back to article Canon Digital Ixus 200 IS

Some digital cameras cry out to be touched. They’re sleek, they’re stylish and it’s hard resist the temptation to pick them up. Canon’s range of Ixus cameras falls into this category, and the Digital Ixus 200 IS takes this step a further by being the first Ixus to offer a touchscreen interface. Canon Ixus 200 IS Touching …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

Why don't they...

Why don't they add a GSM chip and have done with it? :)

2. James 5
    FAIL

No viewfinder ..

.. won't buy!

Bought an Ixus without viewfinder and it's hopeless on bright days when there's all that snow about - also hopeless when you're in the hills trying to quickly line up a summit photo in a force 9 gale !

1. Mark 65

Re: No viewfinder

and it's also hopeless when you use a viewfinder because it's not a through the lens SLR type and they are just soooooo shite on compacts. If it had one you'd probably complain about the screen being too small because that's what would get reduced or, if it wasn't, then it'd be the size of the unit as something's gotta give to get it all in.

Viewfinder -> get an SLR or quality bridge camera as it's the only place it makes sense

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: No viewfinder

I think we are all aware that optical viewfinders on compact cameras cannot be used for accurate framing however in the conditions mentioned even a basic optical viewfinder will at least ensure the camera is pointing in the right direction. Unless the subject is very close a viewfinder is more than sufficient for such a camera.

1. Mark 65

But

A set of eyes will also do the same job. I'd have said that on a bright day with plenty of snow about focussing it would be more of a problem than pointing it in the right direction. I'd get used to missing viewfinders - they're a thing of the past on compacts.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Tilt

The problem with compacts when you can't see the image is that due to the way people hold them, usually at arms length but not level with the eye, it's very easy to tilt them up or down.

3. James Thomas 1
    Thumb Up

Snow

I got one for Christmas - grey import from America so a lot less then the uk rrp

We have had a lot of snow and the snow mode it offers is excellent took a fantastic photo of my wife and son just by pointing the camera at them - don't really need a viewfinder just experiment with the settings!

Overall I'm very impressed with the camera

4. zourtney

Viewfinders and Pocket Lint

Just to fuel the viewfinder discussion...

I've owned two Canon pocket cameras over the past 8 years, models S200 and SD600. The optical viewfinders on both quickly collect pocket lint and obscure the small viewing hole. I'll admit, I'm pretty rough on my cameras, carrying them in my jeans pocket pretty much every day. Nonetheless, it seems to be a consistent design flaw ("under engineered feature?") on the models I have owned. Perhaps they've revised this since the mid-2000s models, but I doubt. And honestly, I don't think they expect anyone but "old people" to be using viewfinders these days. Personally, I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

The underwhelming specs sound about like what I'm used to in a Canon pocket camera. But they have treated me well. I'll be keeping this one in mind for when my old SD600 finally bites the dust (it's close!).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like