back to article Nexus One web address used to punt smoky jazz

More problems with the branding of Google's "Nexus One" handset were claimed today, as it was highlighted that Mountain View has not secured the relevant web addresses. The firm's first foray into physical retailing was announced at the Googleplex on Tuesday. Today it emerged that Nexusone.com has been owned by Peter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Luc Le Blanc
    Happy

Google your next phone

Google doesn't care about buying all thos domain names: potential buyers will google "nexus one" and hit the right page, whatever it's called.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google... will potentially miss out"

What rubbish. Do consumers looking for info on the "Nexus One" type nexusone.co.uk into their browser then spend the rest of the afternoon reading about smoky jazz? I don't think so. I think they type "nexus one" into Google ... and Google's got them even before the search results come back.

1. Unlimited

direct navigation

Yes, people do still type the name of product/service/fetish/celebrity they are looking for directly into the address bar and add ".com" or their relevant cctld.

Hard for the IT savvy to comprehend, but a lot of people still do it.

3. Jerome 0
    Flame

Not using it?

"He doesn't seem to be using it for anything in particular"

Well if you will link to www.nexusone.com/blank.html, it's hardly surprising you get a blank page. Pop over to www.nexusone.com itself and it directs you to one of a selection of slightly crappy looking sites (apparently via a service called urlsplit), so it's obvious that the owner of the site is making good use of all the bonus traffic flowing his way.

4. ShaggyDoggy

Not a search engine

FFS when will you stop believing that Google is a search engine.

It's an ordered list where who pays most comes nearest the top.

Of course Google won't need to pay themselves, they can just "cream off" searches for their own products at the first level.

Doh

5. DZ-Jay

Re: Google your next phone

@Luc Le Blanc

@AC:

Sure, that seems rather obvious. But wouldn't that put Mr. Villanueva and Sion at a competitive disadvantage, especially if they pay for AdSense? Stealing traffic for themselves when there are legitimate results that would have matched perhaps at a higher rank may give fuel to conspiracy theorists and the anti-trust police.

-dZ.

1. J 3
      Big Brother

Ah...

But who can prove Google is cheating? Do you know the code for the PageRank system? Nor do I... I've read somewhere around here that AdSense is apparently quite opaque in its workings too, so no help there either.

2. Andy ORourke
      Coffee/keyboard

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

STOP, You forgot to include the joke icon, You owe me one keyboard & monitor :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Google is evil!

Let's face it Google is evil and the majority will never realize.

Let's start a vigil against Google outside Belgrave House.

I will bring the tent if you bring the placards.

Suggestions:

"Google Is Evil"

"KILL DATA OVERLORDS"

"Careful Now"

"Down With This Sort Of Thing"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Methinks these gentlemen might wish to start hosting some ads

ideally from Google. Clickfraud me up, baby!

8. Lost in a maze of twisty messages, all alike.

G^HFoolish mortals

nexusone.google, as eny fule can predict.

9. Wize
    Grenade

"he might consider ... turning off the smoky jazz."

Which can only be a good thing.

10. Owen Carter
    Dead Vulture

Google rips off dick!

Full Disclosure: I nicked the above from /. here:

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1500796&cid=30681238

The mere possibility of such a headline in El Reg should have ensured the 'he stole our imaginary property' cries from PKDicks daughter got a whole story to itself..

11. Sam Therapy
    Happy

I still think Phoogle is a better name.

n/t

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like