back to article Dodgy Haiti earthquake-themed domains point to scams

With sad inevitability, fraudsters have rushed to register the Haiti earthquake-themed scam URLs in the wake of Tuesday's natural disaster in the impoverished Caribbean country. Not all the newly registered domains may turn out to be fraudulent, but ever since Hurricane Katrina in 2005 the registration of fraudulent domains …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sir Runcible Spoon
    FAIL

Sir

A sad indictment on the depths of human depravity and callousness.

FAIL for the human race.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Maybe the first.

From all I have heard about what it actually has for collecting money, the Whitehouse.gov site seems to have been the first.

There was a national announcement, about helping Haiti, and people were told to go to the site, by a named individual with some notoriety.

Seems all the site does is collect your information, then tell you where you should have gone in the first place.

3. 46Bit
    Pirate

You know what's next ...

Coming up next - a government bill on a highly restricted whitelist of sites Brits can visit just in case anyone gets scammed/infected/insert buzzword here.

4. Shannon Jacobs
    Pint

Where's the news?

The spammers are already pitching everything from Gerber baby food to motorized wheelchairs. Now that I've reminded them they aren't yet cradle to grave, the next pitches will be for coffins or graves.

I wish Gmail had a spam response system like SpamCop, but on steroids. I think there are a lot of people who would be glad to help shut down the spammers, but they just need a bit more help.

1. Anonymous John
      Unhappy

Re Where's the news?

Closing free email accounts used by scammers does more harm than good, as a new one can be set up in a few minutes.

The longer they last, the more likely they show up on Google, etc as scams. And if you are wasting a lad's time by baiting him, the last thing you want is his account closed.

Two scam emails have already been reported on www.scamwarners.com.

5. wv9e

Scum

They don't catch these pond scum lickers very often and when they do it's never more than a few months in slam. I say 20 years and in severe cases like Chinese scum hackers and cons a life sentence for e-fraud.. beheading would be the best for some but that can't happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.