back to article Acer's first 'Pine Trail' netbook: details emerge

Acer's first netbook based on Intel's next-gen Atom processor has peered out of the shadows. The manufacturer has yet to announce the Aspire One 532h, but the machine has been added to the company's support site, albeit with nothing more than a single Bios update, dated 8 December 2009, to show for itself. Googling the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

D'oh!

Bugger. Just ordered a 751... Sod's law. Ah well, perhaps I'll trade up in a few months.

2. Quirkafleeg
    Gates Horns

What? Not GNU/Linux?

Why should I pay for Windows when I know that, were I planning to buy one, I'd be installing Debian testing on it anyway?

1. Penti

Money

Maybe because there's no consumer Linux? The world isn't free from patents and producing a consumer Linux would cost more then simply license a Windows version for them. Canonicals endeavors have failed and they aren't free for a bit. They license proprietary codecs and dvd-players, Dell also surrenders support too (Win OEM requires them to support the damn thing) to Canoncial. There's no gain in offering them without Windows not for the consumer and not for Acer. Extra cost of having more models would be taken from your wallet. Linux is a poor choice anyway if all they do is surf the web and use it for multimedia. Codecs are lacking, hardware acceleration aren't good outside homebrew codecs and adobe flash sucks even more then on windows. Windows is just fine then. So there's no incentive. Of course it would be fun if a OEM started to support a community distribution and contributed to them to make it work smoothly. But OEMs are just interested to sell hardware. Not systems and software. Intel is heavily invested in Moblin though, but that's MID/Netbook size devices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like