back to article In-depth probe fails to hit the G-spot

UK researchers have concluded that the legendary G-spot - the earth-moving button allegedly sited in the front wall of the vagina - "may be a figment of women's imagination, encouraged by magazines and sex therapists". That's according to a King's College London team who probed 1,800 women for the benefit of readers of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Imaginary?

Damnit, all that invested time looking for it..

Still, I see no reason to stop now.

Paris, Oh do you really need me to explain?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It's one thing looking for hers.

It's completely another when she goes looking for yours!

Thumbs up for this story!

3. Phil 54

I knew it!

although I did once date a squirter... am i allowed to say that?

1. Big-nosed Pengie
      Happy

No,

You're not.

4. Alien Doctor
    Thumb Up

So sorry

What's the difference between a golf ball and a g-spot?

Men will always search for a golf ball.

Thumb? Well...

5. Danny 2

Up the fabled North West Passage

Nonsense, I've found three of them right where they're meant to be. In one girlfriend in particular it started off as a tiny spot and grew with stimulation to be a pronounced horn a few millimetres high. Great for her, and great for me on those occassions sex was just another tedious chore like emptying the buckets or doing the dishes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking for a new job..

"discounted the experiences of lesbian or bisexual women and failed to consider the effects of having different sexual partners with different love-making techniques".

So remove the people most likely to know where it is and how to stimulate it. Good science that... where to I apply to validate the results?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly.

By just asking heterosexual women "Have you got a g-spot?" all they're doing is collating details of sexually unsatisfied straight women, not whether the g-spot exists.

As a lesbian, and a scientific one at that, I can say that my personal studies show that either every woman I've er... 'experimented on' either has a tumour about an inch and a half into their vagina, or that the ridged, firm spot that feels like a peach stone is a g-spot. Science backs me up too, saying that the tissue is analogous to prostatic tissue in men, and is partly comprised of a spongy body known as the Skene's Gland. That's what's responsible for 'squirting', female ejaculation through the paraurethral ducts. It's been seen on video and scans and found during dissection. Oh and witnessed many times in my 'lab'.

Asking people =/= physical research.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Quality answer..

"either has a tumour about an inch and a half into their vagina, or that the ridged, firm spot that feels like a peach stone is a g-spot"

Hahaha, LOL - I couldn't have said it better. The late Dr Petruska Clarkson (Phd etc etc) even had a demo model constructed to teach people where it was and how it felt, and there have been many students at her place in Harley Street who went on to enthusiastically demystify the myth, to great delight of all.

It you're going to research a touchy subject (pun intended), do it right. Or stay off it :-)

2. Hollerith 1

I second that expert opinion

As a lesbian myself, I had to laugh. Most straight women I've encountered think they have no G spot because they've never had great sex. Well, before me, anyway {ahem}.

A bit of intelligent thinking will make anyone realise that the mass of nerve endings in the area are not skin-deep, but connected from outside to the inside (if I may be vague for censorship reasons). The whole area is one big mass of nerves, which is why, gentlemen, gay men have great sex. The nerves towards the front, though the same in both sexes, are arranged differently: chaps have them spread out over their giblets, so to speak, while women have them closely packed, like a grenade.

3. Trixr
        Go

Same experience, similar result

I wouldn't say -all- the women I've conducted experiments with have had discernable G-spots, but certainly the majority. It does become more prominent with arousal, and while I don't think it generates orgasms in itself, it certainly -enhances- them.

How do these "scientists" explain female ejaculation if it's a figment of the imagination? Because experiments with my lab subjects have confirmed that 100% of squirters have G-spots that have been stimulated to achieve the aforementioned result.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Interesting....

...two previous partners of mine also claimed that the G-spot didn't exist, or that they'd not found it.

I'm pleased (and slightly smug) to say that their opinion has changed...

AC to avoid accusations of sexual bragging!

Grenade for explosive connotations, not the 'suck on this' tag.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

and our survey said...

Is this the "scientific study" that just gave out some questionares?

They would have done better to just read up on Dr. Graffenberg, or look into some of the actual scientific anatomical and MRI studies that have been done.

Here is a similar study to the article:

I asked around my office, and there is no such thing as the clitoris. I also checked and women do not have orgasms (some said yes, but not a _statistically significant_ sample).

Should I publish the results? Will a daily broadsheet publish it?

9. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Joke

who cares?

see the icon

10. GreyCells

Sounds like religion to me

"It is rather irresponsible to claim the existence of an entity that has never been proven and pressurise women and men too."

Isn't that a job for the church?

11. Servant of server servants
    Paris Hilton

G?

"It's ninety percent between the ears and ten percent between the legs."

-Xaviera Hollander

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your eardrums?

EOM

12. Jonathon Green

Playmobil or it didn't happen.

"...a King's College London team who probed 1,800 women..."

The things some people will do in the name of science continue to amaze me...

--

JG

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Found it on google maps!

37-43 Rutland Street, Leicester LE1 1RE

I'll get my coat, it's the dirty mac with the gimp mask in the pocket.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Science Fail

Doesn't the experiment just suggest that, IF there is a G-spet, it is not genetically determined? Or even that ability to know about the existence, and if so, location of one's G-spot is not genetically determined? I think a bit of overclaim is going on here - more publicity grab than proper science.

15. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Researchers fail to find G spot in 1800 women

Just an alternative headline.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So just like the clitoris then.

As easy to find.

17. Average Man
    Thumb Down

G-Spot

Who were their subjects? G-spots exist, just not in every woman. Whether it's in their head or a physical place is I guess what the report set out to establish, but from where I'm kneeling, it's REAL!

18. Stevie

Bah!

Bypassing the issue of whether the anatomical feature in question (netnanny in between me and El Reg forbids naming it) exists and functions as claimed if it does, it is irrational to postulate its presence/absence on the basis of twindom. Do identical twins share fingerprints?

I'll save you the trip to Wikipedia: They do not. Therefore any statement about genetically-derived organ build predicated on the fact of twin-ness is as suspect as this so-called *-****.

19. Kevin Reader
    Paris Hilton

Twins test is invalid where different tools used...

It would seem obvious - ever since this story was first *released* - that the ONLY reliable information obtained from this study is:

if Twin A manages to locate a partner who can find her "G" there is no guarantee at all that Twin B will have the same luck. (Unless they find a common partner). Leading to sibling rivalry of the worst sort. Twins provide an ideal test only when they are exposed to the same experimental *equipment*.

Hey maybe that's where the phrase "double blind test" really comes from.

Paris - because anyone can know where to find...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

UCL had one

A few years back, UCL had the G-Spot - it was the second floor bar, thusly named as one person in the appropriate naming committee had stated that no bugger could find it..

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Solved: these dolts don't know about foreplay..

Any reasonably competent male knows that it takes arousal before most G-spots can be located, (and when you've found it once there is no way in hell you'll be allowed to forget it again by its owner, trust me on this).

I think it's thus safe to conclude that the non-esteemed members of this troupe have mainly used the Mrs Doubtfire method of foreplay ("Brace yourself"). Alternatively, I would be quite interested to find out why they ignored simple anatomical evidence..

22. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This is stupid, of course there's such a thing.

You only need to see the reaction that it causes. It's not some kind of organ or anything, it's just the area on the inside upper wall of the vagina that is directly underneath where the clit is lying on the surface above, which is a very well-suited location to apply a bit of gentle stimulation because the intervening layer of flesh makes the stimulation a bit more indirect and less harsh than the direct approach us blokes often take from the outside. Sometimes the lining of the vagina feels a bit rough and/or raised in that area, sometimes not, but any woman who has a clitoris, has the option of stimulating it indirectly from inside through the intervening fatty tissue layers. (And is highly recommended to try it if they haven't already done so.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think...

... that with the exception of learned lesbians and some dedicated blokes, most people still think that the clitoris is nothing more than the little nubby glans visible under it's hood. A proper, in-depth demonstration of the length of the crurae, or legs, of the clit, is something that ensures most lasses never, ever forget what they've learned about that particular part of their anatomy. Gentle pressure from something like a fingertip or tongue along the length of those 'legs' is a lesson you can take to the bank.

Try it lads, gently and slowly back and forth. You'll be up to your ears in steak and new PS3 games before you know it.

The Scientific Lesbian has spoken!

23. Falanx
    Flame

A finger of fudge is all you.. hang on. Am I doing this right?

Wow, was I beaten. I'ma have to stop returning to work straight after lunch whether or not I was about to first post and rip the reporting here a new one...

Let me get this straight - this article is based on the first half of a report in New Scientist from last *year* - whoops, two years ago now - the entirety of which is smackdowned by the second half of the same report in which some actual science happens, yet it's deemed not only newsworthy, but also implied as accurate research? Lesta, please.

It's there, ladies. You don't need man who's entire 'research' history is essentially an attempt to soothe his injured pride at being unable to satisfy women to tell you otherwise. Those of you who've been lucky enough to locate it, well, you're either endowed with a prominent mass of hemiprostatic tissue, or a skilled partner, or both. Those who haven't, well you still have a joy button :-) (my girlfriend is reading this over my shoulder and told me I should have written 'well, sad face', but she's cruel and unusual, or at least elfin.)

Glad to see that the UK medical fraternity is still flying the flag for a level of incompetence unseen outside of the fourteenth century.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smooth move..

Sounds like they haven't thought of the consequences here, would you put your name to a published research paper that told the world you couldn't find the G-Spot?

25. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Joke

I think ..

.. this is one of the first deeper instances of GPS addiction..

26. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I've known...

... about the existence of the G-Spot for many years now. I can honestly say that even in relationships (lasting up to 4 years), it's difficult to 'activate' on a regular basis. I can only guess that many of the complexities that make women such enigmatic creatures also make the hunt for the GSpot extraordinarily difficult. :) That just makes it that much more special when it happens.

27. VulcanV5
    Boffin

Too little, too late.

The G Spot was always a particularly elusive feature deep within the OS so it's no surprise that a team of inexperienced researchers was unable to find it. This was an exercise in futility anyway: with the release of Windows 7, it has been deleted entirely.

28. Coyote
    Coat

Oh really?

Then please explain to me why I have to get a mop and bucket when I have hit that spot on some women... Not that I'm complaining.

Mine's the one with the Rabbit in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.