back to article Google equips self for 'real-time' search

Last week, Microsoft unveiled all sorts of new stuff on the search engine known as Bing. Which means the Redmond obsessives at Google have spent the ensuing days desperately announcing as many of their own search thingys as they possible can. This includes everything from 'personalizing' results pages when users aren't signed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Thumb Down

Google: the new shortcut folder?

Lemme see, it's a real time search that preferentially brings you to the place you've been before. In my time, they called it "shortcuts". It was quite a welcome feature too. But now thanks to Google I can discard all my old dusty shortcuts and type "the register" in a minimalist search page to come here (not that I use my ElReg shortcut anyway, it's faster to type... especially as my browser, in a google-esque manner, auto-completes as soon as I type "th".)

If they go on like that, half the results of a Google search will be pages you've seen before (how useful...) while the other half will be twitter messages or Facebook wall comments (idem...).

2. Charles Manning

"Microsoft battling"?

Please.

MS is irrelevant in search and certainly not battle worthy. If Google sneezes they'll blow MS across the room.

3. unitron

Next big thing

You'll automatically get dumped into a chat room with everyone else whose search query matches yours.

4. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Who?

"popular sites like Twitter and FriendFeed"

Never heard of the second one and don't use the first one.

The thing with "popular" is that it doesn't equate to "good".

However I do intend to google "poo" and see how many ppl have just twattered about going for one / doing one right now. I plan on calling this poogle. Web 2.0rrhea fame here I come. One day there will be an app for it and I will be rich beyond wildest dreams.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Title

Everything on Twitter is contextless rubbish. This is a far more compelling reason for me to consider switching to Bing than even privacy- and cookie-type issues. Unfortunately Bing will play catch-up and add this worthless noise soon too.

6. Ebeneser
    FAIL

Microsoft

Think the Microsoft connection is a bit over blown. From where I sit Microsoft are a long way back and losing ground fast. If I were Microsoft I'd just focus on protecting my desktop monopoly and let everyone else get on with creating a brave new world. The unnamed Web CEO was probably the CEO of MSN, which is probably why they didn't name him/her.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Utter shite

All that real time search has done so far is piss me off. It pushes the results even further down the page, so now with 1-3 adverts + a couple of twatter posts my results are almost below the page fold.

And to be honest I don't give a shit what anyone who spends their time on twatter has to say, because it will only be puerile nonsense and marketing crap.

See you over at bing everyone!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like