back to article Pure Sensia widget-running DAB radio

As a rule DAB radios don't really blow the wind up our skirt here at Register Hardware, but when Pure announced its new Sensia back in September, we had a brief Marilyn Monroe moment. Pure Sensia Pure's Sensia: Sound idea? With a 5.7in 640 x 480 capacitive glass touchscreen, social networking apps, DAB/DAB+, RDS FM and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

Who designed this?

Absolutely hideous design.

For the same price you could buy a netbook and run widgets.. or anything else you wanted, and use online streaming which is no doubt superior to DAB. I can't even see the point

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

A fair sized chunk of cash

And not exactly silf like in size.

One possibility you review missed is the obvious.

Too slow a processor.

What if it simply hasn't got the grunt to do video or read the screen fast enough.

Perhaps the next version.

3. Nick Leaton

What's missing?

It's missing a webcam. With a web cam you could have skype.

That's the missing feature, otherwise it almost makes my "I covert it list"

4. ffrankmccaffery

ugly

it certainly touches the senses. man that is one fucking ugly piece of kit but than its exactly the kind of thing that some twat who twits would buy

5. Alan Brown Silver badge
    FAIL

Do people actually buy DAB?

As far as I can see, in any statistical answer, it's "no"

DAB in the UK appears to still be a product chasing an audience - and failing miserably.

That's not helped by the UK using its own unique standards - which keeps the supply-side market small and expensive.

Things might change if someone produces a "world" DAB radio but I can't see that happening for a while.

1. Neil Dawson

Please read a little wider...

@ Alan Brown

While DAB may have it's issues and while this unit may not be perfect, the reader would do with being aware of a few details

Like it or lump it, over 10million sets sold in the UK "so in any statistical answer "no"" is just plain wrong and ill-informed. I suspect even more will be sold at Christmas.

DAB and DAB+ (which this unit implements) is in regular use in Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland as well as the UK.

It's being trailed in Brunei Darussalam, Czech Republic, France, Ghana, Hong Kong, Hungary India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mexico, Namibia, New Zealand, Poland, Slovenia, South Africa, Taiwan, Republic of China, Turkey and Vietnam.

Hence, this is hardly a UK only product.

2. It wasnt me
      Thumb Down

@Alan Brown

I take it you dont own a DAB radio?

Try it, they are tuly brilliant. I personally own 4. 3 of them are made by Pure. I genuinely think they are some of the best kit I have bought in years.

As the other poster pointed out, have a peek at some of your facts, cos they are quite demonstrably pure crap.

6. redpola
    FAIL

Horrible horrible experience

I saw one of these recently in a local John Lewis. I actually walked over to it because it looked so interesting. After a moment playing with it I walked off with the impression that it was a pile of shit. There must be something seriously wrong with their business of it allows products this bad to actually make it to market in this state. I counted 8 seconds from me activating a text input area to the on screen keyboard showing up. Then another few seconds before it accepted input. The flick-scrolling is a joke. There was plenty of "I want to scroll this content but I'll just hold my finger down and make tiny movements until I've 'grabbed' the content" after which you may as well toss a coin to see if the scroll will actually happen, although you probably don't have any coins left because you wasted them on an unusable radio with pre-alpha firmware.

This reminded me a lot of the nokia n800. Great idea, but a UI that just doesn't give the user what they want. If you have an iPhone you know what works and what doesn't.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Marmite

I love it!

8. Hardcastle
    Coat

Wind up the skirt...

Actually, I think it's the wind coming out of the skirt, and a respirator is highly prescribed, as well as a lit match...

Mine's the one with the Beano bottle.

9. Hermes Conran

Can you kick it?

yes you can

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like