back to article Samsung N140

The new N130 and N140 netbooks will probably be the last such machines we see from Samsung running the Silverthorne Atom processors as come January it is promising to announce a raft of new machines using the next generation Atom Pine Trail chips. Samsung N140 Samsung's Windows 7 netbook entrant, the N140 Of course we don' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Llyander

But is it worth an upgrade?

I own an NC10 and adore it but it does struggle with playing movies at times and the sound from that mono speaker is pretty weedy, but that aside it does everything I could ask it to do and everything I would realistically expect from a netbook.

All these Samsung models, is it actually worth upgrading to any of them if you already have a perfect good NC10?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

WiFi and linux

Thats strange 30 seconds with google and I found that the driver for the realtek card is already in the .31 kernel and easily installed via ndiswrapper for those running earlier kenels

3. Jerome 0
    FAIL

Same old, same old

Looks great, but they seem to have forgotten to add integrated 3G, or increased screen resolution, or a multitouch screen... in fact, it seems they haven't made any real improvements over the first generation of netbooks. Still, at least it's still at that magic £200 netbook price point. What's that - they want £315 for it? Pass.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bought one as a chrimbo pressie..

..for someone who knows little about pc's. Fired it up to check everything was ok and noticed Win7 was incredibly slow, so bunged Mandriva KDE onto it, problem solved. They haven't had a single question or issue :-)

Other than that, I agree that there's been bugger all development in these things since they first came out.

5. Shades
    Stop

NC10 Mono speaker??

Since when? Mine has two. Although one of them recently packed up... which reminds me, must send it off under warranty before the 19th to get it sorted. If yours is exhibiting mono sound then I suggest you get in touch with Samsung too as the NC10 is most definitely supposed to have stereo sound:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/n-series/NP-NC10-KA02UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec&fullspec=F

Oh, and the NC10 (and its ilk) is perfectly capable of smooth playback of 720p >AND< 1080p video, its all down to the codecs.

6. J 3
    Stop

Yawn...

Hm... Except for the larger HD, this is no better (and in a few cases worse, e.g. CPU and camera) than the Eee 1000HE I picked up for $380 TEN MONTHS ago. What a joke.

On the bright side, at least I am in no way, shape or form tempted to spend money any time soon.

7. James Whale
    Happy

Love my NC10...

...which by the way runs Win7 with similar performance to XP, even with all the Aero bells and whistles turned on, so not sure why the N140 seems to struggle.

Tempted by the better battery life, but baffled as to the webcam downgrade, and it's a shame the nice blue power button on the hinge end is gone. Think I'll be waiting for Samsung to produce a true NC10 replacement...

8. Al Taylor
    Alert

Speakers

Its a fair cop guv. The NC10 does indeed have two 1w stereo speakers rather than one, though the extra power and larger, forward facing speaker grilles of the N140 do still give it an edge in the sound stakes. The N130 definitely only has the the one speaker.

@ J3 - that is why the Eee 1000HE got 90% and an Editor's Choice award.

1. J 3

Yeah...

Definitely.

My point was more on the lines of "if they can't produce something better almost a year later, why isn't the price falling"... It seems to be the opposite, actually?

9. Monkey

Gotta agree...

... with the positive comments about the NC10 and what you can make it capable of with the right software codecs. I've even used it to crunch through a couple of hundred thousand records in a complex Access query and to be honest, it surprised me that it didn't fall on it's ass right away let alone actually complete the job. Slowly, but it did it.

Really made me evaluate exactly what I'm paying for with high end PC's/laptops and what I'm convincing myself i'm using them for. Christ it survived two drops onto a hard surface off of a dinning table with a scratch!

I do agree that Samsung missed a trick not levering more resolution and a 3G slot into this update. Especially as they aren't spec'ing under the XP restrictions and clearly profits have come first with this machine.

But, when my (well, my wife's now, who am I kidding?!), NC10 goes pop the latest Samsung equivalent will be the first thing I'll go for. Be it this or something in five years.

This topic is closed for new posts.