back to article Texas cops cuff 176 at illegal cockfight

Texas cops arrested 176 people on Saturday at an illegal cockfight around 50 miles northwest of Fort Worth, the Dallas Morning News reports. Police backed by a helicopter swooped on the property of Roy Dale Saxton, 46, who allegedly charged $20 a head for admission to the event in Poolville. As well as the arrests, around a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Ramsay
    IT Angle

I'm guessing...

that this made it into the Reg purely because it allows you to use the word "cock" as many times as possible?

2. richard 69
    IT Angle

sad fuckers

can't they get a proper hobby? surely there's other things to do rather than watch 2 cocks hack each other up? pathetic, along with the dog and badger fighters, christ i thought it was the 21st century...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cockfighter Fight

I'd pay money to see that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

IT Angle?

DTP to produce the underground magazine? Database for the criminal record?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm....

Texas cops cuff 176 at illegal cockfight

100 cocks taken to shelter

So we are to assume that 76 of the people at the fight were female?

6. Niall 1

One was wanted for murder

wow they really know how to crack down on animal cruelty. On a side note, I once considered spending $300 to enter a bird.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No evidence of any foul play involved?

There, i said it, now we've got this out the system , can we have a sensible conversation please.

8. Stgeli

@Richard 69

21st Century?

When PR Dave and his chums get into power later this year we'll drift back to the 16th Century as he re-legalises fox hunting and hare coursing. Neither of which are any less despicable than cock-fighting.

1. Jimmy Floyd
      Flame

Errr.....

Apart from the gambling angle, the intentional cruelty, the inclusion of weapons and the notion that the birds, unlike foxes, aren't dangerous vermin that need to be controlled? You've made a poor comparison there.

As it happens, I have very little opinion on the rights and wrongs of fox-hunting. My only issue is that the entire NuLabour-lead campaign was based on flawed urbanite ideas (what, exactly, does Ken Livingstone know about the countryside?), mis-information (see above comment) and class warfare ("how dare rich people make vermin control fun?!").

Regrettably, the welfare either of the fox or the wider countryside was rarely the focus of debate.

9. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

I dont know about you...

but if i was wanted for murder then i probably wouldnt be hanging around in venues where illegal events were taking place.

But i guess that sort of thinking might be why im not wanted for murder...

10. ph3d
    Coffee/keyboard

Wrong Feed :D

no not bird feed :P this story is appearing in my rss register security feed lads.

11. Alex King
    Coat

Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler...

... assisted by deputies Bob Poultry and Billy McChickens

Mine's the one with the rubber chicken in the pocket.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the time in my Primary school.....

when I wrote,at age 8 I think, "yesterday I had 26 pricks" , simply because I was referring to allergy testing on my arm, LOL. The teacher must have had a good laugh at that.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Robert Ramsay

Sounds like a very reasonable assumption, and I for one welcome the opportunity to titter once again at the word cockfight like I did when a schoolboy, although this time without the bollocking that followed.

14. DrewHew
    WTF?

Sheriff Larry "Fowler"????

Are you kidding me???

Is the irony lost on everyone else?

15. yoinkster
    Thumb Down

good way to make money

so he was fined 300 bucks from his take of around 176 * 20 bucks = 3520 bucks.

sounds like a cracking way to make money to me.

16. James O'Brien
    WTF?

Umm hold on a second here

"Saxton has a long criminal record for "burglary, vehicle theft and forgery" and he's currently on parole until 2015 for previous convictions."

Way i understand it, is when someone is on Parole they are not to have any contact with police or do anything that would involve getting charged because if they do they go back to the slammer. So why the hell was this guy able to pay a fine and get out of jail?

/nice by-line though Lester

17. Peter 8
    Thumb Down

Budget cut needed

When I read stuff like this, it makes me think that the police department in question needs a budget cut.

Really... a cock fight???? There aren't bigger problems for them to tackle? Like perhaps the 45,000 people who die in auto collisions in the US alone every year?

18. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

I have not even read the story....

...'cus i'm not interested in it. Good old Reg, giving us the cock news though!

Can we have an icon for the comments like the "IT?" one except it's a picture of a willy and a question mark, for use in tech stories that lack a cock angle, please?

Paris ;o) *sniggers* cock

19. alien anthropologist
    FAIL

@Peter 8

Bollocks! It is exactly that attitude of yours that is part of the crime problem - as some crimes in your view are acceptable and others not.

You also seem ignorant about policing. In many parts of the world, police do not enforce traffic laws - that is done by the traffic cops.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like