low grade heat especially hot water. And every calorie that comes off a chip, is 1/ cc less gas that needs to be burned for the same nice hot shower.. A further carbon reduction.

With Spanner, Google can even help the smart grid shed loads.

My next computer will heat my shower.

2. Tony W

Hope they disinfect it carefully

Evaporative cooling used to be common in the UK before legionnaires' disease started to be a problem.

3. Don Mitchell

Running Warm

Don't forget Amazon, they have long been running warm server centers. Ironically, it was Microsoft who did some pioneering work there, but then they went and built a generation of over-air-conditioned centers. Folks from MS migrated to Google and Amazon, taking the lore of warm data centers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yes!

"Heiliger also said that the facility will capture a portion of the heat generated by servers to heat its office space,"

So I'm not totally loony! Place I work at is in a 2 year old building which has a reasonable sized datacentre on the ground floor, and offices on the first. And guess what?? Friggin' great air-con for the servers, totally separate heating/cooling for the offices. What a total WASTE of energy!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

If they want to save energy and the planet

just shut the bloody thing down!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

agreed, a reduced useless waste is still a waste

Spot on, Facebook appears to be a useless vanity site with no real use other than gathering loads of personal data from millions of people for dubious purposes.

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Who'd a thunk it!

You'd never have thought there were that many people williing and ready to have their privacy abused for the sake of being "friends" with so many other like minded losers!

7. VoodooForce
    WTF?

$$ title is suckage

Does Facebook make any money to pay for this?

1. Pandy06269

The same way...

... that Google does - advertising.

And all those stupid enough to buy "gifts" to send to people to put on their profile.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Lets hope

that its more resilient than the state of the site itself at the moment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like