back to article Bill Gates hits Twitter, re-opens Facebook

Bill Gates, the man who foresaw the PC revolution but underestimated the impact of the web on Microsoft, has happened upon another facet of the internet: Twitter. The cofounder and former chief software architect of Microsoft fired off his inaugural Tweets on the afternoon of January 19. The Tweets came as Gates also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

All y'all do realize ...

... that anyone actually paying attention to $GENERIC celebutard's twitting are massaging the ego of said celebutard, who in turn wouldn't give you the time of day if you passed them in the street. Likewise, if you are on $GENERIC celebutard's "friends" list, do you REALLY think that you'll be invited to their birthday party? Or even something as simple as a pint at your local?

I find the whole "social networking" phenomenon absolutely astonishing ... Are people really as shallow as it would appear? Or is it simply that in our modern society, we have so many toys that we've forgotten how to have a real life of our own, and are trying to live vicariously through others as a means of compensation?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

You could be right

I agree, I don't understand it either. But Bill Gates is different. I mean he's not posting just any drivel.

Paris because she knows about drivel.

2. N2

Agreed

No wonder all the local pubs are closing with half the nation addicted to what some dopey celebrity is up to.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Who Cares

About BillyG any more? Perhaps there are some out there that still hang on his every word but his time has past.

Unless this is his attempt to return to the spotlight once more? Perhaps being a 'celeb' has addled his brain?

Personally, twitter is for losers who don't have anything better to do. Being a 'follower' seems to remind me of a certain fairy tale set in Hamelin.

BB as there is no escaping him

3. NickH
    Thumb Up

Fair do's

Yes, the Social Networking thing is all about making people who can't 'network' in the real world have bigger ego's, and yes, i use it myself.

However, good job for @Billgates starting on twitter. He doesn't run Microsoft any more, he runs a Charitable foundation, and if using Twitter raises more awareness of that, then +1 to him!

4. JasonW
    Coat

Dunno why...

... but every time I see his name or face I think of Kermit the Frog. I think I'll follow Kermit on Twitter instead.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@jake

"Are people really as shallow as it would appear?"

Yes.

(Weeps copiously)

6. Nanki Poo
    Gates Horns

Hmmm, I wonder . . .

I had been thinking recently that I wouldn't be surprised if Billy 'did a Steve' and came riding home to save the ranch from the fate of collapse from its own friendly fire.

Maybe this is the first sign of a return from the wilderness... I wanna be a fly on the wall when he gets back, though not within range of any chairs!!

nK

7. Seanmon

Pretty sure...

...much celebutard twatage is generated by PR droids anyways.

I am on twitter, but solely to impress non-techy PHB types who might be in a position to offer me jobs.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Gates Horns

Bill Gates and Twitter?

I'd say that they deserve each other, but that just seems so inadequate to express the level of serendipity involved here.

Bill gets a load of sheep to follow him so he can work on his messiah complex and Twitter get fuck all apart from some free publicity, reinforcing the validity of their business model. A marriage made in heaven.

9. Jerome 0

Friends or fans?

"That compares to 31,361 following him within the four hours of joining Twitter. So much for his complaint in 2009 when he closed his Facebook account of being overwhelmed when just 10,000 people wanted to be his friend."

The clue is in the words here: "friends" and "followers". Facebook is not designed for you to have a bunch of random strangers as friends. Twitter, on the other hand, is there so that your legions of adoring fans can hang on your every word. There's no comparison between BillyG's 30,000 odd Twitter followers (all good) and 10,000 Facebook "friends" (you are doing it wrong).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't find BillGates on Twitter

must have been suspended again...

11. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like