back to article No more dirty phone calls

Most people would shudder at the thought of putting their mobile phones in the dishwasher. This is precisely what Seal Shield invites you to do with its new SEAL CELL handset. Or put it in the sink for a regular clean up. silver_shield Seal Shield's phone: stick it in the dishwasher The phone is water resistant (and not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Video

Does it come with video?

If so, you could get really bizzare footage and find out why there is always one thing that doesn't get cleaned properly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The Ann Summers Phone?

As long as it has a vibrate function I can see it appealing to the fairer sex.

3. Stu
    Joke

Dropped in toilet

So what if somebody drops this in the toilet, as is the most likely accidental damage to happen to mobile phones in general, I would imagine not only it would survive perfectly fine, but will also decontaminate your toilet with its anti-germ surface layer?

Imagine that, a phone you could just retrieve from the unflushed pub toilet on a late friday night and stuff straight back in your pocket!

Fantastiche!

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
      Alert

I'd just like to say...

"Imagine that, a phone you could just retrieve from the unflushed pub toilet on a late friday night"

**EUUUW** Factor 10, anti-germ surface notwithstanding...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not likely to decontaminate your toilet

But since toilets have 500 times less germs per square inch then mobile phones the phone will be cleaner and the toilet will need to be decontaminated.

3. SirTainleyBarking
      Go

I'm not the only one to kill a phone like that

quite common for a mobile in a shirt pocket to go for a swim with the "kids in the pool".

Our IT department has had to replace more than one phone that went to a watery grave

They don't have a problem with that, but they insist you swap out the memory card and SIM yourself.

This is of course the same IT department that sent a Blackberry Pearl to a watery but happy grave in a pint of John Smiths

4. Elmer Phud

Give it the heave-ho!

"cell phones are the highest carrier of bacteria with 25,000 germs per square inch, or 500 times more bacteria than the average toilet".

Which makes 'speaking to god down the big white telephone ' seem like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

5. John H Woods Silver badge

Number of germs always makes me laugh ...

of course a toilet has far fewer germs on it than a dish-towel, or most food prep surfaces. But then, 90% (by number) of the cells in the blob referred to as a human body are germs. But the washability looks great. Kudos to the commenter who suggested it as a dishwasher diagnosis tool!

6. Richard Scratcher
    Alert

"Germs" per square inch?

Mobiles phones may have more bacteria per square inch than a toilet but I know which one I'd rather lick.

What sort of bacteria were included as germs in the study? Yoghurt contains billions of bacteria but we don't need to decontaminate it.

Some of Dr Gerba's (aka Dr Germ) recent research was funded by the Clorox company.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

A true SEAL phone?

Yeah, mines the one with the old Steve Seagull DVD in the pocket.

8. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

Douglas Adams had it right...!

FORD: Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B, Hold Seven: Telephone Sanitizer, Second Class. And a serial number!

ARTHUR: ”Telephone Sanitizer”? A dead telephone sanitizer?

FORD: Best kind. ...

9. Steve Roper
    Thumb Up

In other news

The Telephone Sanitisers' Union has called for strike action in the wake of the release of a new waterproof phone, which they claim will put thousands of telephone sanitisers out of work. With hopes that the recent study showing that phones carry 500 times more bacteria than a toilet would increase demand for services, the TSU says that the release of a waterproof phone would encourage people to sanitise their phones themselves. This, they claim, due to lack of training in telephone sanitisation techniques, could potentially result in millions being wiped out due to virulent diseases contracted from dirty telephones.

Meanwhile, the Space Ministry's new "B" Ark project is nearing completion and officials say it could be ready for launching as soon as...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drug dealer market?

I saw an article somewhere which said that law enforcement are taking swabs from drug dealers' mobile phones because they are so good at retaining traces, what with all the seams, edges, gaps in buttons and so on. Looks like the same principle as harbouring germs. So perhaps there'll be a market for drug carriers who want a phone which is more resistant than normal to picking up crud.

1. Steve Roper

Wouldn't work

Those drug tests are so incredibly sensitive that even if you washed the phone 500 times with Dettol and a wire scourer they'd still detect it. At a police open day in Adelaide a few years ago they did a demonstration with cannabis detection on a plain white glazed bathroom tile. They rubbed an ordinary bud of weed against the tile, put this liquid on it, and it turned deep red where the bud had contacted the tile. They then put the tile through a *surgical instrument steriliser* for 5 minutes and ran the test again. The test liquid still turned pale pink in the areas where the cannabis had been.

It's amazing how effectively technology can be perverted by megolmaniacs seeking to use it to efficiently control people's life choices...

11. fifi
    Thumb Up

Old hat

bring back the Nokia 6250.

That thing was bombproof.

I liked scaring my friends by dropping it in pints of beer, and lobbing it carelessly across the room :)

12. Neil_
    Thumb Up

Mythbusters...

found that a toilet seat is relatively clean.

1. Wize

@Neil_

"Mythbusters found that a toilet seat is relatively clean"

Obviously it wasn't a pub toilet which usually have puddles of piss on the floor.

Nor a student flat toilet. I remember one in Paisley which out did the toilets in Trainspotting. One of the lads thought about curling one off in there but was worried the splash back would be acidic enough to burn him a new one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like