back to article Swindon twins with Walt Disney World

The picturesque Wiltshire town of Swindon has beaten 24 less magical UK locations to become the first real-world twin of Florida's Walt Disney World. According to the BBC, the home of Honda motors and Billie Piper secured the honour after 20-year-old building society worker Rebecca Warren "made a video of her home town and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Valerion

I've been to Swindon and WDW

And there is NOTHING in common between the two. Unless they are going for a kind of ying/yang thing - The Happiest Place on Earth compared to The Most Miserable Place on Earth.

What were the "loser" towns that weren't up to Swindon's level of enchantedness?

1. John Greenwood 1
      FAIL

@ Valerion

[quote] What were the "loser" towns that weren't up to Swindon's level of enchantedness?[/quote]

Bradford & Keighley?

2. Number6

Poor Swindon

Fancy being twinned with some Mickey Mouse outfit from the US.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No one from the Walt Disney Company...

... bothered to visit Swindon then.

The lack of StreetView should have had the alarm bells ringing at corp. HQ.

4. Tom 101

I can see why...

... that roundabout system looks more fun than any of WDW's rides!

5. MJI Silver badge
    Flame

The exhibition

Easy - need a Brunel Statue. Short term loan of a King and a Castle, restore Evening Star and show them what real steam locomotives work like. Oh and a Western.

Sorry but Swindon to me means GWR, I forget about the miserable looking town centre.

Oh look the fire is lit, GWR 175 is next year!

1. Jimbo 6
      Go

Or...

A statue of David Brent. Dancing, possibly.

1. Cliff

That would be Slough, then?

But close enough, in fairness. Both grim.

6. Gavin Jamie

Well I live in Swindon

We have large car parks and just about as many shops as it is possible to squeeze into a given land mass.

We can offer a selection of large hotels.

Several people I have met also report large talking animals.

7. Bob_Hunk
    WTF?

Seriously?

Seriously? There will actually be a sign outside Disney World that says "Twinned with Swindon"...? WTF?

8. Ian Halstead

The last time I visited Swindon...

... was to see my g/f from nearby Wroughton. While I was there Elvis died. Do you suppose if I went again, Ant and Dec might cop it?

9. Aremmes
    Paris Hilton

Squint your eyes just a bit

You can make out an approximation of the outline of Mickey Mouse's head in the Magic Roundabout. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all that they took into consideration, especially given how so many people in Florida have never seen a proper roundabout.

Paris, 'cause she's a big fan of Hugh Wood.

10. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Up

"it is not known what the display will contain"

What about a giant animatronic Andy Partridge?

11. Jason Sweby
    WTF?

Picturesque?

I lived in Swindon. Picturesque? HA ha ha ha....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have a magical day

Swindon and Walt Disney World have a lot in common - I wouldn't want to be seen dead in either of them.

13. Daedalus
    Happy

The Frost Report

I remember a one-liner from Mr. Frost to the effect that there were no ghosts in Swindon.

Nobody would be seen dead there.

Come to think of it, that was probably written by Ronnie Barker, who wrote a lot

of Frost stuff (along with John Cleese).

14. Svantevid
    Happy

Wow.

Just wow. Those roundabouts explain why you Brits have such a quirky sense of humour.

Monty Python FTW.

15. Chika
    Badgers

"it is not known what the display will contain"

Um... pies?

(Just shows how old I am if I can remember the old Bowyer's ads!)

16. mmiied
    Joke

I am sure

there is a micky mouse joke here somewhere but I can not see it

17. Dan Breen
    Linux

Lets go Wildcats...

I think there may have been tie ins before this was announced, Swindon's Ice Hockey team's shirts look like left overs from the High School Musical. Their performance seems to match it as well...

Penguins - as we're lacking ducks

18. max allan
    WTF?

It's April, right?

Surely it's April 1st again. That would explain all the April showers we've been having lately... Or something like that. As someone who has to work here every day, I can't believe anyone would want to ally themselves with Swindon... http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Swindon

19. Martin Glenn
    Unhappy

Lincoln lost out then?

Swindon won over Lincoln.

Come on Lincoln for me would have been the far better choice, With its erm, Yeah, ah you got me there, Ah I know the cathederal was used in the Da Vinci Code, There you go clear winner.

20. HaplessPoet
    Happy

Says it All!

As you enter Swindon from the M4 (J16? I think) you pass a sign that says:

For Town Centre Shopping follow signs for Town Centre.

Poll Tax money well spent I say!

21. Mikey
    Coat

I can just imagine it now...

Hmm, so WDW will now contain an exhibit with a few speed cameras, some clone-shops, a concrete station, FGW headquarters and maybe a steam loco or two? It'd have to have a fog machine to provide the permenantly overcast look too.

I cant wait...

I would imagine Milton Keynes was another contender, but got rejected on the ground that it looks just like what they already have in the states, only far more depressing, and no-one there known how to use a roundabout ;O)

22. peyton?
    WTF?

You'll have to cut me some slack

We don't have a lot of traffic circles here in the US. But... that Magic Roundabout looks to me more like a Vortex of Death.

23. Nik Simpson

Disneyland?

I could have sworn Swindon was twinned with LegoLand when I lived there.

24. Jerren
    Boffin

After looking at the magic circle I get it...

This must be the city Disney deemed in most dire need of a monorail system...

25. Mark Monaghan
    Flame

Swindon?

I suppose the "Eternal Fires of Hell" were not available.

26. Rob Beard
    Terminator

Magic Roundabout?

Ahh so it has a name then?

I thought it was the Roundabout of Death as it's bloody evil, whoever designed it should be shot!

Having visited Swindon a couple of times, I can quite honestly say the only decent thing they had there was the Museum Of Computing at the old Swindon Uni site, I believe it's moved somewhere else in Swindon now, hopefully somewhere near the M4 so if I visit again I can avoid that bloody roundabout!!!

Rob

27. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

In defence of the Magic Roundabout

Everyone who sits their driving test in Swindon has to "do" the roundabout and it's really not that difficult. It's nice to know you can go round to the left or the right, or straight across. A joy, one of the few in the town.

I have also flashed across this roundabout unfortunately. I was cycling across and I must have been whizzing across at such a speed that my button up shirt unbuttoned itself, and while the roundabout it not as nasty as it looks you don't really want to stop on a bike in the middle. I hope I brightened up a few Swindonians mornings.

A girl from Swindon

28. Dave Edmondston
    Thumb Down

Meh.

It's a fecking advertising ruse that the Disney Corp. have spun. They've asked for a twin town in every major western country. The media have fallen for this and given them oodles of column inches. They don't give monkeys about whether it's Swindon or whatever; they just want publicity. So far they've had millions worth for the cost of a six inch brass effect plaque which will be lined up with countless others in disneyland, and the cost of flying some 15 minute hero and her offspring over for a photo-op.

29. TrixyB
    Happy

OMG

I'm so glad i've left this town and now live in the City.

This topic is closed for new posts.