back to article Intel to intro next-gen netbook Atom on 10 January?

Expect a raft of new netbooks based on Intel's next-generation 'Pine Trail' Atom chippage after 10 January - the day the products will be formally launched, it seems. That date is slap-bang in the middle of the Consumer Electronics Show. CES, which kicks off in Las Vegas on 7 January, has long expected to host Pine Trail's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Si 1

When are we going to get faster processors?

Intel seem to be stuck at 1.6GHz with this CPU. I know the whole point of a netbook is to be cheap and battery friendly, but the screens sizes keep going up and so do the prices. I'd actually like to see the performance increase for once.

1. Quirkafleeg
      FAIL

Re: When are we going to get faster processors?

Increasing the clock speed isn't the only way to boost performance…

2. boe

Not fast enough

What about SPEED? I just set up a Vaio X laptop for a client and it was very sleek but too slow at 2GHz. Any news on faster atom procesors or 64bit Atom processors? As far as I heard the new processor is 1.6 GHz only and a 1.8 GHz processor will be released later.

3. JC 2
    Grenade

@ When are we going to get faster processors?

Don't hold your breath, Intel doesn't want to cannibalize it's more expensive CPU sales by giving us what we want instead.

4. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    FAIL

@Si 1

I think it's not only about energy consumption, but also heat dissipation. Netbooks need chips that run cool.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atom

The Atom was supposed to "take over" the mobil phone market -- and did not. Now Intel are stuffing into small notebooks aka "netbooks". Who knows where this "me too" low power processor will wind up next? Wherever that is it will never be innovative. It will however be produced in large quantities.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Better how?

Google finds me web pages saying that this processor's main improvement is better integrated graphics provision, and power economy, but what I crave is the power for effective speech recognition - portable. Well, maybe not in this generation - unless I can send speech signals back to my desktop PC for decoding, or to some poor typist in India. Then again... can you put more CPUs in one PC?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like