back to article Samsung SH-BO83L

For those using their PCs as home entertainment centres, the Samsung SH-BO83L internal drive turns your computer into a versatile Blu-ray player while also acting as a fast DVD and CD writer. In one step, it upgrades your disc burning ability and adds BD-Rom support at a thoroughly reasonable price. Samsung SH-BO83L Internal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. exit...quit...bye...quitbye.ctrl-C..ctrlX.ctrl-alt-X...aarrrr*slam*

No DVD-RAM

Why some drives include DVD-RAM support and some don´t will most probably be forever beyond me.

2. tanujay
    Happy

DOES IT DO 3D BLU RAY ? (SERIOUSLY)

Hi,

Can any one tell me if the PC BLU RAY readers can do 3D with an upgrade to power DVD or windows Media player.

and does any one know how much a 120 HZ monitor with the active shutter cost. I am guessing this

is the setup needed for viewing 3D.

3. Steve John

Does it work with MCE?

So, does this allow playback of blu-ray movies through Windows Media Center (Win 7).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

E-Mails for downloads

This is why I always enter bogus emails in order to download. There's no reason to give it out in order to download a driver that will make the product I bought work correctly. It's not to determine what was wrong with the product, but to send advertisements. I get a minimum of b.s. in my acct. and I'd like to keep it that way.

5. Shamalam
    FAIL

Great Price?

It's 20 quid more than the Pioneer BD-ROM I bought 2 years ago, and offers no more functionality.

These drives should be under £40 by now.

PowerDVD 8 doesn't support bitstream audio passthrough, effectively crippling the audio.

For 80+ quid I expect *alot* more than this package offers.

1. Brian 6

60 Quid 2008 ??

"It's 20 quid more than the Pioneer BD-ROM I bought 2 years ago, and offers no more functionality."..............If there had been any £59.99 PC internal blue ray drives 2 years ago Im sure El Reg would have reviewed them. But there wasn't.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wake me up when its cheaper

Sorry a great price would be about £30 ,after all they must be cranking those bluray diodes out by the gazillions by now.

7. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Flame

Blue-ray playback

It's maybe a bit harsh to lay the blame for this at Microsoft's door (except that they are in bed with the film industry on this).

BlueRay has a built-in technology to prevent you from actually seeing the film. If it was a good film, you might even remember some of it, and that would be a violation of the film industries desires.

You get all sorts of trouble in WinXP, Vista etc., and also with normal stand-alone players and TVs. Just putting a Blue-Ray disc in a Blue-Ray player, connected to a HD display does not get you what you want, unless the moon is in the correct alignment and a butterfly flaps it's wings 100m away!

However I can suggest using Slysoft which will allow you to not only watch the film, but at lower CPU load and with less likelyhood of jitter.

1. Monkey

You might have given your knee jerk...

anecdotal post a little more credit if you'd spelt 'BlueRay' correctly. Let me guess... shoe horned Blu-Ray into an old entertainment setup and it couldn't cope and rather than invest to get it all working properly, as many people quietly realised they had to, you thought getting all bitter and narky about it like a petulant child.

I bet you think Sony invented BlueRay as well don't you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like