back to article Arise, Sir Peter of Middle Earth

Lord of the Rings maker Peter Jackson has been knighted in his native New Zealand, the BBC reports. The honour comes as the country reinstates knighthoods following their abolition back in 2000. Sir Peter, already made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit back in 2002, has "continued to excel in and significantly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Funny that

I'll agree that Patrick Stewart is a prolific actor. For most he's only going to be known as Captain Jean Luc Pickard but he is also a renowned shakesperean actor. Whether he really merits a knighthood is very much open to debate.

On the other hand, he is a well known friend of Gordon Brown's (one of the last of the very few). I heard weeks ago that "Sir Patrick" was a done deal.

2. Ad Fundum
    FAIL

Hmmm

Poncing around with blokes in make-up; driving a car round in a circle; practicing the principles of CYA while blokes under you shoot innocent Brazillians - seems to me it's more difficult NOT to get nominated for some gong or other. Think I'll save up and buy one. What's the going rate for donations to secure a knighthood now?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

A knighthood for making one film (or three, depending on how you count it)? That's pretty generous.

1. Red Bren
      Happy

He's done more than LOTR

You obviously missed his seminal work, "Braindead", which on its own merited an honour!

1. Paul 8
        Thumb Up

You missed the original

"Bad Taste"

Fantastically bad and made for $2.90 (£1.50).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right.....

So this just shows how little value these "honours" represent.

Do your job in a mediocre way in the public sector or become relatively famous in a thesp-related role and you're guaranteed some kind of Knight of the Public Convenience "honour"

5. Dungeekin
    Happy

Lord of the Rings Receives Knighthood

The Lord of the Rings has received a Knighthood in the New Years' Honours List, it was reported today.

Sauron, 1432, was honoured for his 'contribution to multiculturalism' following his groundbreaking campaign to join together the disparate races in Middle Earth under a single unity government. His environmental work to reintroduce the previously-extinct Orc back to the Hobbiton region of The Shire.

Mr Sauron's publicist, S Aruman of Wizard PR, said, "the Dark Lord Sauron is delighted by the knighthood, and disappointed that he will not be there in corporeal form to accept the honour. He is gratified that his unending campaign to bring unity Government to Middle Earth has been recognised - in all honesty, he was hoping for some sort of honour this year, he's had his Eye on it for some time now."

Also honoured in this year's list were aging rockers Status Quo, who both received the OBE with 12 bars, and Star Trek actor Patrick Stewart, who received a Knighthood. When asked how he would like to be addressed in future, the former Star Trek actor said, "Make it Sir".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

"he's had his Eye on it for some time now..."

Pure class, all the way.

6. Slick Rick
    WTF?

Status Quo

No mention of Britain's Status Quo, shame on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because

most music lovers are trying to forget that!

Amazing, just about manage 3 chords and you get a shiny little mantlepiece decoration.....

7. J.Wild
    Thumb Up

Arise!

And the One that can pull Excaliber from this barbecue shall be King!

On a serious note, good for Peter Jackson!

8. Saucerhead Tharpe
    Thumb Up

Mr. Jackson, sorry Sir Peter, has done more than the trilogy

He has not only made other films, he has created jobs, an industry, the biggest server farm in the Southern Hemisphere and other film makers in NZ have been given a start because of him and his colleagues.

The Trilogy also aided NZ income through tourism

That is why he got the gong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah but

They were all *terrible* movies.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use the sword Peter!

I had the misfortune to watch much of PJ's King Kong a couple of weeks ago. Whilst technically and visually a stunning achievement, it's just WAY TOO F-ING LONG! Someone really - like REALLY - needs to teach the guy about cutting material from his movies.

So Pete, please do us all a favour and use your shiny new knightly sword to slash the forthcoming Hobbit flick(s) into a sensible shape, eh??

10. John Hughes
    Thumb Up

Forget LoTR and KK, watch PJ's real films

Braindead, the one with the sheep and Meet the Feebles.

They almost make up for the crap that followed.

1. MichaelBirks

Pete makes films till the money runs out.

(or even after, according to rumours about Kong)

Bad Taste, Braindead (in the rebel colonies, 'Dead Alive'), Meet the Feebles, The Frighteners were Pete's Pre-Rings masterpieces.

