back to article Footie fans flock to clock 'Miss of the Century'

Football fans worldwide have flocked to YouTube to catch what has been dubbed "The Miss of the Century" - a open-goal howler by Harrow Borough's Rocky Baptiste: Mercifully for Baptiste, Harrow Borough beat their Ryman League rivals Waltham Abbey 5-3 in Saturday's match, but the poor bloke's epic fail has "now replaced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fifi
    IT Angle

pointless

I still can't see the attraction of watching overpaid prima donnas kick a ball about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A title is required

So, if they were underpaid, it would be interesting?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Well maybe not interesting...

But I'd hate them less.

2. Adam Williamson 1
      FAIL

Um...overpaid?

I doubt anyone playing for Harrow Borough in the Ryman League is what you'd call overpaid.

2. The Original Ash

That last one...

How can it not be Southgate missing the winning penalty in a World Cup match?

Twice?

(I agree with fifi; Football is the sport of gentlemen, played by animals.)

3. Dcope
    Thumb Down

Ah that would be....

that game they play with that bag of air i never watch.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Rosenthal?

Last time I heard that one being discussed was just after Ryan Giggs had shot straight over the bar from right smack in front of the wide-open Arsenal goal.

The commentators made the point that in the Rosenthal howler, the ball "bobbled" off a divot in the turf as he went to strike it. They then replayed the Giggs shot in slomo, paying particular attention to the movement of the ball as he went to thump it in the sunshine on a perfect Old Trafford surface. Not so much as a hint of deviation. One of the great comedy footballing moments, enhanced by the rib-tickling sarcasm of the Arsenal supporters belting out "Giggsie is my hero" for the rest of the match.

1. Gary 23

Funny..

Funny how Arsenal fans seem to forget the wonderful goal Giggsie scored against them in the last ever F.A. Cup semi final reply.

Magic stuff

5. BossHog
    FAIL

LOL!

LOL!

6. TheRobster
    Dead Vulture

All I hear in mewling

Dear Sir,

I don't ordinarily read this publication, It's not my type of thing, you know. I prefer cats and so forth. However, despite this I must confess to being flabbergasted that there is absolutely no feline content within this article whatsoever. Come to that, I think I've read every article posted today and, well this month really, in the hope of seeing something, anything about cats but to no avail. I feel that I must protest in the strongest manner.

Despite the title of the article clearly stating the content is about "foot ball", I must admit that I still clicked the link with a sense of levity, confident that this time I would find some pussy-cat related pics. But no, imagine my sense of distress when instead of the furry feline fun I was clearly (not) promised by the title of the article, I instead find inane mumblings about a sportsman with his boots on the wrong feet. I mean, "FOOTIE FANS FLOCK TO CLOCK 'MISS OF THE CENTURY", how can that possibly have nothing to do with cats?

Frankly I'm disgusted. I feel completely mislead by the writer of this article and the whole publication all together. A friend of mine told me "The internet's all about pussy" and I honestly think this should be the case. Captions about food are optional.

Until your publication makes significant moves in this direction, I'm afraid I shall not read any more. Apart from all the time, so I can complain about the lack of cats.

I remain, sir,

Disgusted of Braintree.

----------------------------------

In other news, some people don't like football, and feel the need to tell just about EVERYBODY.

Good for them.

7. TomP

@fif and Dcope

Neither of you like football, but you both clicked and commented on a story that is quite obviously about football. Why would you do this if you dislike it so much?

P.S. TeeCee - I was at OT when Giggs missed that sitter against Arsenal, but it was at least on the edge of the box (as I remember it anyway!) so I wouldn't regard it as a contender for worst ever. Definitely still a shocker though!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not the worst.

The Rosenthal miss was much worse. The Harrow one was a shot from a very tight angle, almost on the line, with a defender closing him down. Rosenthal was straight on with the whole goal to aim at.

1. Lee 13
      Pint

Aww come on....

he shot from almost on the goal line in the middle of the goal.

What I found funnier was that everyone else seemed confused.

"What do we do now? It's not a kick-off is it?"

"Err I think he missed it"

"Nah, you sure?"

"It's a throw-in"

"Who's goal is this one anyway? That was good defensive work from him, are we kicking the wrong way?"

His second was a hit and hope. What nobody mentions is that was an own goal!!

I assume the IT angle was that he is Ess Haych IT?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

quoting Homer...

"I watched 48 straight hours of soccer*.... I almost saw a goal!"

* (Homer's 'merkin, sorry).

Beer, 'cause the fella sure could use one!

10. J 3
    Stop

Miss of the century?

Damn, and me here clicking on the link thinking this had something to do with wet T-shirts and other such contests... Must have been the earlier PETA article's effect.

11. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

Hmm

Geoff Thomas' miss for England against France in 1992 takes some beating.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like