back to article Hadopi three strikes law hits another hurdle

The controversial French 'three strikes' law has hit yet another delay - it has failed to win approval from the French data protection agency. The Commission nationale de l’informatique et des libertés (CNIL), which works to protect French citizens from technology which may breach their rights to privacy and personal and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Any law

which accuses, tries, convicts and punishes a citizen without ever going near a court and all on the say-so of a private company is patently wrong.

2. irish donkey
    FAIL

Never mind the privacy

We want to open season on Pirates

Could Pirates have a case for discrimation in the Court of Human rights. Oh that's right they all ready side stepped that one.

As long as big business keeps making money that's the important thing.

Bono is struggling......

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Bono indeed...

He buys a first class airline ticket to fly his hat to his new gig (look it up) when he forgets it. Keep towing that poor-man musician and environmental crusader line Bono...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 strikes and you're out Hollywood

Look, you're proposing to punish the bill PAYER of an ISP connection when a USER of that connection has been ACCUSED 3 times.

* 3 times because 3 is a magic number after which allegations become facts.

* And the bill PAYER because they have influence over the Internet USER somehow.

Now look, it's even simpler than that, why not just ban any movie studios from making any more copyright complaints after they make 3 false claims. 3 because 3 is a magic number after which allegations become facts, and because if it's fair to ban people from the net for 3 minor infractions, then its fair to ban studios from copyright protection for 3 minor infractions.

Perhaps you disagree, but then I accuse you of being wrong, I accuse you of being wrong, I accuse you of being wrong.

1. Graham Marsden

Lewis Carrol got there first...

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:

What i tell you three times is true."

- The Hunting of the Snark

4. g e
    Stop

Yum yum

Any French politicians had any Grand Dejeuner avec Monsieur Geffen?

Bet they have.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

...failed to win approval from the data protection agency...

You say that like its a probleme ;)

As Nixon said: "...when the President does it, that means it's *not* illegal".

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

How long to the next French election.

Only this sounds like one of those made, scorched earth pliices so beloved of M. Broon en Engleterre.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

couldn't happen to a nicer law

wait a mo'

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't the French Like a Good Revolution?

it is in the genes. Roll out Madam Guillotine, knitting needles at the ready.

9. heyrick Silver badge
    Stop

There are so many holes...

What, are we magicians? Mind-readers? Or just stupid enough to put up with this shit?

We can Google for a song, find a site, download the MP3. Legal or not?

MySpace has a fairly new music section where we can make playlists of all sorts of songs. Legal or not?

Pop videos are on YouTube. Legal or not?

How about those on YouTube that appear to come from a profile which appears to be the real SonyBMG? Legal or not?

Last.fm. Legal or not?

My Livebox came in a black box which says on the front "téléchargez de la musique en toute légalité". NOTE there is *no* little star or dagger referring you to paragraphs of tiny print, or something saying "only from...". Therefore I have a Livebox and it says on the box that with my Livebox I can download music completely legally. Legal or not?

While peer-to-peer exists as a classic way of passing music around, there are many ways to download pretty much anything using nothing more than a basic web browser. Some of this stuff is provided unlawfully and some is provided by the copyright holders or those who have licenced it for the purpose. I bet to a lot of end-users the two will look alike. Rarely does one scream "THIS IS LEGAL" or "THIS IS NOT LEGAL". So before entering into this ridiculous three-strikes nonsense, I'd like to know from the morass available, how the hell are we supposed to tell the difference?

[posting from France, using a Livebox, with which evidently I can download all the music I want without breaking any laws--it says so on the box...]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like