back to article Welsh council workers turfed out over eBay addiction

Three Welsh council workers have lost their jobs after spending too long on eBay when they should have been working. One worker at Neath Port Talbot council were sacked and another two quit after council bosses found the group spent up to two hours a day on the online auction site. The council reportedly had security software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chad H.

No, I dont think thats the reason

The REAL reason they got fired is because they outbid their manages on some worthless rubbish the manager wanted.

Isnt that what managers do?

2. Paul

Deja Vu

I'm sure this happened in BOFH

1. Get caught eBaying at work

2. Get fired

3. ???

4. Profit!

3. Danger Mouse

I Wonder

I wonder how many warnings they got befor getting fired?, you still have to give warnings right?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extraordinarily, their union rep said...

...(and this is true, if today's Today programme is to be believed) that he/she blamed the managers, for exposing the employees to temptation by permitting internet access...

5. Simon Elavy

Next we will hear..

Yes, next we will hear that people will be sacked for playing online poker while at work!

I waited a customs checkpoint in Romania for 20 minutes while the customs officer completed a game of Freecell on her computer. I kid you not!

6. Paul Thomas

No they don't need written warnings if.......

what they were doing was classed as gross misconduct, which in this case should be right and proper. I do not pay council tax for some slack assed council worker to bid for shell suites on Ebay.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, the next time...

I feel the urge to stab an incompetent member of IT staff in the eye at a client's site, I can claim it was my employer's fault for letting me have access to screwdrivers.... Interesting.

8. the Jim bloke

Council workers

The classic image of council workers, is a bunch of them standing around on the side of the road, leaning on shovels, while the new guy casually pokes at the ground.

This article makes me think it was actually council STAFF offending, and not the 'workers' .

We are at risk of losing a cultural icon, if we allow this imprecision of terminology to continue.

9. Richard Freeman

Where else are they meant to get their equipment from?

Maybe they just wanted a new Shovel, Grader or D9 Bulldozer or something.

We would be stuffed If I was not allowed to browse Ebay at work.... Where do you think our test equipment comes from?

- The joys of the Telco Industry in Australia.... ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.