back to article Lloyds, RBS ditching more tech workers

Lloyds has announced over 500 more jobs cuts, hard on the heels of Royal Bank of Scotland's announcement it is laying off 221 techies at its Dublin Technology Centre. The Dublin centre is to shut later this year with the loss of 196 jobs and 25 posts in Belfast will also go. Some people will be transferred to other RBS offices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redundancy terms

Have you seen them?

"Bank of Scotland IT staff are expecting wide ranging job cuts, although we're also hearing from staff who have left already rather than wait for redundancy."

So they chose to leave with nothing. Instead of waiting for the possibility they'd have to leave anyway but with a nice big cash package? Fair enough...

A/C - I may work for one of the companies mentioned

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Redundancy terms

@AC

What if the redundancy package wasn't going to be as sweet as the new salary they'd go on to collect?

Leaving now and beating the rush seems like the more logical option all of sudden.

There are plenty of people who haven't been with the band of 'merry' IT staff long enough to expect a nice big cash package, but probably would be left feeling like they'd received another sort of large package in a place they’d rather it wasn’t put.

AC because I may still need a reference from one of them at some point in the future.

2. Ned Leprosy Silver badge

They probably weren't informed

> "So they chose to leave with nothing. Instead of waiting for the possibility they'd have to leave anyway but with a nice big cash package? Fair enough..."

If their personnel, sorry, HR department is anything like any other I've experienced, they won't have bothered informing the staff in question until the latest possible moment that they can get away with contractually. Much cheaper to wait for them to get fed up and leave instead of paying them a fat redundancy cheque. Plus they probably get some perverse amusement out of it, too.

1. Mark 65

Fat redundancy cheques

I'd wager that for these taxpayer held companies that statutory minimum is all they'll get. What's that these days, 1 week for every year of employment if that?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Alert

Wishful thinking

It's roughly 1 *month* for every year.

Original AC

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Research on this article?

Computacenter lost the HBOS desktop contract circa 2007 (it went to Fujistu-siemens

RBS is more state owned than Lloyds so either should be as controversial as the other

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT boycott

If all the people who work in IT boycotted these companies who offshore jobs and generaly shafting IT workers when its all the ruddy accountants fault then they would have to listern.

Work in IT - look at changing banks if its one of those two. fuck em. I did.

anon because a good idea isn't tied to a name.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: IT boycott

I would for one but problem is virtually all banks are the same, so unless you can live without a bank account you're stuck with the b*****s. Unless you've found a bank I missed?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lloyds' stone age tech

Shame Lloyds will probably keep the analysts who designed their lumbering, obtuse customer dbs, and the muppets who like to keep the servers permanently a decade out of date..

After a few visits/ phone calls where 'the system' is down; *across the organisation; *for hours at a time - I found I'd fallen of the db cos I'd got a card sent through to the branch (not the only schoolboy bug, or the first instance).

Now the govt owns Lloyds, maybe they could save a few bob and develop the NIR 'in-house' at Lloyds - that'd be fun to watch!

5. copsewood
    Grenade

leaving the sinking ship

I've just moved my current account from a big bad corporate cannibal bank that eats its own kind to one of the few friendly local and mutual building societies left. I'm fed up of being taxed in order to pay bonuses to these bastards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Further down the tubes...

I bank with RBS, but not online, as I have repeatedly found their enthusiasm for online banking to outstrip their expertise. Presumably things can only go even further downhill now.

7. ToddRundgren
    Pint

Jocks fault

Royal Bank of SCOTLAND and Halifax Bnak of SCOTLAND. It must be the fault of the hairy arses?

Pint ay Tennets pls

8. Paul was already taken
    Happy

@ToddRundgren

We did it on purpose. You steal our oil, we bankrupt your economy. Simples

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Paul

I accept you were probably making a flippant point, but, a couple of things:

1) Something like 1/3 of the oil is actually south of the boarder

2) The Barnet formula on the face of it is pretty good for Scotland, rubbish for England

3) It's a UNION we share things for the greater good.

9. Mike Bell

@Mark65 - Statutory Minimum

The statutory minimum is worse than that (1 week for every year) since each of those weeks is capped at something ridiculous like £300.

Unionisation can make a tremendous difference here. Once-upon-a-time I was made redundant and I picked up a pay check for nearly twenty grand. Tax-free. When it could have been less than two grand.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gone to another continent.

As an Ex RBS IT employee (and thankful for it) I can assure you that the terms will be good for redundency, the dublin office has been open since 1997, the terms for the Ulster Employees was something ridiculous like 6x there monthly salary for each year worked plus extra if they had children.

I expect that all of the jobs are actually going off to India, not that senior management would admit that, projects are simply closed in the UK and Ireland and no new projects are started in the UK/Ireland. That way they never have to admit they are offshoring.

There are still plenty of IT workers coming over from India on visas while UK workers are allowed to rot on the dole queue. The London office has a considerable number of them. Not much you can do when the government allows it. Much like most of the manufacturing industry going offshore it seems that anything and everything that can go will go, all the while the government sits back and watches without wanting to intervene.

Unions are good but in the face of cuts can do very little, especially as the union/management relationship is more or less dead at RBS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like