back to article Nokia sets date for netbook UK debut

Want to be assured of getting your mitts on Nokia's Windows 7 netbook, the Booklet 3G? The Finnish phone giant is now taking advance orders for the pricey product, which, it says, will ship in January. Designed to be sold by network operators and retailers, all of whom will subsidise the hardware on the back of monthly 3G data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RegReaderInLancs
    FAIL

Who do they think they are?

At £649 a pop they don't seriously think they'll have any impact on the market, do they?

Maybe they'll sell a handful of the devices. There's no way they'll sell in any volume at that ridiculous price.

2. Hermes Conran
    Thumb Down

I'd wait till February

They'll be knocking them out for half price!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wot no ION? FAIL!

IMHO the netbook form factor with Nvidia ION is a winner & the Samsung, Asus & Lenovo Atom-ION offerings would leave you with a lot of change from £649.

What is Nokia smoking on this one?

Can't even see how getting it on the never-never with "mobile broadband" would add up to worth it.

Fail, FAil, FAIl, FAIL!

4. Andus McCoatover
    FAIL

Myst-all-Chucking-Frighty!!!

A couple of months back, I thought they'd shot themselves seriously in the foot with an out-of-the-hat price of £500.

£650, minus half a loaf of bread? This buggers it. Pity. Looked really good.

What the hell is happening? Is someone trying to sabotage the company?

If they sell more than a couple of thousand, I'll be staggered. Even worse will be their after-sales costs, because the prats who buy this won't know how to use it and will be 'phoning the helpline every 5 minutes.

Unless that's the business model, and they stick the helpline on a premium rate, Ryanair-style. Ahhh, it's starting to get clearer...

5. slooth
    Coat

£649??????

I want what these guys are smoking for Christmas please.

Mine is the one with weed seeds in the pocket

6. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

what moron dreamed this up?

I'd give them £190 for it with suse 11.2 or ubuntu, but £649? You can buy a computer for that!

7. A B 3
    WTF?

GPS?

What is the point of GPS on this thing? Are you suppose to stop every kilometre and pull the thing out?

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Note whose Nokia main customers for this are.

They are the *networks*

The aim is the iPhone crowd getting it on a contract. I'm not sure that Nokia is quite iconic enough (Who is Steve Jobs Finnish counterpart? and can you pronouce their name properly?)

to get many outside that to get it anyway.

BTW Is'nt Magnesium the new aluminium.

9. Geoff Mackenzie

I'll pay £300 quite happily

with Ubuntu's Netbook Remix. Actually any Linux distro is fine, I can always drop UNR on it myself.

Overpriced and the wrong OS. Shame really, it looks cute.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like