'The One with the Sheep'? I think you are thinking of 2007's "Black Sheep"? That was Jonathan King, not Pete. On the other hand, there was a big Weta involvement, so, close enough, I suppose.

11. Joe User

Here's another candidate

Who's next? Rowan Atkinson? ("Arise, Sir Edmund!")

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Why not?

as long as they give Baldrick one to.*'

*For services to cunning plans.

12. John Savard

Another Honor for Patrick Stewart

I think it would be very nice if, in addition to the knighthood he has received from Her Majesty, the BBC were to award Patrick Stewart an honorary doctorate.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

He's not really a Kiwi

His parents were British born and migrated to NZ. He's more English than the Royal Family.

14. CADmonkey
    Alien

PJ's firstest and bestest fillum...

...was of course Bad Taste. One of my favourite movies of all time, and I don't even like Horror/Spatter films.

Chaotic, amatuerish, gross....oh yes.

but a real labour of love, evident in every frame. Even my mum laughed when Derek was trying to keep bits of his brain from falling out!

The chase scene with the Morris Minor is worth a knighthood on it's own.

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Trinkets for the lambs

Old Liz sure knows how to throw a few baubles to the masses eh?

16. pctechxp
    Happy

Knight of the Public Convenience

Surely George Michael would be the only candidate for that one?

17. Phil 57
    Alien

Kate Winslet

You are all forgetting PJ's "Heavenly Creatures" which launched Kate Winslet's career.

Also "District 9" was produced by PJ, consequently all the CGI (including every single alien in the movie, except those dead ones on the operating table) was created in Wellington, NZ.

As for the claims of LoTR being rubbish - even if you overlook the amazing technical feat of three movies being shot all at the same time and the pioneering CGI techniques (Gollum, massive) that made George Lucas look like the chump he is, there was still good merit in those movies. What's with all the haters? All your new year cheer dissipated already?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Eh?

What's the *technical* feat of making three films back to back? Surely it's far easier than making them individually since all the extras, costumes, sets, and indeed stars are there for the whole shoot rather than having to be reassembled each time? It may be a logistical feat, but it isn't a technical one and it isn't one that Jackson had any part in.

As to why the LotR hate: he made a mess of it. He missed out some of the best bits and put in absolutely rubbish bits of his own devising. The first film was embarrassingly bad and the second one just plain poor; I never bothered with the third one but I'm sure it was as crap as the first two.

CGI is irrelevant if the movie's no good. For that matter, the technology for Gollum was in use by Rory Bremner years before LotR; it was just a matter of waiting for graphics chips to catch up to cinema resolutions. Last time I looked, Jackson wasn't a chip designer (any more than he's a film director).

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meet the Feebles is really his opus...

Any film where they don't bother with namby-pamby blanks, but use live rounds in an assault rifle on a set because the ammunition was cheaper/more readily available really sets the pace. No chance for a 2nd take when you're really shooting the movie...

19. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

both deserving

messers stewart and jackson both very deserving imho LOTR as far as im concerned was a monumental achievment in fact i just finished off watching the special features on the extended dvd trilogy the graft everyone put in to complete the work was epic.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The one with the sheep in it is "Bad Taste"

I think they were referring to the scene when a sheep is blown up by an RPG launcher. Google "Bad taste b-movies" and you should find a site that will stream it for free.

I watched Brain Dead (or "Dead Alive") during its original theatrical release in NZ and by 30 mins in, the two women who had accompanied me were in the theatre toilets throwing up (when the old lady starts eating her ear after it dropped into the custard was what did for them in the end).

Full credit to pete jackson, he could have buggered off to LA and made squillions, but he is spreading the wealth (both money and knowledge) in NZ instead, and creating an infrastructure. He is also collecting real WWII planes and keeping them in a hanger in Blenheim which gives him more combat power that the current NZ Air Force.

If you want to complain about high awards for seemingly short term effort, start taking Kelly Holmes and Chris Hoy to task before have a pop at the antipodeans! Steve Redgrave did it 4 times before he got his.

This topic is closed for new posts.