back to article LG publishes bendy 19in e-newspaper

LG has developed an e-journal reader that not only measures a whopping 19in but is also flexible. LG_19in_ebook_02 LG's 19in bendy e-reader: a world's first The company said its device is the world’s largest e-book reader to date and that it has been designed to make users feel as though they are holding a real newspaper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Indomitable Gall

Radius...?

Any word on how tightly it can be rolled when not in use?

2. My Alter Ego
    Thumb Up

I want, I want, I want

But I'll never get.

3. Steven Knox
    WTF?

Ok...

Controls? Pricing? Connections?

Or is this another in a VERY LONG line of "prototype" flexible screens that don't ever actually make it to market?

4. Filippo Silver badge

not foldable

A shame it's only bendable. As is, that's not much more useful than a rigid screen. I'm still waiting for something that can be folded or rolled so as to fit in a pocket.

5. Tom 7

I like the screen

but can I have one that I can bluetooth to my current PC/Phone please.

6. Jaymeister
    Go

At last!

Finally, an e-reader that I'd actually consider buying appears to be approaching.

Honestly, I'd love something like this if I could get my daily newspaper delivered to it over the air, as well as open some other document formats, and it didn't cost the earth.

I don't have pockets big enough for a regular e-reader, especially not one big enough for comfortably reading a newspaper on. One that can be rolled however, is a totally different story!

Unfortunately, I'd be very surprised if this thing is released with a reasonable price tag. Shame really.

7. J 3
    Paris Hilton

Pretty cool

Although it looks a little clumsy to carry around if you can't roll it or fold it.

Now, if they make the screen relatively cheap, that could work. A master unit in the pocket, cellphone-sized, transmitting the data to the page as you ask for it. If the screen got damaged, lost, etc., you could just buy another one and pair it with the transmitter. Changing to a bigger/smaller/more resolution/whatever screen would be the same, as long as the new screen did not demand capabilities not supported by the transmitter.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the screen was more expensive than the rest of the machine, in which case this idea of mine is a relative fail...

8. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

Black on grey

Black on grey sucks. Where is my black on white? Also where does the battery, memory and other circuitry go? It does not look that flexible to me neither. If you bend it in half will it leave a crease or break?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

More to the point..

..does it do the ONE thing all other eBook readers just cannot do (well, not repeatedly)?

Can you swat flies with it ???

Joking aside, that idea is excellent. I want it yesterday if it's anywhere near sensibly priced.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        Happy

More More to the point.. # ↑

Or eat chips off it.

9. Anonymous John

Um.

Where are the electronics, battery, USB socket, etc?

10. Nuno
    Stop

whats the point?

I can really see no use for such a device. Give me a smaller screen, if not foldable, at least rollable, and I will be happy with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think farther down the road...

Imagine a notebook PC with a scroll-up-display, like the movie-screens of old. The display rolls up into a tube along the back edge of the machine, you flip up a couple of pieces of metal (the kind of stuff you would see on a foldable music-stand) and there's your display!

Of course you can't fold it... sheesh... ball up a sheet of paper and then flaten it out... would you want to use it to take notes after doing that? Only things I know of that you can (easily) take creases out of are memory-metals and fabrics. Crease anything any you will ruin it... or at the very least have a heck of a time getting the crease out.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Silk

Someone should be working on e-ink on e-silk ... now THAT would fold, or even screw up into a ball, without getting creased.

11. Ian Michael Gumby
    Thumb Up

I want one!

Subject says it all

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Wow

It is pretty impressive.

Let's hope it's not at a stupid price.

13. John Sanders
    Paris Hilton

Yeh right 19"

But for how much?

I could design my own wood casing in a snap...

Paris because even when she has to tell someone to pay the goods, that someone will ask how much.

14. Puck

Now the removal of heavy parts would work...

...with smaller e-book readers. 250g for the latter is far too heavy. Make it lighter than a light novel and you've got a product with an actual selling point, in fact, make that 'reason for existing'.

