back to article Wireless Gigabit spec set for Q1 release

Chip makers and hardware manufacturers will be able to get their hands on the first version of the WiGig - Wireless Gigabit Ethernet - specification in Q1 2010, the organisation behind the would-be standard said today. The WiGig Alliance - which now comprises more than 30 members, with Nvidia, AMD and SK Telecom among the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

This is getting out of hand...

I fell like already sprouting a third leg and a few extra thumbs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Unanswered questions

They say that it is ideal for mobile applications, but if the range is only "over 10m" does that mean that the base station needs to be mobile as well to follow it?

Does using 60GHz mean that I will need a base station in every room of my house for my wireless mobile device to work in each room?

Given that a 10m CAT6 cable can be bought for about £5, and a 10m HDMI for about £15, how much does the 60GHz PHY add to the cost of an interface?

If the quoted throughput is 7Gbps, how much will I really see?

3. banana-naan
    FAIL

Snake Oil

I get a maximum of 35% stated speed on wireless G ( 2 meter distance ). Smallnetbuilder tells me that the fastest N router gives 73 Mbps - so that 24% stated speed (300Mbps). A little extrapolation tells me that gigabit wireless will give 13% of stated speed.

So a 1 Gbps connection will give 130 Mbps. A doubling in performance every generation seems achievable. However marketing departments now demand an order of magnitude and won't let the laws of physics get in the way of their claims! Snake oil for 21st generation.

4. Nexox Enigma

Someone needs gbit+ to a mobile device?

I have yet to see a very mobile laptop that could deal with a full gbit of wired networking speeds (thanks to hdd and other bottlenecks,) does anyone need a mobile device (I assume laptop-sized or smaller) that can go that fast? Keep in mind that streaming a full un-transcoded bluray would require about 50mbit, and I don't think consumers have any other use for bandwidth these days.

Hopefully that shorter range will mean loads less interference too, which so completely destroys the current wireless networks when they start to pile up on each other.

And the article's got no mention of how the 60ghz band is licensed in various parts of the world...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Ggguuuhhh aaarhhhhhgggg Needd moooree tinfoillllll..

oh goody, more electroSmog.

cant wait for the chinese to start making jammers on these higher frequncies.

though wernt the russians making CANCER inducing hardware against the US embassies in moscow using this kind of stuff..

personally i think its already all too late,

those in power have already been subverted by the alien invaders and now the third stage of the microwave towers are up, its only a matter of time till they activate there original military capabilities and were all toast.

After all our brains operate on low freqencies of 7-13hz and with the towers able to send penetrating radiation capable of inducing these frequencies in cells almost all over the world.

The need for banning of these towers and technology is urgent, though the self appointed leaders of this country are all busy selling us out.

Afterwards with 90%+ of the population wiped out, they should have no problems mopping up when the motherships arrive.

all hail the inheritors of planet earth, the future overlords...

;p

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like