back to article Broadcom chip promises 20Mp, 1080p mobile devices

Broadcom has hinted that 20Mp cameraphones able to record 1080p video could be available by 2011, following the release of its latest multimedia processor. The BCM2763 VideoCore IV multimedia processor for mobile devices was developed using 40 nanometer CMOS process technology, Broadcom said. This means it boasts a smaller …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. D@v3

iPhone HD anyone?

june / july 2011

you heard it here first

1. Adam T

Unlikely

Because Apple have shown real interest in the value of high MP cameras.

Those chips will come at a premium. I doubt Apple will be interested in anything that doesn't give them more money back than they put in.

2. jackharrer
    Thumb Down

Cool

I always wanted 20MP in my mobile... NOT!

What's the point of creating files so terribly big, if sensors and optics don't match it? In a mobile package everything over 5MP is an overkill.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Which will be totally pointless...

because the devices will still be fitted with some terrible pinhole lens made out of cheap plastic with hideous colour aberration and poor focus - probably with a stigmatism too...

Garbage in (lens) garbage out (picture/video).

1. Brian 6
      Stop

@Chris Morley

Not pointless at all. The portable devices need not be mobile phones. Maybe just smaller lighter camcorders. Anyway there is no need for a mobile phone to have a crap lens. Some camera phone lenses area lot better than u give them credit for. Anyway u are mixing up processors and sensors. So do some research them maybe u will be able to make a sensible comment.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    WTF?

20Mp cameras and 1G pixel displays...

To be honest what will be the point of a 20MP sensor in a camera? If the phone is not the size of a real house brick, the pixels on the sensor would be so small that the noise would be higher than the image, and the resolution of the lens would be 10x less than the resolution of the sensor.

Apple fanbois look away now though:

So no use in an apple phone, since it could process pixels from a camera equivalent to 20 times the resolution of the lens used, and could proces pixels equivalent to about 50 iPhone displays!!

5. Nexox Enigma

A gigapixel??

Capacity for a gigapixel of display seems slightly damned insane. I have some serious monitors, and I still eek out just over 6.5 megapixels on my desk. Not sure what I'd do with a gigapixel of display on something intended to fit in my pocket... Probably need to carry a pretty nice magnifying glass in another pocket...

6. Richard Cartledge

WTF?

I'd rather see a breakthrough in optics that takes advantage of anything over 4MP. Instead we get huge files of aberrations, haziness, flare and noise in low light. As each pickup on the CMOS will be smaller, we will probably see more noise in lower light. Also, CMOS video is like jelly whereas CCD video is not (but suffers white bands on pointing at bright lights)

7. Lance 3

@D@v3

Probably, since Apple is behind by about two to three years. You can get HD phones today; add two years and then Apple will have it. It was the same with 3G, GPS, LED Flash, radio, MMS and the list goes on and on.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: gigapixel

I think they meant to say, 1 gigapixel per second. It's a measure of 3D rendering performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like