back to article Cool-er e-book reader to gain 3G, Wi-FI models

The Cool-er e-book viewer is about to get even cooler, with manufacturer Interead planning to release 3G and Wi-Fi models. A “next generation of connected Cool-er e-readers” will be available from mid-2010, the firm said, with the device’s 3G connection resulting from Interead’s golden handshake with US network carrier AT&T. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Will

What a wanky product name

Pretty much sums it up!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What a wanky product name

Could call it a "Will" and be totally shit.

2. Neoc

Yeah. Right.

And some day we may actually get one in Australia (I'm looking at you, Mr "we don't think australian consumers want an ebook reader, so our stores will deny it even exists" Sony Australia)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Asus E book

Heard a rumour Asus E book Touch will launch in Europe May Q2

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Flame

Is it just me?

I don't want a reader that's full of all singing all dancing go and fetch the paper downloading music playing note-taking touch sensitive crap... I want a reader full of books.

There's absolutely and utterly *no* need for over the air download, wifi, 3g, anything more than a USB connection - after all, how many people will want one of these who don't already have a computer and associated web access? Lose the connectivity, keep the battery life.

And if you're going to stick a music player in there, why not a phone? Sat-nav? Games, keyboard, camera... wait, that's a phone, these days, no? And why make it A4 size? I've got something I can use to view full-size or enlarged pdfs - it's a laptop.

Pah.

Something that can cope with raw text or maybe epub, and - if you must - reflow pdfs. Make it visible as a memory device on usb and you're sorted.

Sony Pocket looks the best at the moment...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Looks like a rebadged Netronix EB600

Checked the website

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm

The upgraded version loks like theri EB 600 "Grace" or "Swiftie"

Key "Upgrades" seem to be Win CE as an optional OS (But Linux 2.6 still seems solid), doubled number of page turns (16k from 8k) and hand writing input (margin notes at last?)

If they are sourcing a lot of the ebook reader hardware this sounds like the perfect place for MS to cripple Linux in this market with their "how much to dump Linux entirely" offer.

E-Ink certainly improves battery life but I wonder if it could go even further (with the same size battery and battery tech). Once a page is rendered then picking up control inputs from the buttons or touch screen would seem to be the only things that need checking. lowering (stopping) the clock rate should knock down power even further.

What does an un-rebadged Netronix go for? It's still quite a lot for not that much.

This topic is closed for new posts.