back to article Gervais pic used in amusingly rubbish failed bank fraud

Crooks tried to impersonate Ricky Gervais by using a picture of The Office character David Brent mounted in a counterfeit passport as part of a comically inept attempt to withdraw a large sum from the comedian's bank account. The ingenious retro-fraudsters tried to extract £200,000 from the comic actor's bank account in order …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fun, ans scary

Imagine if the tellers *hadn't* become suspicious and it would have become public that the poor chap was successfully scammed out of a large chunk of money using blatantly fake ID. Like, oh, the people replacing the digital photo in a passport with a picture of a baby and another with a snap of Elvis, who then easily passed through customs with it. What was it again, fully automatic facial recognition? Don an Elvis mask and you're good. Identity thieves may have to smarten up a little, but not as much as we'd like to think, assuming we think about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wheres the story...

...Ricky "I'm kerrrraazy yet dead pan "Gervais has been pretending to be funny for years....

IMHO the most overated person since Hugh "Bumbling Englishman" Grant

3. Xpositor

What does gold bullion look like?

Oh - thanks "Sun", for qualifying the article with a picture of gold; wasn't sure what it looked like.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have stuck to pop

there he was a genius, Seona Dancing warm up act for Duran Duran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74QfMTiJXA&feature=related

Oddly enough if you do zap the link in you have been ricky rolled, could start a new craze.

5. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

The Sun wishes you better luck next time

How kind of the sun to publish a picture of Ricky which is perfect for a passport photo, for anyone wanting to try this in the future.

6. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

Cleese? Cleese, is that you...?

C'mon, out with it. Come on out of there, John, we know it's you...

"...but, sir, this is a Dog License with the word 'Dog' crossed out and the word 'Cat' written over it in crayon..."

7. Lord Lien
    Paris Hilton

Why Ricky?

They should have tried it with Karl "Pilkey 0 1" Pilkington's account, they would only need a picture off "A FUCKING ORANGE" because Karl has a head shaped like one according to Ricky....

Paris, because Karl makes her look intelligent.

8. DrewHew
    Coat

"Masterminds"?????

Ok I'm miffed @ your use of the word "masterminds" to describe these idiots...I'm leaving!!!

Hand me the one with the Benny Hill passport in the inside pocket...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With an insider you don't need all that work

What you do is

1 - get someone inside the bank to play along

2 - file a fraudulent change of address at the bank

3 - get your friend to close the account and write out a cheque in a name not even on the mandate.

No, I'm not kidding - it happened to me and it'll go to small claims soon. How can this be done? Well, quite simply because the police is 100% not interested in fraud causes and won't follow up.

The UK has become an absolute paradise for fraudsters - IMHO lead by No 10.

10. James Condron

If it is in The Scum..

...Chances are it didn't really happen. I'm shocked el reg; when did we start believing anything Dominic 'Dunnit for the boobs' Mohan shat on out on our doorsteps?

This topic is closed for new posts.