back to article Rugby Football Union scores 3D first

Next month’s rugby match between England and Wales looks set to go down in history as Blighty’s first live sports event broadcast in 3D. England team sponsor O2 said 40 cinemas across the country will show the 6 February Twickenham match live in 3D. Paul Vaughan, Operations Director for the Rugby Football Union, said: “I hope …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Pullen
    Paris Hilton

Pass

At £12.50 (though that does include a free pint for O2 customers) I wont be rushing to the nearest cinema that has it on - shame.

Paris as I'm sure she has seen plenty of odd shaped balls in 3D

2. Jimmy Floyd

Conversions

Rugby might actually be a good sport to put into 3D, primarily because it's always tricky to tell when a conversion is going wide. Mind you, shots at goal in football suffer the same problem in 2D. Can't see Formula 1 really gaining much from it, though.

1. Mike Flugennock

Formula 1 in 3D?

Oh, I don't know... it might be pretty cool, if only for the perverse thrill of thinking "holy shit, that car's coming _right_at_me_!!"

3. Col 4

Would be nice...

... if there was a link to the list of cinema's that were showing it.

I tracked it down on the O2 site. Unfortunately it's only being shown at the local Odeous.

1. Alan Brookland
      Pint

Event venue link

I love that you trakced it down, but still didn't post a link! It's here

http://www.o2blueroom.co.uk/3drugbylive

(Mind you i'll probably now find that the Reg commenting system removes links automatically and you actually did....)

4. jackharrer
    Happy

Wrong sport

It is obvious that the most important sport for 3D is Miss of Wet T-Shirt. That would fill cinemas nicely ;)

5. Santa from Exeter
    Headmaster

On yer bike!

"Neither match will be the first time O2 has taken over cinemas in order to pedal the benefits of 3D, however."

Hmm, does this mean that the cinemas will have green leccy generation by pushbike power then? Or did someone peddle them the cheap option?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

F1 in 3D

You're kidding, right?

We haven't even got it in HD,......

And if they ver did broadcast in 3D, tickets would be 500 quid to help little Bernie line his pockets and help CVC get their money back!

7. Lloyd
    FAIL

£12.50????

You're having a giraffe, I can watch it down the pub for free with a pint in my hand, they don't seem to understand rugby fans too well do they?

8. MadMonkOfFunk
    Pint

3D?

So, I can go watch the game in a cinema or in a pub? Hummmmm.....

Pint of your finest larger please!

9. Mike Flugennock

Rugby in 3D

We don't get to see much rugby here in the States, but I have seen enough to know that the thought of seeing rugby played on a movie-theater screen in 3D sounds positively terrifying... especially since they don't serve beer at the theater.

MadMonkOfFunk's got it right. Screw the funny glasses; go watch the game at a nice cozy bar where you can drink beer while you watch.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clearly not a first...

...as a simple web search for "bbc 3d rugby" should prove.

Maybe the satellite broadcast on the 8th March 2008 (RBS Six Nations rugby match between Scotland and England) wasn't for a general public audience, but that is a minor detail that hasn't got anything to do with the technical achievement.

11. Steve Hosgood
    IT Angle

England - Wales match, but not in Wales?

Doesn't seem that there's any cinemas in Wales listed as covering this match. That's a pity - and a potential loss of business for O2. Rugby is highly popular in Wales, and the England match is a cult event!

I don't hear any discussion about the technology (where's the IT angle?).

Like, what resolution super-HD signal are they expecting to distribute? How many cameras are they running at Twickers? Do you get a simulated pitch-side centreline seat to watch the match from, or will the view cut and pan around the place as happens on TV?

If the latter, better have the barf bags handy!

Steve

This topic is closed for new posts.