back to article Apple to splurge $275m on mobile ad broker

Apple is reportedly about to buy ad broker Quattro Wireless for $275m - a third of what Google hopes the regulator will let it pay for competing service AdMob. The details come from All Things Digital, which reports that an announcement could come later today on Apple's coughing up for the ad broker. The deal will include the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. StooMonster

Google and Apple's strategies converge

Apple, hardware company moves into advertising: bought a wireless ad broker (Quattro Wireless) to support their phone, soon to be announced tablet and cloud services.

Google, advertising company moves into hardware: attempts to buys a wireless ad broker (AdMob) to support their cloud services and soon to be announced phone and tablet.

Microsoft sit on the sidelines of the emergent mobile internet and cries like a fat girl in the corner at a party.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft strategies

"Microsoft sit on the sidelines of the emergent mobile internet and cries like a fat girl in the corner at a party."

This is sort of what I was thinking... (OK I did not think of the party or the fat girl.) This reminds me of the 'free' TV model that is slowly dying in the US. Might work for a while.

Where is Microsoft - or for that matter Dell or Yahoo. Seems Apple is in a second death race (having lost the first to Microsoft). I wonder who will win this time.

2. Jay Jaffa
    Jobs Halo

In-game Advertising Engine

This makes a lot of sense. The clear model here has to be providing an off-the-shelf in-game ads api for the iPhone/iPod. It will make it simple for developers to integrate an Ads framework a likely they'll get a share of the click-thru revenue.

Smart thinking (if I'm right - which would be unusual)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

And who, pray tell...

... will pay for download time.

The user, the telco, the advertiser?

When connection times are measured in minutes I hope the technology does not eat into my paid for time on a mobile device.

4. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

Repeat after me...

"Dumb" phones are _your_friend_.

Books printed on paper are _your_friend_.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Eeek, my tiny brain hurts..

Google or Apple? Google's new shiny touch screen phone and Apple's new ad service...

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

6. Identity
    Pirate

Hmmph!

Read Isaac Asimov's story "Buy Jupiter" for a sense of where this is going to lead...

7. Dave Murray
    Thumb Down

Dear Apple & Google...

I do not want adverts in the middle of whatever I'm doing on my phone, while reading a book or during any part of my daily life if I can help it. I only put up with them on the TV coz I can change channel and see if there's anything less shite on elsewhere. Sadly there usually isn't.

8. peter ashworth
    WTF?

who the hell wants advertising?

this is a backwards step, and a BIG mistake

one of the things that has caused the TV experience to be so crap (apart from the atrocious programmes that is) is the incessant ad breaks, which become increasingly more frequent and longer

i rarely watch LIVE tv anymore, it is more chilled to tape and watch it later when the ads can be removed

to flood the internet with ads whilst the medium is still struggling with speeds, download limits and badly designed pages too full of irrelevant links is asking for trouble

a BAD MOVE Apple, trying the Google angle on for size is a DUMB MOVE

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like