back to article Egyptian mobile users warned off Koran-based ringtones

Egypt's supreme religious law authority has delivered a stinging slap to mobile users who were adapting verses from the Koran as ringtones, saying they were violating the sanctity of the word of God. Mufti Ali Gomaa has put a stop to the practice, according to Reuters, on the basis that users could truncate the holy verses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

Blow? Boon!

Scenario is thus:

- believer finds annoying internet ad for koran-ringtone,

- believer forks over money,

- after day novelty wears off and/or someone points him to this fatwa (forbidding it),

- believer forks over money for other ringtone.

See how it actually doubles the industry's income instead of destroying it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Crazy Frog

Well i always thought crazy frog was a crime against God & mankind

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Biblical quotes OK then?

So long as it's from the old testament...

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

I actually use a Biblical reading

As a text/e-mail alert.

"Woe to you of earth and sea.... for the Devil sends the Beast with Wrath... because he knows the time is short... Let Him Who hath Understanding reckon the Number of the Beast...." etc

(I also have another quotation from the Book of Revelation for the same purpose. The bit about raining blood and boiling seas etc, but that's a reading rather than cut from the mp3 of a ripped Iron Maiden CD ^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W bought from a legal source, honest...)

Strangely, they're not that popular amongst Christians who hear it either, so go figure?

(Yes, I know the Book of Revelation is NT not OT, but hey...)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saint of the day and 'Daily Pope'???

Oh if only Father Ted were with us now.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

And

Does it cost £4.50 a week like the ones here? That's sneaky.

Of course for all I know, Egyptians are running those as well. If it isn't Nigerians.

Couldn't you deliberately let your phone play the whole verse? So that it does say "Our souls forever look unto heaven" and not just "Our souls".

Or are we talking about the media recording that people hear when they phone you (you can buy those), and you don't necessarily know where it's got to when you answer. "Sell all you have and give the money to - " "Imran Khan, who s it calling, please?"

6. Nux Vomica

"confusing the quotations and misdirecting themselves"

Oh Lordy no! Read it in the context of the book in which it was written you can take it or leave it, but if I hear it on a ringtone... I JUST GOTTA DO IT.. AND RIGHT NOW!

Why do people have to constantly reinforce the notion that unquestioned belief in a an omniscient supernatural deity implies gullibility?

Mind you, now that I've read Stephen King's "Cell"..................

7. ian 22

Phatwa Fail

What penalty for violating this fatwa? Loss of mobile service? Loss of ear/other body part?

8. peyton?
    Flame

Good move

In fact, any ringtone that attempts to "speak" or "sing" can be banned in my book.

1. Oninoshiko
      Thumb Up

agreed:

http://www.xkcd.com/479/

2. ck 1
      FAIL

Crazy frog

Your criteria are insufficiently broad. The crazy frog neither speaks or sings so would slip through. Please fix this asap.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

I've got the devil in me today

So it was the wrong day to read this, I don't do ringtones, but I'm making an exception. Guess what I'm going to have!

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
      Joke

A Guess

From your saying your "have the devil in you", my guess is "Devil Inside" by INXS?

Plz donait ma prize to teh kittiez kthxbai!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just so I understand

Did god (whichever one floats your ark) not also make mobile phones and ringtones then? And if there is a god surely he wouldn't have inflicted Josh Ward on us all?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Someone please explain

Could someone please explain what the attraction is for organised religion? It seems to be a bunch of annoying arbitrary rules that take any fun out of life, made up by dull men who need to spend, but haven't, a good night with a bad woman/man/both.

The rules are annoying, irrational (although the ban on pork in an area where porcine liver flukes are endemic makes sense), and make followers even more irritating and aggressive than they would be normally.

Grenade, because many (not all, I'm told) religious hate criticism and love explody things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

I can explain

Explaination: It's a brain disease, passed on from parents to children.

The infected suffer from delusions of having an invisible friend in the sky. They also insist that they're better than the rest of us, despite the cock-a-mamy nonsense they spout at every opportunity.

Ever seen a zombie movie? If you redubbed any of them so that "Aaaarrr", "Brains" etc were replaced with "Accept Jesus as your saviour" and "God be with you" then it would be thousands of times more scary...

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

For all that is pasta-based!

Oh my FSM [insert preferred mythical deity here], what a load of old tosh!

Primitive

Backwards

Misguided

Foolish

And they're just the mobile phone users....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like