As for this majestic, large e-broadsheet reader, it is awesome, and in a way unfortunately highlights the relative superflousness of the product it's made to display: newspapers are a throwaway thing, full of opining, gossip, speculation, trivia - if a news item is really important it'll turn up in the history books anway. What was it Abe Lincoln said about not reading a paper from one month to another (hope I've my POTUSes right here), and being none the worse off for it? After all, before we were all addicted to the detroyer-of-time which is the internet - we - and by we I mean I - were addicted to our favourite newspaper(s).

15. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Go

You do have to say....

eBook readers might suck and be mostly useless, but they do appear to have spurred a lot of really nifty display R&D.

What would be REALLY REALLY cool would be if they could hook 'em up to GPS. Can you imagine a map-sized map that actually is a zoomable/pannable GPS display? Even black & white would still be tons better than the tiny little squint-tins we have now.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Hikers dream

I have been thinking for years I want a flexible GPS-enabled map that can replace the pile of OS maps I have round the house, with the added benefit that it can highlight my position. I am sure with some sensible electronics (solar / pietzoelectric / motion cells) it could be made to power itself.

16. b166er

Bendable is OK

It doesn't need to fold, just as long as the bend radius is small enough to pocket.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Unhappy

OK, but.....

It *does* need to be able to fold without damage.

Otherwise coming back to it and finding that where it says: "e-Reader. Do not fold" on the case, some wag's written "Oh yes it do" underneath could seriously try your sense of humour.

Bound to happen. Small child, curious smug sod at the next desk, demo to pissed-up mates in pub, all equally fatal.

17. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

paper

why pretend to be somerthing else?

I'd like a 19" screen if it dould be stowed in a walking stick, but just being a bit floppy is needless parody.

Newsprint is fine. Leave it alone. It can be used to line bird cages, crumpled up for packaging, or used to light a fire.

18. ShaggyDoggy

Fake

Battery ?

19. Mike Kamermans
    Happy

This is still a tech site =)

This is still a tech site, not a "consumer product" site - this is awesome tech and deserves reporting, but is also nowhere near an actual product. come back in two years.

20. Dennis Healey
    Pint

So the scrolling display is back!

Now who has the nerve to claim intellectual property right on the scroll?

Could work well with the electronics, battery (though it needn't be big) and the controls on the core. The only problem being the tendency to screen curl.

21. JaitcH
    Unhappy

NO GOOD! It won't keep my Fish and Chips warm

Whilst I can see applications for replacing paper posters (even those used by newspaper vendors in London) it still won't replace good old newsprint that I love to buy Fish and Chips wrapped up in when I visit Britain.

Another tradition dumped. What a pity!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Re. scroll..

(cursing at the broken backplane on his 4m old reader)

hmm. it occurs to me that some carefully placed strips of muscle wire or polymer could stop the screen rolling back up at some minor cost in battery life.

as for foldability, my own experience with the e-ink material suggests that it *could* fold along predefined locations but each display would need to be electrically separate with common power, data and ground lines.

there'd be a small gap but barely noticeable in normal use.

Now what would be cool is a "credit reader" e-ink receipt replacement, to save all that wasted paper. Make it the same size and shape as a credit card but include one way encrypted comms so any compatible printer could "print" to it.

Maybe include a touch screen to switch between stored receipts?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Coming Of Age

This technology will really come of age when it features 3D imaging.

So you can read a newspaper on this device? Very good. Keep up at the back please. Now how's about offering an extension to this idea so that page 3 becomes worth viewing, and provides the type of braille interface which would make it useful to the terminally blind?

And Paris, not because of page 3 references but because I think I probably would go terminally blind due to what I was doing with her page 3 option.

24. Christian Berger

Hardware: Problem solved

What we need now is something like the web, but for such documents. A network where everybody can provide content and everybody can read it, without having to go through a relevant middle man.

25. Martin H Watson

But can you...

...swat flies with it?

26. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

Your all missing the point...

How does the Page 3 girl look on it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like